First Butt, First Time w/ CyberQ, First Freezing Smoke!

GLOCKer

47 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

Glad everything is going good on your first butt, can't wait to see the final product! Now that you have busted your first cold weather cook I can see many more in your future-I'm like ms cleo!! lol

He lives in Georgia. The cold weather cooks will be few and far between. It'll be springtime in Georgia in another month. 

I got it up to 185 when the smoker temp started falling fast.  Sure enough, it was pretty much burned out.  It was VERY probe tender, so I pulled it and wrapped it before chucking it into a cooler.  It was starting to fall apart on the grill when I took it off.  A piece fell off onto the snow in my driveway so I ate it.  LOL  It was good!

15776826_10158228483960107_8203966622831

15844412_10158228483925107_6340819362937

15936719_10158228483770107_4558133444819

15844716_10158228483965107_5322066185054

15896214_10158228484120107_2761038390304

Thanks John! I used your simple directions from the pinned post in this section of the forum instead of the slightly more intensive method I learned from the BBQ class I attended. It came out great!

These smokers work really well in cold weather. Last night we cranked ours up to 550 degrees for pizza. It was 15 degrees out. Last week we smoked ribs and it was 10 degrees outside. The Kamado held its temp very well. I haven't tried smoking with the temp below zero...yet :-) 

Nice looking cook sir! 

Just now, ckreef said:

Great looking pulled pork. 

Thank you!  I intended to freeze it in chunks but screwed up a little.  The meat started falling apart when I removed the bone.  It fell apart more when I started cutting it up and pulling the fat off of it.  I guess next time I should just leave it alone and worry about doing all of that stuff after I've thawed it back out to eat it.

2 minutes ago, GLOCKer said:

Thank you!  I intended to freeze it in chunks but screwed up a little.  The meat started falling apart when I removed the bone.  It fell apart more when I started cutting it up and pulling the fat off of it.  I guess next time I should just leave it alone and worry about doing all of that stuff after I've thawed it back out to eat it.

It works either way. 

With our butt last night we had a few sandwiches and saved some pulled for tonight. I also froze 2 chunks for later on. 

2 hours ago, GLOCKer said:

That's how mine always is. After I rest it, I pretty much just have to look at it sternly and it shreds itself and spits out the bone. Would be hard to find chunks that hold tegether for vac seal. Cooking to more of a sliced pork consistency would help with that. Brisket I always seal in large chunks. Don't worry about it for pulled pork. 

Really good looking PP, I allays shread all of mine then put it with little sauce in the vacuum bags and freeze. When we need a quick dinner we pull out of the freezer and put it into a pot of boilig water with a rack to keep it off the bottom. When heated through cut the bag open and serve, tasts fresh as the day we cooked it.

My wife made me a load of bread in her new bread machine to help me make this for dinner tonight:

15896271_10158232492320107_2761372579340

I threw a splash of apple cider vinegar in with the pulled pork when I reheated it in the microwave and it came out great!!!  It was a ridiculously good sandwich!