In2Fish

Cured Salmon, prep before smoking.

Thanks for the bump.  Question about the "cold smoking"   Is that with a pellet tube, or maze, where the salmon doesn't get hot at all, or is this using lump charcoal and smoking wood, just keeping it at lower temps.  If so, what temps, 170-180?

On 11/23/2016 at 9:08 PM, In2Fish said:

I smoked the salmon today, one piece for ~ 3 hours and the other for about 6 hours, using cherry wood. Thanksgiving should be yummy.

DSCN7824.JPG

bumping this again to see what temp you had this at?  I assume that you had some charcoal lit, as I see a probe for grate temps in the pic.

@Shortyque and @Bgosnell151  sorry for the delayed response.

I use the Big Joe as the smoke chamber, and my Joe Jr as the smoke source and use a 3" aluminum dryer duct to pipe the Joe Jr to the Big Joe.   The Joe Jr temp was relatively hot 350F (which I believe provided for a better cleaner burn of the wood), and the Big Joe rarely got to 60F, usually the mid-50s, the outside temp was about freezing or below if I remember correctly.

DSCN7888.jpg

DSCN7887.jpg

On 11/21/2016 at 9:42 PM, In2Fish said:

6 grams pink salt

just to confirm, you are not talking cure #2, but Himalayan salt, correct?  Sorry, I am dying to make this and don't want to screw it up.  I really want to like Salmon, but haven't found a way that I do yet.

22 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

just to confirm, you are not talking cure #2, but Himalayan salt, correct?  Sorry, I am dying to make this and don't want to screw it up.  I really want to like Salmon, but haven't found a way that I do yet.

Ive only used cure salt #1, not #2 or Himalayan