Newbie Greetings from SW Missouri

DWJ

I just bought my first kamado grill...will be delivered next week.  I couldn't be more excited. I have used cheap electric smokers and expensive electric smokers, but once my last smoker died, I started researching....and it lead me to kamados. I studied them for a few months. Then I found out I had a friend who has one, and I tried some of his treats, and I am now hooked. He has really helped me in the process.  I am so glad to find this forum and the help provided by this community, even before I made my purchase decision. Looking forward to getting started next Thursday evening.  What would you recommend for my first smoke?

We're glad to have you join the ranks of kamado cooking, and we know you'll love it all, even the less than stellar cooks.  (we all have a list of those too!) Yes, definitely a spatchcocked chicken (do not need to do the beer can kind as there is plenty of moisture in the kamado itself) and go easy on the smoke.  If you want to enjoy the smoke without breaking the bank, a good pork butt would be my next suggestion. 

Thank you for the info.  It's probably gonna be spatchcocked chicken on Thursday night.  I can't wait to do my first butt....Maybe trying it this Saturday. I sure appreciate the encouragement.  Hoping the learning curve isn't too steep!