First try at some bacon/pork belly

irish02bk

Taking my first shot at bacon. picked up two pork belly slabs from costco. i followed two recipes one from amazing ribs and one from a friend. amazing ribs is a wet brine where the other one is not.

a few questions it says 7 days to cure, that being said it would put me at next wednesday for the time to smoke, would it hurt it if i cured it to friday? as i won't beable to smoke it til saturday.

It said to feel the skin off, i'm assuming that the costco belly's were already trimmed i sat there and felt and looked and it just seemed like fat.

third since they are in zip lock bags and are suppose to be flipped daily can i stack the bags? i don't see any reason why not, unlike staking bags for the umai dry age bags which i know you cant.

For the amazingribs web brine, a few more days is fine.  I wouldn't go less time however.  I use that recipe regularly and everyone raves about it.    

If the skin was still on, it would have a tougher feel than the regular fat.  The regular fat will feel like lard or may feel almost fluffy depending on how well it was trimmed.

You can stack the slabs in bags fine.  As long as you remember to flip them daily and wash the web brine over the meat each time you flip it should turn out.

On 11/29/2016 at 8:49 PM, backyardgriller said:

For the amazingribs web brine, a few more days is fine.  I wouldn't go less time however.  I use that recipe regularly and everyone raves about it.    

If the skin was still on, it would have a tougher feel than the regular fat.  The regular fat will feel like lard or may feel almost fluffy depending on how well it was trimmed.

You can stack the slabs in bags fine.  As long as you remember to flip them daily and wash the web brine over the meat each time you flip it should turn out.

When you say wash the web brine, do you mean just rub the bags?

9 hours ago, irish02bk said:

When you say wash the web brine, do you mean just rub the bags?

Web should have been wet.   Yes.  Flip the bag every day, and as you flip it, slosh the brine over all surfaces of the meat before placing it back in the fridge.  It should always be flipped from side A to side B, then B to A every day to ensure proper curing.

So bacon seems to be doing ok. I split it into 4 zip lock bags, 3 of them seem fine, one the fat seems to be stringy? not sure if that just happens or if something got messed up on that bag? any input? today is going on the 8th day. I was thinking about maybe taking one out tonight and smoking it? or i'll just wait a few more days and do them all on saturday. thoughts?

One thing to note is the amazingribs recipe got taken down, apparently too much prague powder was used? althoguh people have been using it for a long time. I don't think its a huge deal unless you eat bacon everyday....

After you remove from the brine, rinse them off, pat dry and (if your time table permits) put them on a drying rack uncovered in fridge over a sheet pan for a day (or at least overnight - but a full day+ is better) to let the cure fully equalize inside the meat and also to let them dry a bit and establish a pellice for better smoking.

I was on the Amazing Rib site on Wednesday.   He has gone back to his original recipe as it is far below the threshold for nitrates.  Glad to see as I was getting my pork belly ready to brine.

Cut 15 lbs of bacon today. Fried up both recipes, i over cooked the first batch a bit, didn't take off til 170-175. That was the "dry" cure, it seemed to be more salty then the amazing ribs recipe. That batch i was able ot pull at 150. Seemed to have more of the maple cure and had more of a bacon texture. the other batch was a little more firm.

Overall for the first time it wen't well. However i think i need to get a meet slicer, cutting by hand got a little old and my wife like thinner bacon.