coldfusion

Making Cheddar Cheese with the Anova

This has been a great reread.  Please keep posting.  

One thing that that I noticed was the mention of your wine fridge for SD.  Do you have a link to the product?

It's a cheap 6 bottle wine cooler. If used in a climate controlled environment it has no trouble holding 50-55 deg F.
For SD acetic acid is formed 40-55 deg F. This is better tasting than the lactic acid that forms at 55-90 deg F (room temp) that is more bland tasting.
Storing SD starter and retarding dough at 55 deg F helps to improve taste.
55 deg F is also the best temp for most cheeses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, coldfusion said:

It's a cheap 6 bottle wine cooler. If used in a climate controlled environment it has no trouble holding 50-55 deg F.
For SD acetic acid is formed 40-55 deg F. This is better tasting than the lactic acid that forms at 55-90 deg F (room temp) that is more bland tasting.
Storing SD starter and retarding dough at 55 deg F helps to improve taste.
55 deg F is also the best temp for most cheeses.

I am not sure what temp I want to need, but I know my winter starter makes better bread than my summer starter. The temp difference in my kitchen can be 20 degrees between the summer and winter.  I don't like bread from refrigerated starter, but a wine cooler might be a nice answer for summer months.  

Another batch of Cheddar Cheese being made.
ad77700db76291766c5e4780530c29db.jpg
Milk at 86 deg. after Mesophilic culture added.
c78dce8a4786fbb6baaf50ddaced2600.jpg
Looks like scrambled eggs, but it's cheese curds being cheddering. After this comes milling, adding salt in 3 steps, forming and pressing.
In 3 to 6 months I'll have sharp cheddar cheese!

Now this is thinking outside the box. Congratulations :bravo:. Out of curiousity, How much cheese do you get out of a gallon of milk? I know for maple syrup it's a 40  to 1 ratio. 40 gallons of tree sap makes 1 gallon of syrup. Just wondering for this cheese.

Now this is thinking outside the box. Congratulations :bravo:. Out of curiousity, How much cheese do you get out of a gallon of milk? I know for maple syrup it's a 40  to 1 ratio. 40 gallons of tree sap makes 1 gallon of syrup. Just wondering for this cheese.

Out of 2 gallons of whole milk I get about 2 1/2 pounds of cheddar cheese. Making other types of cheese might get more or less.
From the whey you can get maybe another 3/4 to pound of ricotta cheese.

Thanks for posting your experience, I'm looking to starting cheesmaking via sous vide equipment and I haven't found a lot of information yet. Any chance you'd be willing to share your recipe/technique for mozzarella for those of us who would like to start at the easy end of the scale?