• Similar Content

• By KamadoJones86
      Hey guys, I just got done with my first big low and slow cook yesterday. Pork butt cooked perfectly for 10+ hours only to find (literally) hundreds of wire brush bristles sitting in my drip pan when I went to clean everything out. Obviously, this can be a health concern and I even found 2 stuck to the bottom of the grate when I started double checking so the whole batch had to go straight into the trash...completely gut wrenching (but hopefully not literally, we did eat 2 sandwiches before we saw this).

What are you guys using to clean your grates? These bristle brushes have me freaked out now but there is a lot of skepticism around the effectiveness of some of the alternatives. At this point, I just need to know what works well on the KJ so everyone stays safe and no more hard work has to go in the garbage.

Thanks in advance!
    • By CentralTexBBQ
      I'm about to cook a brisket however, I've just never run into this before. Anybody recognize this? Would you still cook it?

• By kc_smoke&bbq
      Hi.  I am new too the board.  I love my Char-Griller Akorn and have had it almost 3 years.  Unfortunately, it recently got way too hot and now is in need of an overhaul  I have the crimson red version, but now has a black ring around it where paint burned off (where cover meets bottom half as well as around vent structure up top due to the heat) when it went well past the 700 degrees on the thermometer.  I have a few questions I am asking for help with below.  Some more background....I've never properly seasoned the grate so that is my first step using Pam and heating to 400 degrees for an hour.  Also, I have pinched the gasket after my disaster cook and that seems to have bounced back fine.

1.  Inside of top of grill is kind of a brown/rust color after this incident.  I lightly brushed and wiped with a wet cloth the next day, but after my next cook it still doesn't look right.  Prior to this I would experience the black flakiness that others have mentioned and would brush periodically.  But how do I clean this current situation?

2.  I would like to try and match the original color as best as possible, but am having trouble.  I have linked color I have below.  I'm going to use a flat high-heat paint for the black legs and bottom stand, but I think I need a gloss for red to be consistent with how a new Char-griller Akorn--correct?  Finding a dark red, high heat paint in gloss is proving to be difficult.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-AKORN-20-in-Red-Silver-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill/50387508

3.  Any other tips/advice welcome?!?!?

I am so bummed this happened and am kicking myself, but hoping you all can help.
    • By later4ya
      After finishing a brisket on the 4th, my Big joe is pretty grimey (grates and deflector plates). Just wondering, do you guys normally do a cleaning after a brisket cook?
    • By Cap'n Clyde
      Starting a new thread because this question is strange. I have smoked several cuts with different types of wood. Now when my daughter grilled a steak (unseasoned) and a pizza, she said it tasted like a stick. I have cleaned and oiled the grill thoroughly several times and I don't see any creosote. There is no smell from the cold grill. Would lump charcoal cure the problem? Any ideas as to why this is or any suggestions on how to remedy it?
      Cheers,
      Cap'n Clyde