Baby Back Maniac

Reverse Seared Prime Rib on the Summit Charcoal Grill (GrillGrates) video

I hope you guys like this one. My plan before Black Friday was to do a prime rib video and another video where I do a plug for some of my favorite bbq gadget companies. (Nobody pays me to do this so when I say "plug" I mean it just a personal recommendation...was thinking Christmas present ideas.)   Well, I ran out of time so I ended up doing the prime rib and just talking about some of my favorite toys.

I'm very happy with how this Prime Rib turned out. My wife said it was the best one I've done...In fairness, I was running late messing with the camera so she was REALLY hungry when I got done, but I'll take it.  I also think the "money shots" towards the end turned out pretty.  I just wish my wife would have read my mind when I thought REALLY HARD (but said nothing) about asking her to grab some horseradish sauce. LOL. 

Awesome video, man! It's almost 1 am, my stomach is growling, and I'm wishing I could kick that rib roast through my iPad. Last year I scored two very nice boneless prime rib roasts on special, they ended up being cut into steaks. While they were awesome, I won't do that again if I score another deal this year, I'm gonna take note from the Maniac and cook the whole dang thing! 

14 hours ago, shuley said:

Gotta love that video. I'm actually reverse seating a rib roast tomorrow so this has me pumped for that. I love your style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Shuley. Report back how it turned out. 

13 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Awesome video, man! It's almost 1 am, my stomach is growling, and I'm wishing I could kick that rib roast through my iPad. Last year I scored two very nice boneless prime rib roasts on special, they ended up being cut into steaks. While they were awesome, I won't do that again if I score another deal this year, I'm gonna take note from the Maniac and cook the whole dang thing! 

It's expensive but for for a once a year type thing it's totally worth the cost. It's a lot cheaper than what you would pay eating out. 

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

Another great video. Rib roast looks delicious. 

Thanks Charles. It was great. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      My sister gifted our mom and me a steak dinner for our birthdays this month.  Meaning she bought the steaks and I cooked them.  I used a mix of seasoning salts, Lawry's, garlic salt, and something else my dad had in the cabinet to season them.  I wish I could have really let the seasoning salts do their job for awhile, but basically just let them come up to room temperature since they were purchased today and we were eating them tonight.  I low and slowed them on my Akorn for about an hour @250ish using my BBQube and Bluetooth temp monitor to get them to about 115-120 internal.  I then transferred them to some cast iron skillets with melted butter in them I had heated to 450-500 on my dad's gas burner and seared them for 1 minute per side.  Overall fantastic results. I wanted a good medium/medium-rare for mine and I think I got it dead on.  Money shots provided.

• By Bonux
      Hi,

I'm Matt. I currently don't own a kamado but I have the budget to buy one. The problem is making up my mind. I have narrowed it down to two choices : summit charcoal grill center or big joe 3. I Already own a kettle and a WSM.

I have been going back and forth for months and it's driving me nuts. I can only have one and it will have to last me many years.

Hope to find the info here to finally make up my mind.

Matt
    • By St1brew
      First of all, I would like to say that I hope everyone had a great Christmas or holiday that was spent with the special people in your life. Happy New Year to all. 

Now onto the cook!
      Preheat the oven to 500 f. 
      We started with a 5.5 lbs four bone "prime" prime rib. We left it out for the majority of the morning to let it get to room temp. This cook was done almost exactly to the Food Wishes method, video here: Food Wishes Prime Rib.
      Here is me coating it with 2 sticks of softened butter. I used freshly ground black pepper, garlic, oregano, cilantro, and rosemary in the butter in no specific measurements(eyeballed it). It smelled great. Wish I had lavender in the house, but went with what I had.

Note the dog, who would've gladly eaten ANY of this raw....

After that, simply coat the butter with kosher salt.
      This couldn't be any more simple from here. Make sure the oven is at 500. Then it's 5 minutes per pound rounding up(ex 5.5lbs = 30 minutes cook time) add one minute for heat loss on opening oven. As soon as the timer goes off, shut the oven off and place two hours on the timer. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN! At the end of two hours, remove meat. I probed mine because I wanted to be sure it would be done, and admittedly I was a bit worried and felt like I was flying blind with an expensive piece of beef. Here's the probe right out of the oven.

130 right on the button! The Bones were removed with a very slight pull.
      Still a bit concerned, I was eager to see the cross section, so I sliced right down the middle.
      I probably could have used a butter knife. Here are the halves.

And finally here are the MONEY SHOTS!

It was delicious and I recommend giving it a try. My wife made some nice cream cheese whipped potatoes, steamed broccoli and stuffed mushrooms. We ate it with a nice glass of red wine, which complemented the meal nicely. Everyone loved it(even the dog and cat, that had a few small scraps)!
    • By DerHusker
      It’s been a while since I last cooked anything let alone posted a cook. Sorry for that but life is just very busy and hectic for us these days.  It’s also been a while since I’ve had Tri Tip and it recently went on sale, so I picked up this 3.79 lb. behemoth.

I took it out of the package and trimmed it up a little.

I them minced some fresh Rosemary from my garden.

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the minced Rosemary.

I wrapped this up in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 6 hours. I then made up some Tzatziki with I also let rest in the fridge for 6 hours.

Around 4:00 I started prepping the Redhead for the cook. I started by spreading a layer of red oak chunks in the bottom of the Vortex ring.

Around 5:00 I lit up a chimney of lump and poured it over the oak chunks. I place the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then took it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear!  (Here a pic without the flash so you can see it)

I then placed the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While that was happening I sliced up some veggies.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

I had purchased some nice Pita bread so I made a Tri Tip Pita sandwich.

Delicious!
    • By DerHusker
      To celebrate my new patio cabinets we invited some friends over so I thawed out a 2 1/2" ribeye steak I had in the freezer.

I unwrapped it and seasoned with Primo Chicago Stockyard steak seasoning.

I wrapped it up and let it take a 6 hour get happy rest. I now prepped some heirloom carrots

and sliced them up so they were ready to steam right before we eat.

Also washed and prepped some small potatoes so they were ready. Around 45 minutes before our guests arrived I started up the kettle. I tried my new Vortex out for this cook.

Around 30 minutes before our guests arrived I put on the potatoes and the steak.

It rode right about 330 degrees for the next hour.

My friend had brought a Belgian Ale with him so we drank a glass of that while the meat and potatoes were cooking. Here it is once the meat alarm went off at 113 degree I.T.

I remove everything and tented the steak with foil. We then cooked up some shrimp marinated in lemon juice and garlic that our friends had brought.

I then opened open the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear.

Once I thought it was like the sun I put the steak on for 60 seconds.

Flipped it and let it cook another 60 seconds.

I brought this in the house and let it rest for 10 minutes. I then cut the rib bone off

and sliced it up into approximately 1/2" slices.

I now placed the slices onto a wooden cutting board for serving and squeezed some blue cheese and herb compound butter on the top.

I took this out to the table and we all served up a plate with the lemon garlic shrimp, baked potato and the heirloom carrots.

So good!

Thanks for looking.