Help Me Decide

So I've narrowed my choices down to 3 sets.  I'd like to hear some thoughts.  I think I've read every topic under the subject of knives.  At first I was only going to order a 8" Chef and a 4" paring, based on most folks advice.  But for not much more I can gather a few more, that I'd probably buy in the long run.

1.  Coupled with a 20% off coupon this one can be had for less than $140.  I can't find many reviews, but I like the feel.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/zwilling-reg-j-a-henckels-five-star-8-piece-knife-block-set/1047049598?skuId=47049598&product_id=47049598&adpos=1o1&creative=159972113936&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=COnI9cO-1NACFdY6gQodqvYFzA

2. Coupled with another 20% off this one is about $100 more.  Lots of reviews and felt great.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling-ja-henckels-pro/knife-block-set-p135469

3.  Lastly the most expensive of the 3 @ about $150 more and less knives.  Great reviews and felt great also.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-classic-ikon/starter-knife-block-set-p120290

2/3 can be added to easily....

Look forward to comments.....

go with what feels best in your hand.  You can always add to the set as you go.  Appearance alone, I like the third the best with the acacia block.  They look great and if they felt best, then those are your knives.

Remember, good knives will last a lifetime if you keep them sharp and they feel good in the hand.

I agree with Bosco and John. How the knife feels in you hand is key. While the description in sets 1 & 2 don't mention it I would want shears that come apart as mentioned in set 3. Also like Bosco mentions if you are going to invest in high quality knives you need to invest in a quality sharpener.

Get the ones that feel best, and the best quality steel you're willing to pay for. I'm also in the camp of just getting the knives you'll use, without necessarily getting a set. I believe one or two really good knives are way more valuable than a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a set of the Wusthof (#3). The blades are fine, but I've had a problem with the handles cracking. I suppose it would be covered by the lifetime warranty, but I haven't bothered looking into it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know they weren't in your list, but check out Cutco. I am sure they are overpriced, but are absolute the best knives I have ever used. I found a couple of sets at auctions and garage sales. (Send in old ones, they send you new ones). Wife got me a couple new ones recently and they are outstanding.

Excellent decision!!:good:  I've been buying these knives, little by little, adding to my block for over 2 years now.  They are wicked sharp and hold an edge with only minimal maintenance. The bolster is my favorite of any knife I've used.  Now, when I pick up a knife from a different manufacturer, it just doesn't feel quite right in my hand.

On December 2, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Cgriller64 said:

I agree with Bosco and John. How the knife feels in you hand is key. While the description in sets 1 & 2 don't mention it I would want shears that come apart as mentioned in set 3. Also like Bosco mentions if you are going to invest in high quality knives you need to invest in a quality sharpener.

Cgriller, the cool thing about Shun knives from the Classics on up is that Shun will sharpen them for free once a year as long as you own them. Pretty neat deal actually.

1 minute ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Cgriller, the cool thing about Shun knives from the Classics on up is that Shun will sharpen them for free once a year as long as you own them. Pretty neat deal actually.

FYI, when I googled this and look at knife forums some users claim millimeters were missing from the blade when returned. 

I am a shun owner and love mine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Wanted to try out one of my new knives so decided what better way that to make some Pico de Gallo. Sorry I didn’t get any pics as I was filming a video instead. (Video link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpc7ojxlHUA&t=19s

Thanks for watching.

The recipe is in the video but not listed in writing. I shared it on this site before so if you don’t want to listen to the entire video you can hit this link instead.

• By DerHusker
      If I had stopped at the cheap Mercer knife, I had purchased from Amazon I’d have been fine. (See previous thread) Unfortunately, there was a sale over Labor Day at Cutlery and More, so my wife is now mad at me because I purchased 3 more new knives.

She suggested I have a problem  and to this I must agree.  I didn’t “need” any of these knives, but one was such a good price and the other two are, as Old Man Parker said on Christmas Story, “Indescribably Beautiful!”.  Below is a short video of the objects of my wife’s wrath.
      This first knife is a 9” Dragon Storm Chef’s knife by Apogee Cutlery. It’s made of BD1N steel with a HRC of 63. It was on Clearance with an additional 20% off for Labor Day.

This next knife is an Enso SG2 7” Bunka knife. It’s made of 101 layers of stainless with a SG2 steel core with an HRC of 63. It was on sale with special price and 20% off for Labor Day.

This last knife is an Miyabi Artisan 9.5” Kiritsuke knife. It’s made of 2 layers of hammered stainless with a SG2 steel core with an HRC of 63. It was offered at special introductory price for Labor Day.

Here’s the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3fkX9xlPvk

I’m going to have to cook some good food using these knives to get out of the Doghouse. 

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      The last time we rented an Airbnb I vowed to buy a knife roll and bring some of my knives with me so I could have the use of sharp knives instead on the dull knives they always seem to have. (It’s not that they need to be expensive, but if they were at least sharp I wouldn’t complain)

Well we just got back from spending a week in Reno at an Airbnb and you can guess how the knives were. So, I’ve made good on my vow and got myself a cheap knife roll. I also purchased this Mercer Millenia 8” chef knife to go in it.

As I said they don’t need to supply expensive knives and this new Mercer knife is proof of this. (It cost me whooping $18.00) So here is a video of the new knife and roll and the different knives I’ll be taking with me when we go on our next trip like this. (An assortment of mostly Mercer and Victorinox knives)

Video:

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      A certain knife dealer site had so good of prices on some nice knives in BD1N stainless that I couldn’t help myself. (It’s a sickness I tell ya!) Anyway, here’s some pics of my new tools.

9” hollow edge craving knife and fork set.

6” curved boning knife.

I had a Big Poppa gift certificate I’d won in a throwdown that was burning a hole in my pocket so, I placed a couple of items I didn’t already have in my cart.

Also added 2 rubs on sale that I thought I’d use a lot.

I already used the carving knife for Christmas Eve dinner with my family and hope to use the other items real soon.

Thanks for looking.

• By St1brew
      Going to ask Santa for a few new knives for this year. I am looking for recommendations on a boning/fillet knife and a brisket/meat slicer. Considering Shun and Wusthof but am not dead set on either brand. I'd like something that holds an edge for a long time and relatively easy to maintain. Thanks in advance.