Probe Storage recommendations?

In2Fish

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas Fellow Kamado Gurus.

I'm thinking like most of you, we all have a number of bbq thermometers, and a bunch of probes. Between a Thermoworks Smoke, two DOTs, two Chef Alarms, plus extra probes I've ordered along the way, I have a few probes.   I can never seem to keep them organized, and they end up tangled. 

I need help... what do you do, or how do you store your probes?    Any pictures to share of creative solutions?

David

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas Fellow Kamado Gurus.

I'm thinking like most of you, we all have a number of bbq thermometers, and a bunch of probes. Between a Thermoworks Smoke, two DOTs, two Chef Alarms, plus extra probes I've ordered along the way, I have a few probes.   I can never seem to keep them organized, and they end up tangled. 

I need help... what do you do, or how do you store your probes?    Any pictures to share of creative solutions?

David

The iGrill2 has spools to help organize them. I don't know if the spools are available separately. You might check Weber's website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are usually in a tangled mess in the lower part of my grill "tool box".  But I definitely need a better solution?

one thing I have considered in the past, but never gone anywhere with it.... Some sort of light weight "knife roll"... Probably not the right name for it, but it's like a long peice of material or leather and it has little elastic straps to put knives or tools in, then it rolls up like a jelly roll.  A lightweight one of those, with narrow slots, might be the best solution.  You'd loop the wire in about a eight inch loop, push together and struck it in a two strap spot.  

Something like this this for pocket knives would be perfect (maybe?).

https://www.amazon.com/United-Cutlery-UC1183-Knife-Roll/dp/B000GXPP38/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1482542030&sr=8-7&keywords=Knife+roll

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

+1 keep them in seperate plastic bags, no tangles.

keep perfectly dry, never allow water to enter the probe.   RTV is probably ok but the acetic acid released during the cure, may negate the benefit of sealing up the probe.

thermocouples and all fine-wires suffer by pinching from any source, so clothespin is not optimal.  The lid and heat will kill them eventually anyway.

I found these a while back and just got around to printing some: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1962968

I think they will work great. They snap together tightly and it felt like I would break them before I'd be able to pull them apart. So they will hold easily in storage.

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

The faces of my print are pretty ugly, I used a raft. I'm still learning 3D printing and don't have much luck printing without a raft. They'd look much cleaner if I didn't use the raft.

I may have to tweak the design a bit as my probes are no longer bent at 90-degrees; they won't go in the probe port on the KK at 90-degrees, so I have to straighten them a bit.

I will also have to tweak the design for my thermocouples, the tube that holds the probe doesn't have a large enough inner diameter to push in the thermocouples.

Nice @cschaaf I looked around on Thingiverse and a couple of other such sites myself.

I've been thinking about designing/printing a card type probe holder that would have a spool/reel near each end and a sleeve to cover the probe tips at either end to hold two probes per card. That's one of those projects that I keep saying "I'll get around to it" when, realistically, it may never happen. :)

In the interim the earbuds cases work pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting the ear bud cases. I picked up this small case from Harbor Freight. It's a tight fit but I managed to get everything inside.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Can you remove the advertising off the cover of the case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2/22/2017 at 9:02 AM, cschaaf said:

I will also have to tweak the design for my thermocouples, the tube that holds the probe doesn't have a large enough inner diameter to push in the thermocouples.

I ended up printing another one, then reaming out the probe hole with a drill bit. Works perfectly for my thermocouple and took a lot less time than me trying to edit the print file.

IMG_0502.JPG

23 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

I ended up printing another one, then reaming out the probe hole with a drill bit. Works perfectly for my thermocouple and took a lot less time than me trying to edit the print file.

IMG_0502.JPG

I love the idea, just curious, aside from the 3d printer, what does something like this cost to print/make?

12 minutes ago, In2Fish said:

I love the idea, just curious, aside from the 3d printer, what does something like this cost to print/make?

You need the printer and a spool of filament. 

I printed these using some Hatchbox PLA which runs about $25 for a 1 Kg spool in black. The program I use estimates printing cost based off of the spool cost - I don't remember off hand, but the two parts together probably cost less than $1.

The big cost, of course, is in the printer - but you can get entry level printers for not all that much.

The other 'cost' is time - the two halves of that probe storage setup probably took about 8 hours to print.With some tweaking of the printer and settings, that could probably be reduced, but I'm not that advanced yet. lol