Reverse Seared Prime Rib on the Summit Charcoal Grill (GrillGrates) video

I hope you guys like this one. My plan before Black Friday was to do a prime rib video and another video where I do a plug for some of my favorite bbq gadget companies. (Nobody pays me to do this so when I say "plug" I mean it just a personal recommendation...was thinking Christmas present ideas.)   Well, I ran out of time so I ended up doing the prime rib and just talking about some of my favorite toys.

I'm very happy with how this Prime Rib turned out. My wife said it was the best one I've done...In fairness, I was running late messing with the camera so she was REALLY hungry when I got done, but I'll take it.  I also think the "money shots" towards the end turned out pretty.  I just wish my wife would have read my mind when I thought REALLY HARD (but said nothing) about asking her to grab some horseradish sauce. LOL. 

Awesome video, man! It's almost 1 am, my stomach is growling, and I'm wishing I could kick that rib roast through my iPad. Last year I scored two very nice boneless prime rib roasts on special, they ended up being cut into steaks. While they were awesome, I won't do that again if I score another deal this year, I'm gonna take note from the Maniac and cook the whole dang thing! 

14 hours ago, shuley said:

Gotta love that video. I'm actually reverse seating a rib roast tomorrow so this has me pumped for that. I love your style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Shuley. Report back how it turned out. 

13 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Awesome video, man! It's almost 1 am, my stomach is growling, and I'm wishing I could kick that rib roast through my iPad. Last year I scored two very nice boneless prime rib roasts on special, they ended up being cut into steaks. While they were awesome, I won't do that again if I score another deal this year, I'm gonna take note from the Maniac and cook the whole dang thing! 

It's expensive but for for a once a year type thing it's totally worth the cost. It's a lot cheaper than what you would pay eating out. 

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

Another great video. Rib roast looks delicious. 

Thanks Charles. It was great. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KJKiley
      Curious about thoughts on starting vs finishing a reverse sear on high heat.  I've only used the low then high approach thus far, and the results have been good, but wonder about the opposite.  For context, I do the low heat on the KJ and high heat on the gasser (faster for me to get to temp and more convenient), so I don't have a concern about trying to get the KJ temp down.

Assume a reasonably thick cut (at least 1.5"/4 cm), high heat at least 500F, low heat 225-250F.

Pros and cons of one method vs the other? 
    • By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      Did a reverse sear over the weekend with some chimichurri sauce.
      Scotch fillet a good inch or two thick smokes with cheery wood for about 1.30 hours and then seared. Set my probe on rare so internal was 49°but a little too rare for the wife so next time I will sear longer of go for a medium rare. The steak was fabulous for me dressed with sauce and some roasted veggies.
      I have ordered some dry aging bags, so I hope there get to me soon as I am super excite to try dry aging and then reverse searing or even just a grill/searing.
      Any tips and/or links for dry again will be appreciated.

Keep smoking

• By PatTheHat
      Hi Guys,

Took my first crack at reverse Searing on my KDC2. Turned out good and to everyone's approval. Did them at 225*C and had a meat thermometer in. Timing should be about and hour but they got to 110* really quick (20-25 min) and a couple were even higher when I took them off to rest.

Only one was cut properly at 2.5" think but that one was still ready to rest only about 10 min after the others. They turned out and but should I have gone with 3"? I still felt the 2.5" steak could have been better and all we're closer to medium than med-rare.

Any suggestions are welcomed, trying to get better!

Thanks guys, cheers!

• By Kamado_Rich
      I thought I'd care a great cook experience with you all that I just had.  I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe III and I reverse seared some USDA Prime Ribeye's that I picked up at CostCo today.  I used the flexible cooking system and used one half of the heat deflector plates and left the other half open to flame.  I seasoned the steak in the Meat Church Holy Cow seasoning and let them sweat out while I got the grill to temperature. I set big reg to 225 for smoking and it took about an hour (give or take to get the ribeye's to about 120 degrees. After that I opened up the Big Joe and let her rip to about 500-550 degrees and then seared the steaks for about three minutes aside.  I also made a compound butter consisting of rosemary, Italian seasoning, fresh garlic, salt and pepper.  After searing, I took tented the steaks in foil and let the compound butter melt on top.  Lastly, I did some twice baked potatoes in the oven.  All that said, the pictures speak volumes compared to this brief description.  This is probably the best steak I've ever cooked.  Just wanted to share.  Thanks to everyone that's continued to help me on my journey in Kamado style cooking!

• By Tarnation
      My sister gifted our mom and me a steak dinner for our birthdays this month.  Meaning she bought the steaks and I cooked them.  I used a mix of seasoning salts, Lawry's, garlic salt, and something else my dad had in the cabinet to season them.  I wish I could have really let the seasoning salts do their job for awhile, but basically just let them come up to room temperature since they were purchased today and we were eating them tonight.  I low and slowed them on my Akorn for about an hour @250ish using my BBQube and Bluetooth temp monitor to get them to about 115-120 internal.  I then transferred them to some cast iron skillets with melted butter in them I had heated to 450-500 on my dad's gas burner and seared them for 1 minute per side.  Overall fantastic results. I wanted a good medium/medium-rare for mine and I think I got it dead on.  Money shots provided.