Beef Wellington on the Kamado Joe Classic

Here is the video to go along with the teaser photos I posted last week.  I have to say that I was completely stoked with the results from this project.  This was fantastic all the way around.  I learned a few new things on this cook that will benefit me in the future as well...

Some additional thoughts here...

I'd love to see someone do a Pork Wellington of sorts using a pork loin.  Instead of the mushroom based duxelles, I think a fruit compote and a simple ham wrap inside the puff pastry would make something spectacular.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this cook...

Aw man...in the spring I decided to do a Wellington. Went to wegmans. They had them prepped. As I was intimidated to begin with I just bought the prepared ones and re heated. Tasted delish, but I felt like a cheater. Good job bro. 

I would love to try that recipe, looks great.   Too bad my wife would never eat beef that rare.    If I make it I will tell her she can microwave her portion on pan fry her slice until it is done the way she likes.    Yorkshire pudding along with gravy would go well with that. 

17 minutes ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

I would love to try that recipe, looks great.   Too bad my wife would never eat beef that rare.    If I make it I will tell her she can microwave her portion on pan fry her slice until it is done the way she likes.    Yorkshire pudding along with gravy would go well with that. 

I have been there microwaving is quick and effective.

Great video. I'm definitely going to give this a go sometime, but unfortunately it won't happen during the holidays. 

Incidentally, I know it's been said by many of us before, but I'd like to say to John again how much I appreciate these videos. I watched this one tonight and it set me off on yet another evening of watching back-to-back-to-back KJ Cooking Channel videos, one right after the other. So much great info, so many mouth watering recipes....

Great video, great Wellington.

I use a cold stone on many occasions where I want to make sure the bottom doesn't burn (usually casseroles). It's a good technique but usually requires a few extra minutes in the kamado. I do this so often I've taken an old pizza stone and cut it down so it fits under my favorite casserole dishes without hanging over to far. 

I think with pork you would want to use either a tenderloin or if you used a chunk of loin cook it a bit during the Sear phase. With a chunk of loin my concern would be getting it done to a proper internal temp without burning the puff pastry. 

I've done a tofu Wellington so anything is possible although I'll never do a tofu Wellington again. Nothing to do with the Wellington part just not really fond of tofu - LOL 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I think with pork you would want to use either a tenderloin or if you used a chunk of loin cook it a bit during the Sear phase. With a chunk of loin my concern would be getting it done to a proper internal temp without burning the puff pastry. 

That's the challenge with the chateaubriand also.  The chateau and a pork loin are roughly the same diameter in most cases so I think it would work out.  I know the pork is a little more dense than the chateau but I still think it would work out closely.  Based on my results with this cook, I could have stayed on the grill at least another 30 minutes without burning out that puff pastry.

• 8 months later...

Saw @shuley anniversary cook and that she referenced this recipe.

I'm going to have to try this at some point.  

I'm lacking knowledge of what puff pastry is or where to acquire it.   I wonder if the refrigerated pie dough would work ?

A pork tenderloin version would be interesting, too.

Awesome video recipe, as normal, John.   You really nailed that one !!!

6 hours ago, Dub said:

I'm lacking knowledge of what puff pastry is or where to acquire it.   I wonder if the refrigerated pie dough would work ?

The Puff is definitely different than Pie pastry. If you don't make it yourself, you will usually find it frozen next to Pie Crusts in the store.  It's typically in a 2x2x16" box and will have two pieces.  If you can find a larger piece it works better for Beef Wellington, but if needed you can pinch two pieces together.  You want to keep it frozen until the last possible moment before you use it. It should be cold, as cold as possible but not frozen. 

This is my go to Christmas dinner and while picky to do properly, the results are always worth it.

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

On 8/17/2017 at 4:39 PM, Dub said:

A pork tenderloin version would be interesting, too.

Definitely need to use Puff Pastry not pie dough. Two very different things. I've wrapped Pork Tenderloin in it before. Even did a tofu Wellington for our chopped challenge last year (Yea won't be doing that again - I had to beg and plead with the GA BBQ Association to not take my BBQ card - LOL) 

Anyway almost all grocery stores carry it in the frozen food section. You keep it frozen until about 30 minutes before use. If it gets to warm the micro thin layers start sticking together. 

DubPP.thumb.jpg.985f203ef99dee57e91c60bceeb8a83c.jpg