2. bostoncoffeeparty

bostoncoffeeparty

3. wb.tarleton

wb.tarleton

4. freddyjbbq

freddyjbbq

• Similar Content

• By St1brew
      First of all, I would like to say that I hope everyone had a great Christmas or holiday that was spent with the special people in your life. Happy New Year to all. 

Now onto the cook!
      Preheat the oven to 500 f. 
      We started with a 5.5 lbs four bone "prime" prime rib. We left it out for the majority of the morning to let it get to room temp. This cook was done almost exactly to the Food Wishes method, video here: Food Wishes Prime Rib.
      Here is me coating it with 2 sticks of softened butter. I used freshly ground black pepper, garlic, oregano, cilantro, and rosemary in the butter in no specific measurements(eyeballed it). It smelled great. Wish I had lavender in the house, but went with what I had.

Note the dog, who would've gladly eaten ANY of this raw....

After that, simply coat the butter with kosher salt.
      This couldn't be any more simple from here. Make sure the oven is at 500. Then it's 5 minutes per pound rounding up(ex 5.5lbs = 30 minutes cook time) add one minute for heat loss on opening oven. As soon as the timer goes off, shut the oven off and place two hours on the timer. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN! At the end of two hours, remove meat. I probed mine because I wanted to be sure it would be done, and admittedly I was a bit worried and felt like I was flying blind with an expensive piece of beef. Here's the probe right out of the oven.

130 right on the button! The Bones were removed with a very slight pull.
      Still a bit concerned, I was eager to see the cross section, so I sliced right down the middle.
      I probably could have used a butter knife. Here are the halves.

And finally here are the MONEY SHOTS!

It was delicious and I recommend giving it a try. My wife made some nice cream cheese whipped potatoes, steamed broccoli and stuffed mushrooms. We ate it with a nice glass of red wine, which complemented the meal nicely. Everyone loved it(even the dog and cat, that had a few small scraps)!
    • By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      I made this for Christmas dinner to feed a family of ten.  I had just enough left over for lunch the next day, but I also cooked the bones down further to make a nice beef stock for soup later in the week.

An annual end of the year tradition, I cook a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner. In addition to dry brining to help the meat retain moisture and add flavor, I also remove the bones (to use for the drip pan and to make beef stock from later) and tie it up with butcher string to make it round instead of oblong.  The round cross section helps to ensure an even doneness throughout. The meat is slow cooked until rare and then seared over high heat to produce an awesome medium-rare prime rib.

View the BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud chart for this cook: https://sharemycook.com/Cook/Detail/25ea1c8a-b59c-42f7-a905-ddf351c3f9aa
      Horseradish Cream Sauce Recipe: https://youtu.be/-4jIrLsgiHk

• By John Setzler
      Part of my christmas gift to my mom this year was a dinner for six where she and my dad could have two other couples over for dinner and I would provide and prepare the meal.  I wasn't sure how well this 'gift' idea would go over but after today I know it was a huge success.  

My mom has my ORIGINAL Kamado Joe Classic.  When I got a different classic, I moved this one to her house where she and my dad cook on it fairly often...

At any rate, my mom chose prime rib and whatever I wanted to fix with it as her choice for this meal.  I picked up a nice prime rib roast at Costco.

I tied it up to hold a nice shape and then seasoned it with salt, pepper, a little paprika, and a little granulated garlic and placed it in a vacuum seal bag.  I let that rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

I used my Nomiku sous vide controller to cook this roast at 132°F for 7.5 hours.  After that time was up, I removed the roast from the vacuum seal and patted it dry with paper towels.  I applied a paste I had made of dijon mustard, olive oil, thyme and rosemary to the outside.

I seared it off on the outside on the cast iron griddle in the Kamado Joe Classic...

It was cooked to perfection.  This is the first time I have tried a prime rib via sous vide and I would not hesitate to do this again.  I do prefer the rotisserie for this but in today's cook I was more concerned with having dinner on the table at a specific time and this sous vide cook allowed me to do that hassle-free.  

Before the prime rib went to the grill, I cooked this:

This is my favorite pie.  It's the peach pie with the filling that includes Grand Marnier and Amaretto... awesome stuff....

It was a good day... one of those days where I cooked all day  

For sides on this meal, I made roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus, and I also made a horseradish dip to go along with the prime rib for those who wanted it.  
    • By Baby Back Maniac
      I hope you guys like this one. My plan before Black Friday was to do a prime rib video and another video where I do a plug for some of my favorite bbq gadget companies. (Nobody pays me to do this so when I say "plug" I mean it just a personal recommendation...was thinking Christmas present ideas.)   Well, I ran out of time so I ended up doing the prime rib and just talking about some of my favorite toys.

I'm very happy with how this Prime Rib turned out. My wife said it was the best one I've done...In fairness, I was running late messing with the camera so she was REALLY hungry when I got done, but I'll take it.  I also think the "money shots" towards the end turned out pretty.  I just wish my wife would have read my mind when I thought REALLY HARD (but said nothing) about asking her to grab some horseradish sauce. LOL. 

• By alwyslpy
      Hello everyone! Hope to get some guidance!
      For Turkey Day, I plan on making a 16 lb turkey and a 4-bone prime rib roast. I'm afraid the prime rib won't fit in my Kamado Joe Jr and will have to go on the Big Joe as well. This means I will have to cook one and than the other. With both requiring 3-5 hours of cook time, one will be cold by the time dinner is served. So my question is, whats the best way to go about this? Should I do turkey first or prime rib first? I'm thinking turkey first just because the prime rib is more delicate IMO. If so, whats the best way to keep the turkey warm, or if need be heat back up? Should I carve it ahead of time?
      Thank you in advance for any tips!

Billy