Current Mods:

Tip Top Temp

This mod is fairly straight forward. I used the plate hangers that are found at either Homedepot or Lowes to mount the Tip Top Temp (TTT) on the top of the vent.

Double Colander for Coal Dust

I double up on colanders of two different sizes so that I can put my coal inside the colander and then the colander allows the coals to breathe but also catches all the dust. My first cook I used a single colander and then I shook it by accident when removing the remains and coal dust went everywhere. Lesson learned and I doubled up on the second attempt!

Makes my life easier and I don't have to hassle with cleaning the darn thing. Not original idea as I got it from this guy on YouTube. He also cut his Pizza tray but I think that is a little too much.

Terra Cotta Clay Pot

Diamond 4.5" Blade and a Mini Angle Grinder were used to cut the Terra Cotta Clay Pot ($19.98 @ Lowes) to fit it up in side the bottom pit. This particular one from Lowes fits perfectly BUT you have to cut your shims that hold the stone deflector!

How I cut the three-piece steel shims for stone deflector:

1. Cut the two edges and then bend the living hell out of the shim until the four welds give out.
  2. Use a Dremel to clean the rough edges
  3. Welds do not interfere with the above Terra Cotta Clay Pot from Lowes

How I shaved off the top of the Terra Cotta Pot:

Initial cuts were done around the diagonal pattern design but I need to redo it to make it a bit lower so that my pizza tray deflector doesn't choke the fire. However, my initial suspicions of the fire being choked have subsided because the grill is holding steady at 220*F. Might have taken a bit longer to get there though.

The top grate does not sit flush and is being held up by my pizza tray and all the weight of the terra cotta clay pot is resting on the three sheet metal legs that supports the entire core at the bottom. Need to fix it after I am done with my initial cook on the pork baby back ribs.

Lava Rock Gasket

Plenty of information on this forum as to how this is done. I did the upper and bottom rims of the main lid, ash tray bottom pan to body area, as well as the air intake at the bottom to a very good seal. Judging by the smoke that comes out it is doing a fine job.

Future Mods:

• Top hat to cover the TTT
  • Deflector Drip Pan Mod (Make the Pizza pan a little more versatile and can hold some liquids)
    • Might add a deeper dish in there to catch more items
    • Could run a stainless steel line to the bottom as a permanent grease trapping solution into a grease keg

More to follow and happy grillin'!

IMG_20161213_154711.jpg

IMG_20161213_213935.jpg

IMG_20161213_213941.jpg

IMG_20161213_214016.jpg

IMG_20161213_214056.jpg

IMG_20161213_214139.jpg

IMG_20161213_215553.jpg

IMG_20161213_215556.jpg

IMG_20161214_110721.jpg

IMG_20161221_164931.jpg

IMG_20161221_164935.jpg

IMG_20161221_164938.jpg

IMG_20161221_164951.jpg

IMG_20161221_165124.jpg

IMG_20161221_165204.jpg

IMG_20161221_165213.jpg

IMG_20161221_165228.jpg

IMG_20161221_165232.jpg

ALL your intake air comes through the hole in the clay pot?!?   Looks ok for smoking but grilling will be throttled by the pot.

It's too clean.  You gotta mess it up.  

My TTT is caked pretty thick now.  Cleaning it manually is nuts, the grime gets everywhere - I see why somebody mentioned they are using carb-cleaner instead.  I'm thinking of an ultrasonic washer and kitchen degreaser,

Haha, getting there buddy! Only two cooks so far.

Regarding the air intake situation, I only use this thing to slow cook stuff or smoke. I don't do pizzas or grill steaks or whatever. The oven and the stove does the rest. It'll take a while to get running up to temp but once it does, holy smokes, it is hot as hell!

• 1 month later...

Interesting choice of mods; after three years and probably a few hundred cooks, my Akorn succumbed to being left uncovered and in the weather for six months. Had we not moved and I still had my covered porch, I'd probably still have the Akorn. I feel the only thing that really needs to be improved upon is the cheap rivnuts Char-Griller uses to attach the lid and body. Everything else worked as it should for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you remove the inner steel chamber from the Akorn you could fit a bigger pot. 

Is there any noticeable difference when using the clay pot when cooking?

I use a single colander and it works well. I just take it out and shake in the garden to remove ash.

The colander I use is stainless steel with small holes punched all over. The ash does not fall out unless I shake it.

Your screen colander is more porous and so you need two to keep the ash in.

• 2 weeks later...