Maverick ET-733 in Cold Weather

INDYsmoke

I just got an early xmas gift, a Maverick et-733 dual probe thermometer. I'm psyched and can't wait to use it. Up until now I've used a cheapo $5 digital instant read probe that I got at Wal-mart. We are having a pot luck at the office this week and I'm going to smoke a Boston butt for the event. Currently the temperature in central Indiana is hovering around 20 degrees. I have a question concerning the maverick transmitter and very low outdoor temps: Will the cold weather have a negative effect on it or cause any damage? I'm probably being overly cautious but I'm not wanting to ruin a brand new toy. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input you have on this. 

I have used mine several times for overnights in the cold.   This week was -26C (roughly -15F) for a few hours no problem.

The LCD screen won't work on the base when it's that cold, but it does transmit the signal just fine.   I wrap mine in s small towel and put it in a tupperware to protect it from any snow blowing in.

I smoked 4 butts on Sunday on my Big Joe.  It was 3 degrees mid morning when they went on, and "warmed up" to about 12.  It was pretty windy.  Snow and ice on the ground, but nothing really blowing.

Used my new ThermoWorks Smoke remote thermometer and it worked flawlessly.  Screen on the outside unit was full-on perfectly clear, the light-up function worked fine when it got dark.  No issues on any level.

different story on my BBQ-Guru Party-Q.  The screen was showing OK, let me set temp, etc... But the fan wouldn't come on.  Brought it in, changed batteries, fan came right on.  Noticed pit temp was dropping on my Smoke remote sensor lanyard jobber... Checked Guru again and fan had stopped again.  Brought in and warmed it up with a hair dryer, seems good again... Back out to grill in the cold and it would kick on, so I just gave up and went open vent for last few hours of cook.  

I've probably only used the Guru thing four or foe times now, and never do overnight cooks.  So, I guess if I can't use it in extreme cold, the only other tme I will use it now is in decent weather when I'm too busy to enjoy the grilling time.

Really, really happy with the Smoke system though.  Much better range than my Mavericks (732 or 733).  I did see somewhere (Firecraft maybe?) that Maverick came out with a Wi-Fi model.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By wangjt
      I know these were on sale last month for the same price but sold out quickly..  They just restocked their inventories.

$40 - (use BBQ30) Rebadged Maverick ET-733
      http://www.skymall.com/Extended-Range-Wireless-Cooking-Thermometer-Dual-Probe-Remote-BBQ-Smoker-Grill-Oven-Meat-Thermometer-Monitor-Food-Up-To-325-Away.html

$35 - (use BBQ25) Rebadged Maverick ET-732.
      http://www.skymall.com/Ivation-Long-Range-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/IVAWLTHERMGRP.html

Credit:  http://slickdeals.net/f/8619474-ivation-extended-range-wireless-bbq-thermometer-35-more-free-s-h

• By wallawu
      When I got my Akorn and joined this site in May I thought yall were crazy for having dual probe thermometers.  My, how we evolve so quickly.  I just bought a Maverick et-732 and am planning on smoking a pork butt tomorrow, care-free. Plan on letting the IT get just over 200, then wrapping in foil and a towel for an hour (if there's a better method, please share.)

My question is, before I do this, should I test the Maverick?  Is there a calibration that needs to be done?

When I do it, should I stick the meat probe through the top, through the length side, or through the width of it?  How far from the bone should I be?

Just want to make sure I get this done right.  Couldn't find quite the answers I was looking for using the search function.

Thanks in advance!
    • By Paul
      I just received my igrills mini a month ago followed a week later with the igrill2, I was real happy with it till last week when I discovered a problem, I was cooking a meatloaf and the igrills was reading 375 grill temp. The Jo's therm was only reading 250ish and in past experiences the dome and the maverick were pretty close to each other. After an hour I checked the meatloaf and it wasn't close to being done which is normally is on past cooks. The Jo temp hasn't changed so I hooked up my maverick and sure enough it was showing about 250° as well. Thinking I might have a bad probe I ordered another probe from igrill.
      Today it arrived and I figured I would hook them all up and see differences
      this is how the probes were set up

Some reading. Sorry about glare

Meter readings
      This was what it read 1 hour after I lit the fire.
      I put the chicken on and watching the temps and now the two igrill probes are within 2 degrees of each other but the maverick is 10° lower. The Jo's temp is reading 40° lower now, its been maybe 15 minutes since I put food on
      I now have four temperatures and not sure which one to believe
    • By smoker08
      Just got off the phone with Firecraft about the upcoming ET-735. He didn't have a lot of answers but I'll give what I got from them.

1. Release date has been pushed back to end of Feb
      2. ET-735 probes will be water resistent. Can clean under running water
      3. Didn't think new probes would work with older units, but will they will check when they get some in
      4. Said the new probes would probably be 6 footers
      5. Unit is a local / tx device. You must furnish the remote recieving device
      6. Unit is Bluetooth capable via iPhone® or Android® device
      7. Unit comes with 2 probes.
      8. Unit will be capable of 4 probes at once.
      9. Pretty sure the probes are hybride pointed meat/grid thermos will know more when they arrive
      10. Will work with your blue tooth even if you loose cell coverage as it's blue tooth NOT internet. You won't be able to check it while at work as it's not an internet device. That is as far as they know at this time.
      11. Repacement / additional probes from firecraft willl be $20 as of now.
      12. Cost of unit from firecraft $79.99
      13. From the picture displayed, it looks like it will only show 1 probe temp at a time. There is a setting button for the Blue tooth device but no picture showing what that option gives you. Maybe it has an option to show all the probe temps at one time. Will know when they arrive.
      14. Appears there is a timer setting on the blue tooth device. Hopefully there will be more than 1 timer available.

Link for Firecraft and write up so far on the ET-735
      http://www.firecraft.com/product/maverick-et-735-bluetooth-thermometer-black/bbq-thermometers

• By The Gardener
      I have a maverick et-732 and my bbq probe is out.  So, I stuck my food probe through a spud and used it as the bbq probe.  It gauged a temperature but I just don't know how accurate it is. Has anyone else tried this? What were the results? What was your method?