Trimming a Beef Tenderloin

I have been dealing with the agony of living in a 'walmart community' for the last couple weeks.  A walmart community is one where if you can't get what you need at walmart, you just can't get it.  I don't have easy access to a full service butcher.  The closest one to me is in Asheville NC and it's just over an hour away.  I went up there last Friday to get a chateaubriand to make a Beef Wellington and they didn't have what I needed.  

I went to YouTube to find out if I could possibly do a trim on my own with a whole tenderloin and found this extremely informative video.  I'm headed out now to buy a whole tenderloin....

I hear you John, a good go-to butcher is a great asset to have. The problem is they are going the way of the small Ma & Pa businesses. If you are fortunate enough to have any good ones near you, I would encourage you to support them. 

I never understood the concept of "washing" meat before it is handled or cooked. All the guy in the video managed to do was to totally contaminate his entire sink area. John, do you, or does anyone else out their wash the meat? It's going to be cooked anyway, so what does washing it accomplish? I don't even wash out the inside of a whole bird before I prepare it. Maybe I am being negligent. I would like to hear a good argument for washing meat, and maybe I would change my procedures in handling meat.

I think It's useful just when you want to path it dry and sear the meat.

Cleaner for your hands and paper towels, with a better final result (absolutely no liquids are going to stick to the meat if you wash it and dry it well)

@andyscalzo

@Cagno's post answers this question.  There is a liquid on the meat when you open a cryovac. I'm not exactly sure what that is... it's not blood but it is natural and it forms a film on the meat if you let it dry on there.  I prefer to rinse mine especially if I plan to sear it.  For the most part, it's about appearance.

@ckreef

I picked up an 8lb prime grade tenderloin at Costco last night and i plan to break it down myself to get the chateaubriand.  I might try to make a simple video of the process just for fun but we'll see.  This video makes it look rather simple.  I think the most difficult part of the process will be the removal of the silver skin which couldn't be that difficult.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@andyscalzo

@Cagno's post answers this question.  There is a liquid on the meat when you open a cryovac. I'm not exactly sure what that is... it's not blood but it is natural and it forms a film on the meat if you let it dry on there.  I prefer to rinse mine especially if I plan to sear it.  For the most part, it's about appearance.

@ckreef

I picked up an 8lb prime grade tenderloin at Costco last night and i plan to break it down myself to get the chateaubriand.  I might try to make a simple video of the process just for fun but we'll see.  This video makes it look rather simple.  I think the most difficult part of the process will be the removal of the silver skin which couldn't be that difficult.

I have done this before and it is simple. As he shows the separate parts are obvious.  A skinny sharp boning knife is a good thing to use like he did.  I think it is fun to do this. Yes getting the silver skin off is a tinny bit of trouble but as long as the blade is turned up there is no problem.

I can't wait to see it cooked on the Kamado.