Dryer hose for cold smoking

You guys need to rethink your cold smoke setups.  The complications you go through are quite extensive.  All you need is one of the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker mazes (5x8 that uses pellets) and a rather large cardboard box.  The adaptations you have to come up with to make it work effectively in a Kamado grill is crazy.  Have you ever considered make a great cold smoker without using the kamado grill?  

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

You guys need to rethink your cold smoke setups.  The complications you go through are quite extensive.  All you need is one of the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker mazes (5x8 that uses pellets) and a rather large cardboard box.  The adaptations you have to come up with to make it work effectively in a Kamado grill is crazy.  Have you ever considered make a great cold smoker without using the kamado grill?  

Alton Brown did one with a hot plate and a Ci skillet and saw dust and a cardboard box.. I would love to see what you come up with. I am sure it would be awesome.

9 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I dont think I can cook outside without my Kamado. ;)

I have done it a lot already.. i need to do it again and make photos.  It isn't 'prettty' but it's effective and simple.  I have a small fold up table outside that i use.. I set my cheese on wire racks on that table and invert a cardboard box over the table.  On the bottom of the cardboard box (top side of cold smoke chamber) I poke a few decent sized holes.  I prop the bottom of the box up about an inch with some blocks and then set the pellet smoker underneath it on a block that is about 2 or 3 inches thick.  You can cold smoke with this setup when the ambient temp is 60-65 degrees because it won't generate enough heat in the box to ruin the cheese.  It works even better when its cooler.

On January 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM, John Setzler said:

I have done it a lot already.. i need to do it again and make photos.  It isn't 'prettty' but it's effective and simple.  I have a small fold up table outside that i use.. I set my cheese on wire racks on that table and invert a cardboard box over the table.  On the bottom of the cardboard box (top side of cold smoke chamber) I poke a few decent sized holes.  I prop the bottom of the box up about an inch with some blocks and then set the pellet smoker underneath it on a block that is about 2 or 3 inches thick.  You can cold smoke with this setup when the ambient temp is 60-65 degrees because it won't generate enough heat in the box to ruin the cheese.  It works even better when its cooler.

I'd like to see a picture of that. 

The problem with just having an Amazen pellet tray to work with is you are limited to what pellets you can buy.

Nowhere near the varieties of wood are available in pellet form as in just regular splits, chunks or chips.

Running a vent hose is no more difficult than setting up racks and a cardboard box.

I haven't cold smoked anything yet but looking forward to when I get some time. My thought on the vacuum hose is it fill the sense of being able to Magyver something which we don't often on kamados. If you come from high Weber kettle usage that was something a lot of people liked was that you Magyvered a lot...Too much. Anyway, I have a mini BGE, a Joe Jr and a classic and I'm looking forward to setting them up for a cold smoke that'll make Magyver himself proud. I'm going to try it during the warm summer.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

On 1/5/2017 at 11:15 PM, John Setzler said:

Good Morning John and the other Gurus.  You make a great point. sometimes simple is easier and cheaper.  Since I had both Joes, the dryer vent was rather easy and quick for me. I also had the dryer vent from a prior cold smoking experiment from a couple years back, so I had the pieces on hand.

I've played w/ other cold smoking setups over the past few years, using simple homemade boxes, various smoke generators, and so far, the current setup (for me anyway) has produced the best clean tasting/smelling smoke so far. This past batch of smoked salmon was my best to date, based on feedback from friends and family.    My past experiences (pre-kamado) the smoke was more harsh, so I was thinking it wasn't as clean a burn.  I think my current setup (as crazy as it is and looks :-) )  provides a cleaner burn.

David

2 hours ago, In2Fish said:

Good Morning John and the other Gurus.  You make a great point. sometimes simple is easier and cheaper.  Since I had both Joes, the dryer vent was rather easy and quick for me. I also had the dryer vent from a prior cold smoking experiment from a couple years back, so I had the pieces on hand.

I've played w/ other cold smoking setups over the past few years, using simple homemade boxes, various smoke generators, and so far, the current setup (for me anyway) has produced the best clean tasting/smelling smoke so far. This past batch of smoked salmon was my best to date, based on feedback from friends and family.    My past experiences (pre-kamado) the smoke was more harsh, so I was thinking it wasn't as clean a burn.  I think my current setup (as crazy as it is and looks :-) )  provides a cleaner burn.

David

How hot does it get inside the smoke chamber?

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

When I smoked the salmon it was a cold morning, the Big Joe never got above the mid 50s (55-56ish), the surface temp of the Joe Jr was 300F+, I think ~320F was the hottest I saw.  The dryer vent allowed the temp to cool very quickly in a relatively short distance.  

56 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

John, I did this in July when it was a fool's task to try to beat the heat.  But with the help of a cast aluminum casserole pan filled with ice a couple of times, I was able to keep the Big Joe temp below the outside ambient temp.  I think the way I had the vent tube go up then back down before going into the BJ helped cool the smoke some.  Could just be that I wanted to think that way though. ;)  I've since gotten the big smoke-box add-on for my LG700 pellet grill.  Haven't attached and used yet, but that'll be a no-brainier.  Will probably supplement the grills' pellets with an Amazin' Tube full of pellets close to the joint between hot and cold.

here's my post from July.  Considering it was pushing 100 outside, I think it worked pretty well.  This is the same concept of the "mailbox" smoker or "paint-can" smoker, etc.... I just wanted to use the Junior with Big Daddy to see if it would work.