• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Setzler

Bleu Cheese Compound Butter

2 posts in this topic

compoundbutter.jpg

I made some bleu cheese compound butter to use on some ribeye steaks last night and though I'd share this recipe with you:

Bleu Cheese Compound Butter

• 3/4 lb unsalted butter (12oz/3 sticks), softened
  • 1/2 lb crumbled bleu cheese (8oz)
  • 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
  • 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Cream then butter and then fold in the rest of the ingredients.  You can do this in a food processor but I recommend folding in the crumbled bleu cheese by hand so it maintains it's 'crumbled' nature in the compound butter.  Dump it out on saran wrap and roll it up and then twist it into a tube.  Slice off as needed and store in the freezer when not in use...

I like to use a slice of this on a big steak.... it's awesome!  

DerHusker, TKOBBQ and danielc like this

Although my recipe is slightly different, yours sound fantastic. This stuff is a fantastic topping on steak. :good:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      The local market had Top Sirloin on sale so I picked up a steak. (This was actually $5.31)

Rubbed it down with the above ingredients and wrapped it up to get happy overnight.

Got my Jumbo Joe scorching hot and place on the steak. (Sorry for the blurry Pic)

Seared it for 2 minutes and then flipped it and seared the other side for 2 minutes. I then moved it over the indirect side for 6 minutes and it was done.

I brought it in and let it rest for 5 minutes. I then sliced it up, plated it and then spread on some softened Blue-Cheese & Herb Compound Butter. (See Link: Blue Cheese and Herb Compound Butter)

Delicious!

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      One of my favorite toppings on steak is Blue-cheese & Herb Compound Butter. I made this many time before but I ran out of what I had in the freezer so I made some more up Monday night. Here are the ingredients for this batch. You can load it up with your favorite ingredients. (like John's recipe below)

5 oz. Crumbled Blue Cheese

1 stick Unsalted Butter

1/4 cup Italian Parsley Leaves (Minced)

1 tsp. Thyme

1 tsp. Dill

1 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Place the blue cheese and the soften butter in a bowl.

Add the minced the parsley, and other ingredients and thoroughly mix together with a fork.

Spoon approximately 1/4 of the mixture onto some plastic wrap.

Take the front edge of the wrap and tuck over the mixture and roll this up and then twist the ends tightly to form a log.

Repeat with the balance of the mixture.

I took one log and put in into the fridge and the other three I froze for future use.

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      A while ago I purchased this nice looking Bone-in Ribeye with the intention of entering it into a Contest.

Unfortunately I didn’t read the entry deadline correctly and missed the cutoff time. No worries, I froze it and waited for a better time to cook it. A couple days ago I thawed it out.

I frenched the Ribeye.

Here are the ingredients for the rub. (Same as I use on Tri-Tip)

I finely chopped the Rosemary.

I rubbed on some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground sea salt with garlic, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the Rosemary.

I wrapped this up and let it rest for 6 hours.

An hour before I put the Ribeye on the kamado, I cleaned and halved some Brussels Sprouts. I put them in a bowl, drizzled them with Basil infused OO, then some fresh ground sea salt with garlic, some fresh ground black pepper and gave them a good toss.

I now put these in a vacuum sealed bagged and gave them a Sous Vide head start on their their way to my plate.

Later I put the Ribeye on the 225 degree kamado, indirect, with some Hickory chunks and set my thermometer for an IT of 113 degrees.

While this was happening I got the Brussels Sprouts going in my 14” C.I. skillet. First I fried up some bacon. I remove that and revered some crumbles for later. I pour off most on the bacon grease and then added some onion and 2 tbsp. of minced garlic and let them just start to sweat.

Now I added 1/2 cup of red wine

and then the Brussels Sprouts. Let this cook until they are tender and then add in some bacon crumbles.

Once my thermometer alarm went off, I remove the Ribeye and loosely tented with foil. I opened my vents all the way and waited for searing temperatures.

