Hi

LSUfan31

Hi, everyone.  Just got a Char-griller Akron for Christmas, so I thought I would come here to get some tips.  I've always owned a grill of some sort, both charcoal and gas.  But for some reason I feel like this is my first "real" one.  To say I am a novice is an understatement. 

I think my biggest challenge is going to be building the right sized fire.

I have also read a lot of other forums and advice columns for smoking, and have seen a lot of comments on using indirect heat.  Not sure how to achieve indirect heat, since there is only one cooking surface large enough for two racks of ribs, or a larger cut of meat.  I would really like to start off by smoking some ribs this weekend, but I am a little intimidated.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, be sure to post pics of your cooks! If you're looking for a heat deflector check out your local Pottery/Ceramic supplier and buy a Kiln Shelf (Thorley is a brand name) and use it as your deflector or get two and use the second as a pizza stone.  They are typically cheaper in cost,thicker in material than 'typical' pizza stones,withstand thermal shock much much better.  

Welcome LSU fan. My wife is an LSU grad. I have had lots of great times at LSU. GEAUX Tigers!!!

i know a whole bunch of peeps already answered your question on indirect heat, but I will chime in anyhow. Unfortunately the Akorn, like many kamados, does not come equipped with a heat diffuser. You can order them from Amazon or Lowe's or  probably just about any place that sells char griller items. I think it runs between 30 and 40 bucks.  The girl I work with who cooks on an Akorn uses the weber grate and pizza stone set up that other have mentioned above. That is what she recomends. And her husband works for a company that caters BBQ events, so he probably knows his q.