Planning a Christmas Rib Roast

7 hours ago, J-Do said:

No love for the Joetisserie in this thread? I couldn't get Prime, but I do have a well marbled small bone in roast that I am debating spinning versus reverse sear. I do so enjoy my Joetisserie. The one I have is only one bone, so I figured cooking/spinning at around 275-300 until it reads internally at 122 then a rest.

I've spun rib roasts. It works well, but you do have to keep a sharp eye on the internal temp. You'll also get the grey, over cooked outer band, but the crust is killer.

IMG_1741.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did two 9 lb prime ribs this past Saturday for my company Christmas party.  I cut the bones off and seasoned them just like the prime ribs with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks rub.  I put the ribs in w

Hello everyone. I've been away from cooking since the last week of October but I'm still alive and plan to finally get back to doing some cooking this weekend. I too am planning a Ribeye Roast for Chr

Beautifully done!   Here's mine. Did the reverse sear on the flat side of grill grates on the lower grate if my KK. Worked extremely well and helped block flare ups. Bad lighting on the slic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, rickcharles606 said:

Wish I could've talked the family into this for today's dinner...they've asked for my turkey AGAIN....I'm sick of turkey lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Years ago my family came to a decision to try different meats on Christmas, Thanksgiving would still be turkey and all that but Christmas we would do something different. So try to compromise with them and say we will do Thanksgiving as normal but Christmas we are trying a different protein and if you get some pull back make a small turkey breast along with your new protein. Sometimes we have to kick them out of their box!

Years ago my family came to a decision to try different meats on Christmas, Thanksgiving would still be turkey and all that but Christmas we would do something different. So try to compromise with them and say we will do Thanksgiving as normal but Christmas we are trying a different protein and if you get some pull back make a small turkey breast along with your new protein. Sometimes we have to kick them out of their box!

Tried this and it will work with my crew, but with my in laws it won't fly. My wife's GrandMother is 88yrs old and she loved my turkey, sooooo I'll oblige and make it happen because I love her. Sadly I don't expect her to make it for too many more holidays, and as long as she's with us, it's her call ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our rib roast turned out great. 

Next time, I won't salt and dry it for so long, the outside was a bit more 'hammy' than I would have liked, but the family loved it.

I ended up studding it with 5 coarse chopped garlic cloves and the garlic flavor was great. It added much more than I expected.

The sear went a bit too long so the outside was dark, but that worked out fine. 

I didn't get many pictures, too busy and too hungry to bother. The Yorkshire puddings were also amazing. They puffed up huge and got great crisp on the outside with soft interior.

IMG_0443.JPGIMG_0444.JPGIMG_0445.JPG

15 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

Our rib roast turned out great. 

Next time, I won't salt and dry it for so long, the outside was a bit more 'hammy' than I would have liked, but the family loved it.

Looks good.

I followed your lead but only salt dry aged it for 24 hours. Was not happy with that. (glad I didn't do 3 or 4 days) Next time I'll do a few hours at the most. Or maybe I'll salt it then wrap in saran wrap for a couple of days. The open air dried the very outside too much. 

1 minute ago, ckreef said:

Looks good.

I followed your lead but only salt dry aged it for 24 hours. Was not happy with that. (glad I didn't do 3 or 4 days) Next time I'll do a few hours at the most. Or maybe I'll salt it then wrap in saran wrap for a couple of days. 

I salted mine and wrapped in plastic wrap for 24 hours. Worked great. Very happy with the result.