New KJ gasket!

jlindstrom

^ and more to the point, why return?

The changes are nice & all, but when they're in production is still wide open. So returning now would mean missing out on nice cooks in the meantime.

And to top it all, none of the changes have any affect on the quality of food produced.

Many of the options will be readily available should any of the parts fail.

1) top cap - if you want it, it's plug&play. Buy it as spare & install for use. Old top cap will continue to work just fine.

2) Gasket - you need to replace gasket every few years anyway, so you'll get it next time when you order spares.

3) new firebox - if your current box cracks, you'll get. If it doesn't crack, you won't need it.

4) new hinge - doesn't fit current models. However problems with hinges have been few & far apart. Problems could be mostly avoided by regularly tightening bolts on current hinge? And should it result in catastrophic failure, I'm sure warranty would sort out a new design replacement.

5) all stainless hardware - this is and has already been available in standalone version. you made the choice when you bought the kamado

6) "pit boss" control - has nothing to do with the grill design and will be separate accessorie. Just buy it.

That's all sliced and diced. Again, why would anyone return? I certainly hope people think before they act on this. Good return policy is not meant for try&buy, unless specifically advertised so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bought my kj from costco which is my favorite store. I know lots of people abuse the return policy but I can't ever bring myself to do something like that. I bought my vision from costco as well. If it wasn't for costco return policy I would not have taken a chance on the vision. That grill changed my life. Now I have 3 kamados and I'm an addict. I look forward to seeing the upgrades in the future. 

Am I missing something?  Looking at the new and improved firebox above where is the opening to scrape out the ashes with the clean out tool during a cook?  Maybe none of the pics I have seen show the opening.  

Will this new FB change the interior dimensions of the box. So I guess what I am asking is the KickAsh still going to fit or will they have to modify the KA to fit the new KJ?

Cheers,

OR

2 minutes ago, OpenRange said:

Am I missing something?  Looking at the new and improved firebox above where is the opening to scrape out the ashes with the clean out tool during a cook?  Maybe none of the pics I have seen show the opening.  

Will this new FB change the interior dimensions of the box. So I guess what I am asking is the KickAsh still going to fit or will they have to modify the KA to fit the new KJ?

Cheers,

OR

I have been following the FB posts, that is where the info I am about to relay comes from. 

1) there is still a ash removal spot. 

2) the KA will fit. 

10 hours ago, Jesse said:

Improvements look great, wonder how man costco returns they will have for people wanting the new and improved kamado. 

I hope no one would do that.  What a gross misuse of a policy in place to help customers be confident in their purchases and not having to worry about a product messing up after say a 90 day return policy has expired and being stuck with the product.  I believe that if people started doing this Costco may alter their return policy on items sold at road shows or alter their return policy all together.  What you have to realize is that nothing is free and everything has a cost so someone is paying for this and I doubt a company is willing to just eat these costs.  There is a cost involved in being innovative and continuing to improve on products.  Yes someone that does this may get a new upgraded grill for the price difference but who is absorbing the loss? The average honest consumer is in the form of having to pay higher prices for products.  Companies are in the business to make money and to make profits so it is asinine to assume a company will eat these costs.  Nothing is free - someone somewhere is paying for it.

Kamado Joe takes such great care or their customers and I for one do not want to see that go away.  

It is sad to see what measures some people go through just to get the latest and greatest model upgrade.  Good thing the auto industry doesn't have this type of return policy because I can only imagine what would happen if it did!  :)

Just my 2 cents on the subject.  Feel free to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Chuck0531 said:

I hope no one would do that.  What a gross misuse of a policy in place to help customers be confident in their purchases and not having to worry about a product messing up after say a 90 day return policy has expired and being stuck with the product.  I believe that if people started doing this Costco may alter their return policy on items sold at road shows or alter their return policy all together.  What you have to realize is that nothing is free and everything has a cost so someone is paying for this and I doubt a company is willing to just eat these costs.  There is a cost involved in being innovative and continuing to improve on products.  Yes someone that does this may get a new upgraded grill for the price difference but who is absorbing the loss? The average honest consumer is in the form of having to pay higher prices for products.  Companies are in the business to make money and to make profits so it is asinine to assume a company will eat these costs.  Nothing is free - someone somewhere is paying for it.

Kamado Joe takes such great care or their customers and I for one do not want to see that go away.  

It is sad to see what measures some people go through just to get the latest and greatest model upgrade.  Good thing the auto industry doesn't have this type of return policy because I can only imagine what would happen if it did!  :)

I agree. The whole reason the TV/electronic return policy is different is because people were doing this with TVs as the tech changed every 6-12 months.  

Since you can get the FB/vent/gaskets for the current model, and you will have to pay more for the new model it doesn't make sense to return it just to upgrade. 

My limited understanding of Costco policy is that the KJ not Costco would end up eating the cost of the return.  Maybe someone who knows more can confirm/correct me.  

5 minutes ago, Chuck0531 said:

It is precisely that type of abuse that caused Costco to modify their return policy for electronics. People were abusing the cr@p out of it "upgrading" to the newest HDTV every six months, so Costco had to do something...

