Jump to content

Upper Cooking Rack for Jr.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off I have to say I love the Akorn Jr.  I take it to my cabin often.  Ithaca become my everyday cooker for the two of us.  I've cooked for 6 depending on what we're eating.  I was looking to mak

Thanks for posting the pictures and for the inspiration K'man.  I was able to obtain the rack from Homedepot.com for $6.99 with free shipping model #7439 and I'm lucky to have a friend who is an excel

The new and improved version of the upper cooking rack for the Akorn Jr.  This rack was built by a person I met, on line as a result of my original post.  He has since joined this site.  This rac

Posted Images

1 hour ago, gotzero said:

Just so I can avoid walking through the store with my grate, is the correct pipe nipple size 3/4" or 1"? I see both referenced in this thread. Thanks!

 

It's 3/4"X4 and then you'll have to grind a bit off the threads of the nipple to get a nice fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gotzero said:

 

Thanks! Lucky enough to be able to throw it on a lathe, just wanted to make sure I get the correct size.

 

That's even better.  You want to stop the upper grate from tilting forward.  You might need a collar or a pin.  You'll see when you are doing the fitment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, K'man said:

 

That's even better.  You want to stop the upper grate from tilting forward.  You might need a collar or a pin.  You'll see when you are doing the fitment.

 

Thanks! I was thinking I would try and find a washer to weld on for a collar similar to the one on the full size Akorn. Two covers and stones are on the way, now to find some black PVC to make legs for the Jr my child as not already claimed as her ground-level barbecue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-08-28 at 6:02 PM, gotzero said:

 

Thanks! I was thinking I would try and find a washer to weld on for a collar similar to the one on the full size Akorn. Two covers and stones are on the way, now to find some black PVC to make legs for the Jr my child as not already claimed as her ground-level barbecue. 

 

Don't forget to post some pics of your mods.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

BTW, if you're like me and have no access to tools and no welding experience you could buy the necessary parts and bring it to a local muffler shop and have them do it.  They might charge you 10-15 bucks shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do.  Fortunately for me, I have a buddy that will be helping me with this.  I'll post picks as soon as it's done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 3:13 PM, TomB said:

Thanks for posting the pictures and for the inspiration K'man.  I was able to obtain the rack from Homedepot.com for $6.99 with free shipping model #7439 and I'm lucky to have a friend who is an excellent welder.   The brace is made from 1/4" stainless rod TIG welded to the pipe nipple and the grate.  The grate is welded to a groove I cut in the top of the nipple.  I'll be using it to increase the cooking capacity of my Jr.

There is so much to learn on this forum for us newbies. I've had my Jr for just over three months and I'm getting a lot of use from it and creating delicious meals.  

 

Any chance you’ll make a few for sale?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hfw said:

 

Which canning rack is this? Is this the same one you use for pizza? Do you have a link?

Inquiring minds...<ggg>

 

Yes take that canning rack and set it on your grate for an added second rack or

to use it for pizza you can either leave on your cooking grate or I prefer to remove the cooking grate and friction fit it into the fire bowl.

I saw your other post so gave you a more detailed explanation of my method.

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, K'man said:

 

Yes take that canning rack and set it on your grate for an added second rack or

to use it for pizza you can either leave on your cooking grate or I prefer to remove the cooking grate and friction fit it into the fire bowl.

I saw your other post so gave you a more detailed explanation of my method.

:)

Thanks! I’ll go find it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 9/27/2017 at 6:13 PM, lowbee said:

BTW, if you're like me and have no access to tools and no welding experience you could buy the necessary parts and bring it to a local muffler shop and have them do it.  They might charge you 10-15 bucks shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do.  Fortunately for me, I have a buddy that will be helping me with this.  I'll post picks as soon as it's done.

 

Did you ever get this rack made? I recently bought an Akorn Jr. and would love to have a rack made, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...