Frozen dome

J-Do

I planned to cook tomorrow for guests coming over, but my dome lid feels frozen shut. I don't want to damage my gaskets, so here's my thinking on getting my Classic Joe started.

I have a KickAsh Basket in place already, and there is leftover lump in the basket. I thought I could open the lower vent door (my Joe does not have the slide out ash drawer), place a starter in there and light the coals from below.

I would then wait until the dome temp started to come up to open the top vent from there. Once it warmed up, I figured it would be safe to open the dome lid.

Any thoughts? Tomorrow's high temperature will be zero Fahrenheit.

10 minutes ago, J-Do said:

place a starter in there and light the coals from below.

I believe some do just that.  Heat/warm the inside from the bottom vent to help thaw the gasket.  Not sure if a hair dryer or heat gun on the outside would help too.  Hopefully the others can comment.

For what it's worth... It's fine now.  could not have dropped in a starter cube, because the grate and heat deflectors were in place. It would have just bounced off and put itself out on the deflectors. I was able to get my top vent open, but the now kept coming and coming today. Here it was during the brief break this afternoon.

Q0IbUt7.jpg

I put s starter cube, two together, actually, wedged between two narrow pieces of lump so that it wouldn't lie flat. I cracked the top vent a bit to get some airflow going, and after a while (didn't really check the time, just ran an errand and came back to wisps of smoke coming from the top vent. A nice little fire had started melting the snow off the dome, so I just opened up the top vent a bit wider and let the heat soak begin!

A while later, the snow was gone from the dome, the thermometer was reading a cozy 300, and it opened with no issues. 

Maybe this won't work but buy a cheap heating pad and leave it in the KJ with the cord hanging out and already set to the "high" setting.

When the dome freezes shut just plug in the heating pad. Or maybe leave it on during the night.

I live in Atlanta - we don't really have this problem except maybe once a year. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a heat gun, so I use that when I don't get a chance to prop my lid up before it freezes shut.  If it's cold enough to freeze my lid, it usually freezes my top vent shut as well, so I warm it up until I can open it, then hang the heat gun inside.   

As a rule, I try to keep the lid propped open slightly, but sometimes it freezes shut as the lump is going out.

3 hours ago, rdeejr said:

That poor Kamado should be covered. I put a call into KPS (Kamado Protective Services) to have it removed from your premises and brought to me to properly care for it. emoji854.png

For what it's worth, I've had gaskets freeze shut while waiting for the kamado to cool enough to be able to prop open and/or cover.

3 hours ago, Team PCBeach said:

All these threads about frozen domes have a very simple solution.  Move to Florida!  A nice comfortable 76F yesterday while I did a gasket replacement.

Now if that isn't an option, I wonder if putting foil around the gasket after a cook would prevent the dome form being frozen shut?

Foil if kept perfectly flat CAN work, in my experience if you can remember to put a wooden block in front of the shell to hold it open 1/2" or more it doesn't freeze shut. That said as in my previous post I have also had nasty weather blow in and freeze it shut while cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you saw my post about the same problem. After trial and error I managed to get my electric starter coil thingy into the bottom vent and hoped for the best. It provided enough heat for the lid to open after about an hour.

On 12/18/2016 at 5:55 AM, rdeejr said:

That poor Kamado should be covered. I put a call into KPS (Kamado Protective Services) to have it removed from your premises and brought to me to properly care for it. emoji854.png

So you were the other caller.....