I have come to accept that some people have zero morals.

On 1/4/2017 at 9:44 PM, smithereens said:

2) KJ makes fantastic kamados. Period. If you buy the one currently in production you won't be disappointed in it on any level at all. 

On 1/5/2017 at 3:43 AM, onewondershow said:

I bought my kj from costco which is my favorite store. I know lots of people abuse the return policy but I can't ever bring myself to do something like that.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:29 PM, Marty said:

Sorry but I just do not feel that people should use the return policy at Costco that way. I have seen people returning lawn mowers at Home Dept that were quality and it looked like they were bought to just mow a lawn with the intention to return. In the end this hurts us all.

Still a valid question.

I couldn't agree more...

I had a decision to make last year, travel 230 miles and buy the Big Joe at a Roadshow or wait two months and perhaps obtain the Demo deal. I drove the 230 miles. At an even later roadshow, a rep– who will remain nameless– hinted that i could return my Big Joe per Costco's policy and obtain the Demo Deal. First of all, my character is more important to me than acquiring to new or supposedly better thing. Next, with all due respect, the Joe Jr. is cute but, I'd never use it.

It really ticks me off to keep reading about all of the people who are apparently stocking KJ firebaskets because a perfectly usuable f.b. has a crack. My bottom vent was leaking air. I checked with KJ to see if there was any way to remedy it. Apparently, the vent can't be replaced so they offered me a new bowl. Great Customer Service: I turned it down. It really doesn't affect any cooks and I don't know that it has occured much since. The returns certainly factor into price increases for future KJ's.

Finally, of all the upcoming upgrades and changes to the Big Joe, the top vent appeals most. I like the idea to keeping the rain out. Then I think, "Why am I worried about the inside of the Joe getting water while I'm standing out in the rain? I'll just go with an umbrella or perhaps a pavillion at some point. The gasket would be nice, when the time comes to replace the current gasket. As stated in the 'sales pitch', the new hinge has a wow factor, I guess. But, i've always been taught that if I'm looking, I'm not cooking. I'll pass...

Hear, Hear!

I'll pick up a gasket when they are available. Hopefully, it will work well on an older model (no latch and older hinge).  My fire bowl cracked over a year ago and KJ replaced it.  I, however, never put it in. I have been happily and successfully cooking on the cracked bowl. I have taken it out twice to do a deep clean.  It meshes back together nicely and I cook on - no worries!

13 hours ago, Kamado Al said:

First of all, my character is more important to me than acquiring to new or supposedly better thing. Next, with all due respect, the Joe Jr. is cute but, I'd never use it.

1st I agree completely with your morals about not making someone else pay for your desire to have the latest and greatest thing:congrats:.

2nd Before you say you'd never use a jr you may want to peruse the jr section on this forum. It is beyond believe what some of our great members have used those for. It truly boggles my mind how creative some folks have been and what they have been able to cook with em. I would love one for searing after a Sous Vide cook. These would also be great for teaching a young chef in the household as it could be placed on a small table and the lid could be lifted and closed very easily by a youngster. Of course you would have to teach them that it's not a toy. It can still burn em, but what a memory they would have when they are adults and have their own children. Come to think of it, you really need 1 for each child you have cause they will want to pass it down to their children. See you need lots of Jrs not none:rofl:.

3 hours ago, smoker08 said:

1st I agree completely with your morals about not making someone else pay for your desire to have the latest and greatest thing:congrats:.

2nd Before you say you'd never use a jr you may want to peruse the jr section on this forum. It is beyond believe what some of our great members have used those for. It truly boggles my mind how creative some folks have been and what they have been able to cook with em. I would love one for searing after a Sous Vide cook. These would also be great for teaching a young chef in the household as it could be placed on a small table and the lid could be lifted and closed very easily by a youngster. Of course you would have to teach them that it's not a toy. It can still burn em, but what a memory they would have when they are adults and have their own children. Come to think of it, you really need 1 for each child you have cause they will want to pass it down to their children. See you need lots of Jrs not none:rofl:.

Lol. I understand but, I'd rather still just use the Big Joe. It would literally sit on courtyard unused. The Texan in me says, "Go Big Joe or go home!"

On 1/5/2017 at 7:10 AM, Mewantkj said:

I agree. The whole reason the TV/electronic return policy is different is because people were doing this with TVs as the tech changed every 6-12 months.  

Since you can get the FB/vent/gaskets for the current model, and you will have to pay more for the new model it doesn't make sense to return it just to upgrade. 

My limited understanding of Costco policy is that the KJ not Costco would end up eating the cost of the return.  Maybe someone who knows more can confirm/correct me.  

Sadly, there are members that are willing to lug back a 250lb ceramic units only to buy the same one with upgraded features.  I think the person buying a KJ is not the typical costco member.  They're willing to pay for a quality product and will appreciate it, not look up and down the aisle for the lowest price.

As for Costco's return policy, its all pre-negotiated with the vendor so it varies quite a bit.  I will say that Costco foots the bill for more returned items than you think.