New guy with a plan.

Dankfoot

What's up guys. First post here and wanted to say hi. 

I will be doing a 15lb turkey for the first time on my new vision.   Lol, and when I say "new" I mean brand new never used, never lit, never nothing. 

I was hoping to at lease get a butt in however it's not looking promising. 

I do have a plan though.  I'm just going to roll with it.

Cheers 

What's up guys. First post here and wanted to say hi. 
I will be doing a 15lb turkey for the first time on my new vision.   Lol, and when I say "new" I mean brand new never used, never lit, never nothing. 
I was hoping to at lease get a butt in however it's not looking promising. 
I do have a plan though.  I'm just going to roll with it.
Cheers 

Check the temperature frequently, when I did my first turkey in my vision I discovered it cooked much faster in the kamado than in the oven, I think due to the convection properties of the kamado. So sadly it was over cooked...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I did mine I used a diffuser ,then used a roaster pan to keep all of the juices ,then watched the temp gauge on the grill and kept it to the same temp you would use in the house . I cooked it upside down for half the cook then flipped it for the rest so it was completely brown all the way around   

002.JPG

Welcome and congrats on the purchase.  I'm sure you'll love it.

My bit of unsolicited advice is that, in lieu of a practice cook, or two, just give yourself ample time to get up and stabilized at your desired temp.  Assuming you're doing it as more of an outdoor oven and not a low and slow cook, you'll have plenty of fuel to go for many hours beyond what you'll need.  So, a couple/few hours before you really want to get the bird on the grill, go out and fire it up.  Keep in mind that it's better to creep up to temp and not overshoot.  Poke around here and on google and you can find plenty of great instructional videos on getting the grill up to temp and heat soaked.  Once you hit your temp, you should be able to keep at that temp for several hours, very easily.

Good luck and have fun!

Hey Guys,

Sorry it has been a while since I responded. I have been slammed at work and life.  Of course the 3 day hangover didn't help any.

So the day before Thanksgiving I did have a chance to get the grill going just to test.  During this test I didn't see any issues so I felt pretty good about the turkey. However, I didn't have a choice.

I did brine the turkey for about 22 hours.  I wanted to go longer but I just ran out of time.

Thanksgiving morning I got up at 4am and injected the turkey with butter, chicken stock and spices.  By the time I got everything going I didn't get the bird on the grill until 6am. This was a little concerning but there was nothing that I could do about it.

I smoked the turkey with apple wood at an almost constant 280 degrees.  The grill worked perfect.

I got the bird off at around 1pm.  Let it rest for 45 min or so.

End result = Killer juicy turkey.  I do believe it was the best I have had with maybe the exception of a fried turkey.  Everyone said they enjoyed it so that is all that matters.

A couple days later I did bacon burgers. Wow they were great also.

I going to like this thing.

Cheers

Dank

Good information here, so 15lb bird at 280 for 7 hours?  What did temp on the breast did you pull the turkey?  Traditional liquid brine wiht 1 cup of kosher salt per gallon, did it taste salty?   I'm sure it almost reached equilibrium at 22 hours.

-Roy