I lit the akorn to bring it up to temp for a standing rib roast for Christmas diner. The temp got away from me so i closed the vents and lifted the lid.

A sudden loud combustion of flames when the lid was a 1/4 of the way open( i did burp the grill),  I was lucky to only sing my ar hair and 1st degree burn on my wrist. i feel realy stupid for not paying more attention to the grill.

I submited this to you all as a reminder that things can go real bad if not careful and dilagent while grilling

Good call on the reminder, but once you have experienced it (which I have) you will remember it for life. I laugh about it now but there was nothing funny about it at the time. Glad you are ok.

Yeah. Always give yourself a long while before opening the lid after significantly shutting the vents. Then I do more than a burp. I leave the lid open by about and inch for a minute before opening the lid fully. I have a kk so I can do this without risk of burning myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup that's pretty much the textbook situation for a flash fire in a kamado. If you find yourself in the same spot again you may want to try re-opening the vents for a while before opening the lid. A set of welder's gloves is also a good addition to your cooking gear.

Thanks for sharing this important safety reminder. Glad your roasted beef and roasted arm both turned out OK!

Ditto...Been there done that too with my Grill Dome when I was but a Kamado pup, even though I had already read about the possibility of it happening on another BBQ forum.  The smell of singed arm hair is something you don't easily forget!  Luckily for me, the damage wasn't any worse than that.  

I haven't experienced a flashback with either of my Akorns though. Lesson learned!