MarkM2

Is this a good deal

Even better that it comes with the nest, best deal I've found so far is $1000 with no nest or tables. At $250 and having to buy the firebox and ring, you're still probably in it for about $500 and those two pieces will get you a life time warranty buying them new from Green Egg. 

If it is in good shape, I would say that is a deal. But, the cynical side of me asks the question why is someone selling an empty case? Is the case cracked and then replaced by BGE, with the fire box and fire ring removed to the new case and the old cracked one up for sale? Don't know, but wonder, and would really check that case closely. On the bright side should the case be in good shape and you purchase it, and then purchase the fire box and fire ring from BGE, both the fire box and the fire ring will carry BGE's full and complete warranty because you are the original owner. If The case is in good shape, this opportunity could allow you to have an XL at a very reduced price. 

Yes I got it.

The original owner had it and it got a scuff mark in a storm,  The dome and base are in excellent shape other than a scuff mark on the lower vent.  The guy I bought it from had no I idea what he needed on the inside, the original owner told him all he needed was a new gasket.  I told him he needed a firebox and fire ring so he lowered the price.  I have checked with a couple BGE dealers that are somewhat close to me.  It should cost me a little over $300 for the firebox and ring.  So all in all not to bad. 

I did have a second Akorn that I hadn't used yet and I sold it for a little more than I paid, but I got that one on clearance at Walmart.  So I really won't have that much in the BGE XL.

I finally had time to go get all the pieces I needed to get the XL back together.

I got her fired up yesterday and a couple slabs of baby backs, baked beans and sweet corn on it.

All turned out excellent!  Temperature control was so much better than my Akorn, but I knew that would be the case.

I'll have to get the pic loaded.