Is this a new style top vent

postal24060

Mine from Sam's is very similar,  The one pictured on the left looks like mine.  The one on the right I believe to be the older lighter weight style.  Not sure why yours has two knobs of different geometry, seems redundant to me?

IMG_20140112_010134.jpg

-Roy

The red handle controls a pin that drops into a hole locking the vent in the full open position . I am having problems with air leaks as the 2 cast pieces don't seem to mate well. Also the hole that the pin drops into is drilled all the way thru the cast iron so has an air leak there as well.

This one fits very snug around the seal but leaks terrible through the vent. I have tightened the nut on the bottom as much as i can without binding the mechanism . This vent just seems odd to me. I haven't seen another one like it in any pictures or on any of the demo units at home depot . 

I recently received a new one for my vision also. It is cast like yours but not the exact same style.
I will second the comment that it will seal up nicely after a few cooks. I have a hard time opening mine when cold, it often sticks closed from the grease.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't worry about the leaks ,mine will be 4 years old in Feb it leaks smoke both top and bottom when closed down, They are not meant to be air tight. I have made everything that I can think of in it. No problems controlling temp. It takes awhile to fully understand it .If your able to shut it completely down ,and the next day have unburned left over ,it is working fine.    

First thanks for sharing  all your knowledge  and experiences.  I won't stress about the leaks.

I can shut down and have plenty of un-burned lump left after a cook. I can also go low and slow without to much issue.  I just did a 15 hour smoke for two 9 pound butts last weekend at it held the temps pretty steady around 230-250.

I was mainly curious about the extra red handle and why it is included (any reason to lock the vent open). And why does no one else have this type of vent?

First thanks for sharing  all your knowledge  and experiences.  I won't stress about the leaks.
I can shut down and have plenty of un-burned lump left after a cook. I can also go low and slow without to much issue.  I just did a 15 hour smoke for two 9 pound butts last weekend at it held the temps pretty steady around 230-250.
I was mainly curious about the extra red handle and why it is included (any reason to lock the vent open). And why does no one else have this type of vent?

That is what came on mine originally. I soon, called and ordered the cast iron. I believe it is tighter.
I did a 22 hour cook at 225 on a beef shoulder clod. I still had enough left over to smoke some wings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, coondog said:

That is what came on mine originally. I soon, called and ordered the cast iron. I believe it is tighter.
I did a 22 hour cook at 225 on a beef shoulder clod. I still had enough left over to smoke some wings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is cast iron, just different from most cast iron I have seen.