Cleaning heat deflectors

Team PCBeach

Any tips on cleaning the deflectors.  I did a rib cook with no drip pan figuring I would just flip the deflectors on the next cook to burn off the drippings.   After the cook I was left with a think black crust on the deflector.  Haven't tried, but will this just scrape off with a plastic scraper?  If not any other tips?

A plastic scraper works, just about anything works as that black crust Comes off rather quickly in my experience. I sometime just use my hand, but a hand Inside a glove is a bit cleaner

I have had issues with grease build up on my KJ deflectors in the past.  I once ruined a Christmas turkey as I could taste the creosote, that apparently nobody else could taste.  I learned to foil wrap my deflectors so that I never had that issue.  I just simply traced a piece of foil with my pizza stone and laid that down to protect them.  Never had an issue again.   You will taste it if the grease penetrated the stone.

Don't get in the habit of high heat burning. In my opinion it adds undue stress to the kamado.  

I never take mine past 550 anymore, I just don't see the need.  

I use this on the accessory rack everytime I use both deflectors. If it's going to be really messy I'll foil but SS cleans up really easy. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/18-round-stainless-drip-pan-xl

Also, before putting in the kamado this thing is a beaut. Would be a great low cost serving tray... 

Yeah, my thoughts are pretty much reflected in many of the comments above. My advice is to always use a drip pan or foil. However your stones will still pick up soot and grease from time to time if you cook frequently. My go to method for dealing with this is to cook pizza  once a week . I do not set a deflector low but do set one just below the felt during my pizza cooks. I always pick the dirtiest stone and put the worst side down towards the fire. I cook pizza at 650 and find that along with delivering a tasty meal the cook keeps my fire box and stones pretty clean. Along with 'Bosco, I am not a fan of clean burns. Most of the clean burn posts I have read state the process cleaned the ceramics but then melted the gasket or caused a crack. Pizza temps are plenty hot enough in my book.