New Kamado Joe Cart

Rak73

All the ideas are great, a KJ cart sounds like a winner but I would also like to see KJ make a patio cart for those that like their Joes in the nest. I'm thinking something like this campchef cart that serves as more space on top or the option to make it a carving station and inside a designated place for deflectors,griddles and so on

I like jrow's idea. I would make it with one end having a circle cut out so it can be set flush to the side of the kamado.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kamado Joe said:

Thanks all for the fantastic recommendations. My only direction to Rak was that it needs to be "Remarkably" innovative in its functionality. Question - I have a small stainless bowl that I keep outside in my kitchen. I dump my ash in the bowl and then whenever it gets semi full I go dump it out. I use my grill so much on weekends that sometimes there are hot coals still when I go to clean it. Is this something that you all have outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a galvanized scoop and round galvanized metal pail.....

Thanks everyone!  Please keep the ideas coming....

The reason I wanted to reach out this group is because you are all very passionate about your grills and cooking.  Other than the obvious stuff like covered shelving, what else?

Some of the outside the box ideas are:

-Lighting

-Lump storage bin

-place to store ash clean out

When you are out cooking, what do you wish you had to make your life a little easier?  Remember, we want to make this cart 'remarkable'!  Not just good or great, but remarkable which will include things that 'users' want!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kamado Joe said:

Thanks all for the fantastic recommendations. My only direction to Rak was that it needs to be "Remarkably" innovative in its functionality. Question - I have a small stainless bowl that I keep outside in my kitchen. I dump my ash in the bowl and then whenever it gets semi full I go dump it out. I use my grill so much on weekends that sometimes there are hot coals still when I go to clean it. Is this something that you all have outside?

Somehow I don't have that much time to cook, for you it is also R&D. 

Their have only been a few times I have used one of my Joe's twice in less than 24 hrs. I dumped the ash in a pail of water to be safe.  

Lets St see you post some of those stellar cooks! 

22 hours ago, Admckillip said:

I agree, the more I use my Big Joe the more I get tired of hiking to the garage for lump or into the house for accessory A or B, waterproof storage is a must.

I finally found a place that is just a few steps from the Kamado - leveled a place - covered it with concrete pavers and put a large deck box on them. It has made a huge difference. I can store three bags of lump and the rest of the stuff right there. Having some in the Kamado would be even better.

Oh and while you are at it--please try to not make it equal in price or more compared to the Kamado.

Here's a few more ideas with a couple crazy ones
Hanging spice caddy

Built in Bluetooth speakers

A single burner either propane or electric for sauce making or boiling pasta

Built in bottle opener with cap catcher

Maybe the table top part can fold open to attach additional legs and double your work space:)

27 minutes ago, Kamado Joe said:

499 is target price

Ok... For that price range, take my "mise en place" cart and make the following adjustments...

1) add a GFI power strip mounted under the fire extinguisher, above the tool rack.  Have it so you simply plug an extension cord into the back.  This would power your JoeTisserie, any lights you after to clamp or attach to the cart, music, cell phone charger, electric hot plate for boiling water, blender for mixing marinades(or cocktails), etc... Relatively cheap addition to cart that could would be a big game changer.

2) in my lower left under counter part, get rid of the shelves, make one vertical place for a removable charcoal bin, and one place for a removable (rectangular) ash bucket.  Make these two items available optional purchases.  Include an ash rake and 'dust pan' that fits the bottom vent.  Make these two tools short enough to be stored inside this ash bucket/box.

3) for this price range, bottom slot/storage area would need to be open.  Leave the half-moon grate slots flat, maybe slight lip on front/back edge. Make the full grate slots, JT-ring slot, and D&C slot have a raised bar or edge on front and back, couple inches tall, just enough room to toll them over, clear the top, but also serve as a barrier to keep them in the moving cart.

4) whatever the top surface of cart is, make it all one material.... But then have a large KJ logo raised cast-iron trivet.  Or really thick raised silicone that would serve as a trivet?  Gotta have something for hot landing spot.

5) wheels... roller blade style hard rubber casters.  4" fixed axel under grill, 2" spinning wheels under the two corners on handle end.  This should be the least expensive, but still awesome wheel configuration.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Baby Back Maniac said:

Electricity would be nice. A multi port outlet for a temp controller, electric knife, radio, etc. Oh, and while we are at it, how about a stereo system if we are going for "remarkable"?