Once it reached 500 degrees on the dome thermometer I put the Ribeye on for 3 minutes per side.

I removed it and let it rest 10 minutes and then plated everything up. Here it is with the Brussels Sprouts, some rice pilaf that my wife made, a couple of coins of Blue Cheese Compound Butter and a Modern Times Blazing World IPA.

A perfect medium rare.

And here is the money shot below.

Unbelievably Delicious! 
    • By DerHusker
      We wanted to finish off the Holiday weekend with a bang so I had thawed out a Double R Ranch Porterhouse that I had in the freezer.

I seasoned it with garlic sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and some steak seasoning and wrapped it up to rest a few hours.

While it was resting I made up some roasted potatoes

and some Brussels Sprouts.

After the veggies were ready I checked the I.T. on the steak and I had overshot my target of 113 by 7 degrees.    I took it off and loosely tented with foil and let the kamado get up to searing temps. I had found this Weber Searing grate on clearance at Lowes and put it to good use here.

I love this shot.

Earlier in the month I had made up some blue cheese compound butter with some parsley and dried Thyme for just this sort of occasion. I got some of it out to put on the steak.

Here is everything Plated with a Twisted Manzanita Rustic Horizon Red Ale.

Here is the prerequisite “Fork” shot rubbed in some of the compound butter.

Not quite medium rare but still oh so delicious.

Thanks for looking.
    • By hrmbbq
      Buffalo Chicken Nacho-Style Potato Chips

Well today I was in the mood to try something new. So I decided to cook some Buffalo Chicken Nacho-Style Potato Chips. This is quite simple appetiser to make and its pretty quick to put together and pretty yummy!! This recipe also uses Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk which gives it a nice little punch of heat! When I started cooking I noticed that I was out of scallions onions so I had to do this recipe without them.

Ingredients:

- 1 chicken breast
      - 6-8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
      - ¼ cup sour cream
      - 3-4 teaspoons of buffalo wing sauce, adjust to your taste
      - ½ cup bleu cheese
      - ½ cup scallions, chopped
      - homemade potato chips or regular ones
      - Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk
      - 1/2 cup grated mozilla cheese optional

Directions:

1. Pre-heat your BBQ to 375 degrees Fahrenheit

2. Season your chicken breast with Jamaican Firewalk from Dizzy Pig Rubs and cook until no longer pink on the BBQ grill. Set aside and allow to cool, then shred.

3. Tinley slice potatoes ( I prefer red potatoes or russets) into tin chip slices then seasoned them with a little Jamaican Firewalk from Dizzy Pig Rubs (put rub to taste and remember Jamaican Firewalk packs a punch of heat) and cook them in a frying pan with a little bit of canola oil till they are golden. If you're in a hurry you can fry them in the deep fat fryer or use regular plain chips!

4. For Kamado Joe owners put the heat deflector with the stone in the top position and place pizza stone on top. For Big Green Egg users place the plate setter with legs down with pizza stone. For regular propane or other charcoal BBQ place pizza stone on top of Grill.

5. Now you want to bring BBQ temp to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit and let the heat settle.

6. In a small bowl mix together sour cream and wing sauce.

7. Lay potato chips on Pars man Paper with little to no overlap. Drizzle with wing sauce and then top with chicken, bacon, bleu cheese, scallions, and optional grated Mozilla cheese.

8. With Pizza peel place on the BBQ pizza stone with lid close for 6-8 minutes or until bleu cheese starts to bubble.

NOTES: If you don't like using store made rubs you can use the following rub recipe which I also find pretty good to use with this nacho recipe.

Basic Chicken Rub

Ingredients:

· 1 tablespoon onion powder
      · 1 tablespoon garlic powder
      · 1 tablespoon salt
      · 2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
      · 1 teaspoon sage
      · 1 teaspoon thyme
      · 1 teaspoon paprika
      · 1 teaspoon black pepper

Now mix all the ingredients and store in air tight container. It can keep for up to six month!

Happy Grilling!