Garvinque

What is really needed?

Ok, I want a KK for my birthday which is not until May. Gives me time to save up for it and I want a 19" Hi-Cap Table Top because it's just me for the most part and on occasion a few friends or family. The stand I know I want but what comes STANDARD with it and do I need the following trying to keep costs down.

1. Side tables

2. Baking stone

3. Grate Grabbers

4. Charcoal basket shield

5. Roti basket

6. Coco char fuel

I really need some help with this because this will be the most money I spent on something not a car! Also this is the one I want: THE GREEN GOBLIN WILL BE IT'S NAME!!!!

Green Komodo Kamado.jpg

4 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

Ok, I want a KK for my birthday which is not until May. Gives me time to save up for it and I want a 19" Hi-Cap Table Top because it's just me for the most part and on occasion a few friends or family. The stand I know I want but what comes STANDARD with it and do I need the following trying to keep costs down.

1. Side tables

2. Baking stone

3. Grate Grabbers

4. Charcoal basket shield

5. Roti basket

6. Coco char fuel

I really need some help with this because this will be the most money I spent on something not a car! Also this is the one I want: THE GREEN GOBLIN WILL BE IT'S NAME!!!!

1. Whether you need side tables or not only you can answer. Do you have another surface? What about the table it will stand on? Dennis has some great teak tables too...something to look into.

2. Do you bake? Then yes.

3. Not really. 

4. You mean the basket splitter? Not sure on a 19". ckreef can answer that one better. Definitely on my 23.

5. You'd be silly not to.

6. Definitely optional. ckreef doesn't like it. I do for low and slows (imparts zero flavor), but agree with ckreef that it gets very brittle with heat.

1. Totally optional depending on your space and what other surfaces you have near by. 

2. Baking stone is nice but I barely use mine. 

3. Not needed. I have a set I won in a KK pizza contest. I've only used them once or twice. 

4. Basket splitter - didn't get one but I probably should have. Since I have 2 KK's and an Akorn Jr I can easily get by without it. 

5. Definitely - it's not really a question. 

6. As HalfSmoke said I'm not fond of it. I sill have an unopened box or two laying around. If I had to do it over I'd round the shipping pallet out with as many boxes of coffee char that would fit. Great stuff. 

7. Double bottom drip pan. Makes for an excellent diffuser/drip pan. 

8. Cold smoker. Don't have it yet but I will one day. Works as a hot smoker too. 

The stand is also optional depending on how handy you are for simple wood working projects and if you have any tools for said projects. 

That's all I can think of for now. I'll add more to the thread if something strikes my mind. 

18 minutes ago, ckreef said:

1. Totally optional depending on your space and what other surfaces you have near by. 

2. Baking stone is nice but I barely use mine. 

3. Not needed. I have a set I won in a KK pizza contest. I've only used them once or twice. 

4. Basket splitter - didn't get one but I probably should have. Since I have 2 KK's and an Akorn Jr I can easily get by without it. 

5. Definitely - it's not really a question. 

6. As HalfSmoke said I'm not fond of it. I sill have an unopened box or two laying around. If I had to do it over I'd round the shipping pallet out with as many boxes of coffee char that would fit. Great stuff. 

7. Double bottom drip pan. Makes for an excellent diffuser/drip pan. 

8. Cold smoker. Don't have it yet but I will one day. Works as a hot smoker too. 

The stand is also optional depending on how handy you are for simple wood working projects and if you have any tools for said projects. 

That's all I can think of for now. I'll add more to the thread if something strikes my mind. 

Since you have a 19 what comes standard with besides the two grates?

I don't have a 19 but most of the accessories apply to the 23. I am kind of a minimalist so keep that in mind. I bought none of the accessories with my initial purchase. I am also not a fan of the coco char and would also definitely prefer the coffee charcoal. However I don't think it is a necessity. I just ordered myself a spit rotisserie and a basket that should be compatible in amazon, along with a basket splitter. This will give me the best of both worlds I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much agree with all of the above.

1. I have the stainless-topped, teak side tables and I love them, but if you have other places to set stuff down, they aren't necessary. They are very well crafted and I'd love to see one of the teak tables like @bosco has.

2. I have the baking stone, but don't use it much. I've recently switched to using the deflector as my pizza stone.

3. I have a set of the grippers. Never used them. The grates all have easy to grab handles and I already had welding gloves.

4. On the 23", the basket splitter is great for rotisserie cooks. You could get by without it if you wanted, but it's nice to have.

5. I like @shuley's idea with the straight rod (I don't see that listed for the 19", but Dennis would be able to let you know for sure). I have the basket. Either way, get one the one that fits you. You'll need a motor. We can help with that when the time comes.

