Sign in to follow this  
Mr Cue

Added to my arsenal

There are 2 proteins that I cook repeatedly with my Anova. They are wild caught Sockeye salmon and beef short ribs. The salmon I sous vide at 122F with some EVOO and lemon and when ready, noting further to do except to plate it with some wild rice and asparagus. Delicious. The other item is beef short ribs from Costco. These I sous vide at 131F (medium rare) for as much as 72 hours, again with some EVOO, salt and pepper and a touch of garlic. After coming out of the water bath, they are patted dry and seared in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with butter; maybe a minute or two on each side. Amazingly delicious. 

There are so many things you can cook sous vide that it'll make your head spin. It's not the end all of how to cook, but it's definitely a functional tool in your cooking arsenal.

On 11/27/2016 at 7:34 AM, aljoseph said:

There are 2 proteins that I cook repeatedly with my Anova. They are wild caught Sockeye salmon and beef short ribs. The salmon I sous vide at 122F with some EVOO and lemon and when ready, noting further to do except to plate it with some wild rice and asparagus. Delicious. The other item is beef short ribs from Costco. These I sous vide at 131F (medium rare) for as much as 72 hours, again with some EVOO, salt and pepper and a touch of garlic. After coming out of the water bath, they are patted dry and seared in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with butter; maybe a minute or two on each side. Amazingly delicious. 

There are so many things you can cook sous vide that it'll make your head spin. It's not the end all of how to cook, but it's definitely a functional tool in your cooking arsenal.

those ribs sound great!

Tried some rib eyes, needs a bit of tweaking in my technique. I need to remember to dry off the steak a bit more than I did. Perhaps a brush of olive oil before the sear. The Mrs misses the charcoal flavour from the KJ, maybe next time I'll try a flame sear using a charcoal chimney.

IMG_0019.JPG