Garvinque

What would you KK Gals and Dudes add to this review?

Good review. I watched that one before buying my KK, and it really gives you a good feel for the various features. Some other things I'd add:

• Airflow - the KK is designed such that all of the air flows through the coals. There are no gaps between the firebox and outer shell, or any other ways for air to bypass the fuel like in other Kamados.
  • Accessories - there are a number of optional accessories that are top notch, some of which are unique to the KK. Some examples:
  1. The rotisserie drive is built into the frame (rotisserie baskets and rods are options) so that the lid is fully down and sealed while in use. The Joetisserie is awesome (I have one), but my KK rotisserie beats it -- better results.
  2. The baking stone is super thick and designed for optimal heat transfer from the bottom that matches the heat transfer from the refractory cement in the dome. I get uniform browning on top and bottom for breads and pizzas. It's a baking machine. 
  3. The cold smoker cranks thin blue smoke and gives me complete control of smoke intensity throughout the cook. I still prefer the smoke pot for low and slows due to its simplicity, but the cold smoker works for all temps where the smoke pot doesn't. 
  • Cooking - before I bought my KK I read a lot of claims by KK owners that it produces better food. Wasn't sure I believed that one, but it's true. Some theories as to why that's true include the greater distance from the coals to the main grate resulting in more of an indirect effect even when cooking direct. To get REALLY direct you can get right on top of the coals like shown in the video. That's where I sear steaks. For most low 'n slow cooks you only need to use a layer of aluminum foil on the lower grate (nobody uses the ceramic deflector shown in the video because it isn't needed).
  • Support - Dennis is easily reached by phone, regularly interacts with his customers in the KK forum and, most importantly, is incredibly responsive to requests for new features, accessories, and improvements. You pretty much only need to post, "gee I wish..." on the KK forum and Dennis will be working something up in response (as long as it makes sense and others chime in).

Probably some other things worth adding, but that's what comes to mind. As the video said, nothing wrong with others like Kamado Joe and BGE. They're awesome at their price point. I bought a KK to become THE grill to last me forever. Don't regret it one bit. 

That review is spot on. I also agree with everything @HalfSmoke said. The initial purchase does sting the wallet a bit but the moment it arrives that sting goes away.

The easy opening lid and hinge assembly is top of the line. It's fully adjustable and can be set for auto opening. I have mine adjusted so it's one finger to open it and close it. (literally one finger) If a guest opens it then accidentally lets go of the handle the lid stays right where he let go of it. No slamming down of the lid. This is such a kewl feature I literally played with opening and closing the dome for five minutes before I even took my first KK out of the crate. 

I do believe 15 hours is a low number on how long it can go on a full load of lump. 

You really have to see one in person to truly appreciate them. A lot of us bought ours sight unseen and nobody is disappointed when it arrives. 

There is no ceramic in a KK. The inner layer is a refractory cement. The middle, the actual insulation, is aerogel I believe. The third, is the grout and tile layer.

The rear door is for using an optional gas lighter/burner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@halfsmoke pretty much added what i was thinking: the rotisserie and Dennis

I've said it before on here - I was always annoyed when I would see someone ask a question about KKs and the answer on here would be "call Dennis". What kind of answer is that, I'd think. Turns out, it's exactly the right answer. KK owners can answer a lot of things, but if they don't have the answer, Dennis will.

Just yesterday, I had a question. I went on the KK site and it showed Dennis was online, so I sent him an instant message. He replied immediately, then called me and helped. Unparalleled support.

What everyone says about Dennis is absolutely true. He is about a 12 hour difference in time. He works the night shift so he is up when us in the States are up. And when you call him make sure you have some free time 15-45 minutes. For the first half of the conversation he'll talk to you about anything you want that has nothing to do with KK's. You want to talk motorcycles he'll talk your ear off.  Something important happened in your life he'll talk about that or maybe he'll tell you about something important in his life. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is he'll treat you like a friend not a customer. 

I've called him before just to say hi. 

Interesting that nobody has mentioned aesthetics, although that's the thing that first grabs you about the KK. It's a work of art, and the pictures don't do it justice. Pick the color that works for your environment. That we could get this deep into a thread without highlighting the aesthetics tells you it's much more than a pretty face.

BTW, that thin blue smoke in the second pic was produced by the cold smoker.

IMG_1776.jpgIMG_1778.JPG

17 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Interesting that nobody has mentioned aesthetics, although that's the thing that first grabs you about the KK. It's a work of art, and the pictures don't do it justice. Pick the color that works for your environment. That we could get this deep into a thread without highlighting the aesthetics tells you it's much more than a pretty face.

BTW, that thin blue smoke in the second pic was produced by the cold smoker.

IMG_1776.jpgIMG_1778.JPG

They a work of art, can you show a picture of the cold smoker!?

8 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

They a work of art, can you show a picture of the cold smoker!?

Here ya go. It connects to the guru port and uses a variable speed air pump (commonly used for fish tanks) to both stoke the smoking material inside and to create a vacuum that forces the smoke into the KK. I can dial the pump way down to low intensity for long cooks or way up for high intensity for shorter cooks. I fill the tube with chips (you can use small chunks or pellets too, although I found the binder in the pellets gunks things up with a thick tar), and can obviously reload throughout the cook if I want to. A full tube produces about two hours of smoke. I'll be using this with whiskey barrel chips for my Christmas Prime Rib.

IMG_1786.jpg

17 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Here ya go. It connects to the guru port and uses a variable speed air pump (commonly used for fish tanks) to both stoke the smoking material inside and to create a vacuum that forces the smoke into the KK. I can dial the pump way down to low intensity for long cooks or way up for high intensity for shorter cooks. I fill the tube with chips (you can use small chunks or pellets too, although I found the binder in the pellets gunks things up with a thick tar), and can obviously reload throughout the cook if I want to. A full tube produces about two hours of smoke. I'll be using this with whiskey barrel chips for my Christmas Prime Rib.

IMG_1786.jpg

Kinda like the smoke pistol?

12 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

Kinda like the smoke pistol?

Had to look that up. Kinda like that, in the sense that it is controllable and introduces the smoke from outside the cook chamber. But different in the sense that it doesn't require special cartridges and doesn't have it's own ignition source. 

This is a view down the tube showing ignition. I create a small bed of chips up to the level of the holes and the air tube. You can see that the tube is open in order to suck the smoke in with the forced air from the pump. You can ignite from the side holes with a torch, or drop a small piece of a starter cube in there. Whatever the method, you want a good bed of smoldering chips before adding more. Once that's done, top off the tube, put the cap on, and insert in the KK.

2016-09-24 08.44.41.jpg

Here's what it looks like cranking out smoke:

2016-09-24 10.01.19.jpg

And if you remove the lid. Very smoky in there.

2016-09-24 10.56.48.jpg