10 Pound Boston Butt

BostonButt.jpg

I bought a two pack of boston butts at Sam's Club the other day and assumed I would have two 8 pounders since the package weighed about 16 pounds... Well one of them was 10 and the other was about 6.. I cooked the big one today  (or am cooking it).  It's been on about 10 hours at 250-ish and the internal temp is up to about 187.  This one looks great so far!  Its gonna be on a good bit longer to finish and then I'll rest it for a while before pulling and packaging... 

BostonButt2.jpg

12 hours and 30 minutes for this 10 pounder to finish up...  Cooked at 250-ish to an internal temp of 199-200... probes like BUTTAH.  Will rest it uncovered until the temp drops below 180 in the center then I'll foil it and rest it in the cooler for an hour before pulling it...

This is the first time in a LONG time that I haven't foiled the butt after the bark set.  I almost always do that because i like to add a coating of brown sugar and drizzle some agave nectar on that... makes a killer bark...

You drizzle the agave/brown sugar and THEN wrap until done?

9 hours ago, John Setzler said:

This is the first time in a LONG time that I haven't foiled the butt after the bark set.  I almost always do that because i like to add a coating of brown sugar and drizzle some agave nectar on that... makes a killer bark...

at what point in the cook do you typically drizzle and sugar your pork?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      Prepped this little half butt for a work Halloween potluck last night, cooking it tonight.  Just a little teaser before I tucked in and put it to bed.

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      Thawed the frozen leftover pork, acquired necessary ingredients.

rehydrated the guajillo peppers, then:
      all Kamado, all the way!

Onion, pepper, garlic, oregano simmering into a  paste.

Drained the hominy, added the water from the pepper rehydration, a bay leaf and let that simmer for a while.
      Added the pork and guajillo paste and let that simmer.

Pozole !

• By Brickyoung
      Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!
    • By cwhuling
      I ended up with a mostly free Saturday and decided to cook a couple of Boston Butts.  I finished my other chores early and decided to make home made rolls and Cole slaw to go with the pork.  This was the first time I brined a Boston Butt and was pleased with the outcome.  

• By brandonh
      I'm pretty inexperienced with my kamado, especially low and slow. My temp had been higher than I wanted (305) so I adjusted the top vent to nearly closed (1/8” or so). The temp held steady  at around 245 for the next 4 hours and now going into hour 6 my temp has dropped to 225 in the last 45 min. Is my fire out? I'm about 15 min from home so I don't want to go unless necessary. TIA