HungryMan

Searing with Lid Up or Down?

i  prefer to take off the steak.... leave lid open .. this gets the fire  heated  and then  sear with flames  flipping often .. till i like the look of my steak!

Never with the dome open. 

You can get a raging bed of coals for a super hot sear but always dome closed so you have some measure of control. 

If you have a need to go dome open get a kettle or similar $20 cheapie grill or for that matter my fire pit. 

Thanks all for the responses! So if searing with the lid down, First should I set the temperature to my desired preference, then open the lid and place my meat on the grill then finally close the lid? Once I place the meat on the grill and close the lid I should be searing at my set temp thus maintaining a "measure of control"?

My vote would be lid open depending on the circumstances. When I have used my sous vide to do a steak, lid open works better in my opinion. I am not looking for the meat to cook any more than it already has, I'm just looking to put some color on it.

14 hours ago, michaelt said:

I'm with Marauders, I get the temp way up for the final sear and leave the lid open with an eye on the meat the entire time.

same.  if youre searing for a minute or two, whats the point of closing the lid?  is it going to keep the meat super-moist during that minute or two.

guys who sear with the lid closed... don;t let your mind wander and forget to burp each time you open or BOOM!!