Hah... You're killin me smalls... You snuck in with the 'spot for all accessories' post while I was posting my first novella... Now you beat me to the 'electrical outlet' post on this one.  Great minds think alike... 

3 hours ago, Rak73 said:

Thanks everyone!  Please keep the ideas coming....

The reason I wanted to reach out this group is because you are all very passionate about your grills and cooking.  Other than the obvious stuff like covered shelving, what else?

Some of the outside the box ideas are:

-Lighting

-Lump storage bin

-place to store ash clean out

When you are out cooking, what do you wish you had to make your life a little easier?  Remember, we want to make this cart 'remarkable'!  Not just good or great, but remarkable which will include things that 'users' want!

Thanks!

Initially it sounded like you were just talking about a small table. If so size will determine what you can accommodate. I doubt that you could design it so that all supplies and accessories would have a place directly in the table. having it all in one table with out having to run or do with out would be awesome.

If you are talking specifically for the kamado table then having the things you need each time you use it close by will help a lot. I only rake out the Big Joe about every 5th cook or now shake out the basket each time.

For me having all the stuff right at  the Kamado is key.

1-Something fireproof to rake the ashes into or shake the basket.

2-A place to have starter wafers and a small torch to light them or a place for a dedicated lighting  torch.

3- a pair of gloves both to keep my hands clean and for heat protection

4- some where to put the cooking grate, and the circular frame that holds it and the extension grate --each time I cook --for when I add charcoal

6- a place  out of the weather for the accessories but right there-- the split diffuser-- the cast iron griddle--the cast iron grate--the laser cut stainless insert--the soap stone-- the grill expander--and the Joetisseri

7- having light built in that lights evenly--this could just be a frame that extends and a LED battery light that clamps quickly and easily.

8- some where to put the food, baste if using,  and tongs and or spatula when loading, tending, and removing.

9- the surfaces need to be heat resistant for accommodating hot grates when changing a cooking set up

What I now have works pretty well. I use it about three times a week-- snow, rain, or sun. Very often I cook after dark and the light coverage is  is a huge advantage. I do not feel any need to add but would NOT remove any element.

It is not what you are asking about but with my limited space close to my ideal.

A-a grill gazebo with two open enclosed side shelves,

B-a switched over head LED light--this is huge having light over the entire area with out shadow

C-a steel table to hold the contents of the Big Joe when putting in charcoal or removing hot grates or diffusers

D- A  water proof deck box right beside the Big Joe for the accessories, the ash container, the lump

If i were designing the gazebo for scratch for my ideal-- the free standing steel table would be attached to the gazebo and be folding, the  two shelves would have a front doors to enclose them, the additional area below the enclosed shelves would  also be enclosed to hold what the deck box now does, then ideally the front and back of the roof would either permanently over hang front and back an extra 4 feet or be a temporary extension that could be raised if the rain is wind driven. I now have the Walker Grill Gazebo--at 5 by 8 it can easily fit in a very small space. The thing is it already retails for $1300. With the added elements it probably would not sell very well--but it would be a custom dream set up for any Kamado.

The single biggest thing beyond getting the Big Joe was to get a grill gazebo and a deck box. The gazebo is small enough to fit easily most any where. The best thing about it is overhead lighting on a switch that i installed. Next are the partially enclosed side shelves. If they were full enclosed and self draining they would be even better.

Hampton Bay 8 ft. x 5 ft. Walker Grill Gazebo

5 hours ago, Kamado Joe said:

I use a small metal trash can, but I wouldn't want it to be seen. That's a thing I use, but it isn't exactly pretty... Any chance this cart will accommodate the Big Joe? At $500 I'm all in.

3 hours ago, Admckillip said:

I use a small metal trash can, but I wouldn't want it to be seen. That's a thing I use, but it isn't exactly pretty... Any chance this cart will accommodate the Big Joe? At $500 I'm all in.

The plan is to have one for the classic and one for the Big Joe...and maybe even one for the junior!?  who knows.

1 hour ago, Rak73 said:

The plan is to have one for the classic and one for the Big Joe...and maybe even one for the junior!?  who knows.

I have said for a long time that you need a stand for the JR. I have my JR sitting in a classic stand, it works, but I would love something with storage!