Kick Ash Basket - Kamado Joe Hack

kabhack.jpg

I am really going to enjoy this little hack...  use a toothpick inserted in a fire starter so it will stand on edge in the ash removal tray of the classic... Light the fire starter and set the Kick Ash Basket in on top of it to light the fire from the bottom to get things going more quickly!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By American Moriyama
      Hello All, My name is Clayton and I found this forum in an attempt to get better control of my vision grill. I have cooked on several grill types, Kenmore gas, Weber kettles, Brinkman bullet and I purchased a Vision Classic B kamado from Sam's last summer. The Vision has has allowed me to significantly improve my cooks; the smoke flavor, the juiciness are off the scale and I my family loves it.  This along with the Thermoworks thermometers has been great. I enjoy cooking poultry, ribs, pork butt, brisket & steaks. The reason I am here is that I have not been able to do a good overnight smoke at low temperatures without maintenance. I will discuss this in another post since this area is for introductions.  I look forward to exchanging ideas.

• By Smoque'n
      Good Evening Guru’s,

I just received my Kick Ash Baskets for my Primo XL just a quick question do I need to a burn in or before my next cook give it a little extra time to heat up to get rid of any manufacturing by product? Suggestions appreciated.
    • By BennyB
      Hi guys, does anyone have dramas with their temp control while using a Kick Ash Basket in their Pit Boss Kamados? I recently got one and since then i've been struggling to keep the temp below 300f. The picture here is the bottom vent when the Pit Boss is at 300f, I can barely shut it any further. I don't have any leaks through the gasket or top air vent so I don't think much air could be getting in there (I leave the bottom plate in too), and I don't have any dramas closing it all off to starve the charcoal. I light with a single fire lighter in the centre and #### down the vents about 50-100f before the target temp. Any ideas on what I can do to get it under control? Cheers in advance.

• By John Setzler
      If you aren't familiar with the Kick Ash Basket grate hook and the NEW stone lifting tool, have a look!

• By Tarheel
      After much procrastination I purchased the Vision-specific Kick Ash Basket for my Vision Classic B.

I'm impressed by the craftsmanship, as well as the fit to the grill's firebox. There's only ~ 1/8" clearance between the KAB and the wall of the firebox, no wasted space.

Here's a closeup of the "gap":

I installed it without the cast iron fire grate on the bottom. I've only done one cook (last night!) so far but it seemed like the grill came up to temperature more quickly.