6. @ckreef gave me a box of the coco char. I haven't tried it. I haven't had a need for a 'no smoke profile' cook, and I don't tast much smoke off of the lump that I typically use (KJ, RO, Fogo)

Ckreef's

7. I don't have the double bottom drip pan. Seems nice, but looks like a pain to clean. I'm perfectly happy with disposable foil pans - just have to be more careful so drippings don't burn

8. I don't have the cold smoker and depending on your needs, that's probably not necessary. Looks really cool though and one day I'll get it.

My add ons

9. The sunbrella cover if your grill isn't covered by something else. 

10. If you get the basket splitter a second basket would be nice. I don't have a second basket, so I find myself not wanting to use the splitter as often as I might.

20 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

10. If you get the basket splitter a second basket would be nice. I don't have a second basket, so I find myself not wanting to use the splitter as often as I might.

Is this so you don't have to keep setting it up and dismantling it? I like the basket over the straight rod so that isn't a issue, member now on the KK forum and have seen a few of your posts good stuff and I can't wait to get mine hurry up May 19th!:-o

1 hour ago, Garvinque said:

Is this so you don't have to keep setting it up and dismantling it? I like the basket over the straight rod so that isn't a issue, member now on the KK forum and have seen a few of your posts good stuff and I can't wait to get mine hurry up May 19th!:-o

Yes, that is correct. I have to empty my basket, put in the splitter pieces, and re-load the lump. The reverse when I am done with the roti (or a sear session). I'm usually too lazy and just light the lump on one side and hope it doesn't drift too far. ;)

I think I've made the swap every time for a roti cook. That lets me set up a drip pan over the non-lump side.

Thanks for the compliment - I am an amateur compared to most on the Guru and KK forums.

If you are able to wait until May, you might have the greatest self-control I have ever seen. ;) 

I got most of the accessories.  

For the 23 and 32 I have the double bottom drip pans.  I don't use them all that often but they make a nice deflector if you don't want to use the deflector stone.  For me personally, I don't use any deflectors anymore.  The fire to grill distance is far enough apart on a KK that a piece of foil is all I use now for low and slow.  Check with ckreef on the distance with the 19".

If I were buying a 19" tomorrow I would get

side tables in all teak for looks or with stainless tops for practicality.  I think the teak side tables make the KK pop. 

Cover for you is a top priority as you live in a cold climate.  Dennis recommends all KKs in our environment to be covered to help protect and preserve.  

Baking stone is second to Tom one on the market.  A must need for anyone looking to bake or do pizza.  

I personally love love the new single rod rotisserie shaft.  I have the basket too but the simplicity of the rod and after market accessories like baskets etc make the rod the better buy for me.  They are about the same price so pure convienence wins for me.  

I dont really use my splitter much, again a piece of foil on half the lower grate is perfect for me.  But I really should use it more to experiment.  If you buy the splitter, I agree with getting a second basket.  Just makes things easier.  

I have an a-max-n tube and the 5x8 maze so I haven't purchased a cold smoker.  I can see it's benefits but for me I already own something that does this for me.  If you are looking for things just to get this looks like a really neat tool.  Evaluate how much cold smoking you want.  

The double bottom drip pan is an amazing alternative to the deflector stone.  I really don't like deflectors as they absorb grease during cooks and can break etc and heavy.  The double bottom drip with a piece of foil makes for an easy clean up.  I think like I said above you don't have to have it or a deflector but again not sure about the 19".  I would likely grab it again.  

I will offer this advice to you.  If it's in stock... buy now.  You will wonder why you waited so long to get one in the first place.  Wanting to get one and waiting for delivery is torture lol.  Most say the same as you and order within a week after they make the decision to buy.  

I hope you you love it.  It is a quality built over engineered cooker and Dennis provides some of the best customer service I have ever seen 

5 hours ago, bosco said:

I got most of the accessories.  

For the 23 and 32 I have the double bottom drip pans.  I don't use them all that often but they make a nice deflector if you don't want to use the deflector stone.  For me personally, I don't use any deflectors anymore.  The fire to grill distance is far enough apart on a KK that a piece of foil is all I use now for low and slow.  Check with ckreef on the distance with the 19".

If I were buying a 19" tomorrow I would get

side tables in all teak for looks or with stainless tops for practicality.  I think the teak side tables make the KK pop. 

Cover for you is a top priority as you live in a cold climate.  Dennis recommends all KKs in our environment to be covered to help protect and preserve.  

Baking stone is second to Tom one on the market.  A must need for anyone looking to bake or do pizza.  

I personally love love the new single rod rotisserie shaft.  I have the basket too but the simplicity of the rod and after market accessories like baskets etc make the rod the better buy for me.  They are about the same price so pure convienence wins for me.  

I dont really use my splitter much, again a piece of foil on half the lower grate is perfect for me.  But I really should use it more to experiment.  If you buy the splitter, I agree with getting a second basket.  Just makes things easier.  

I have an a-max-n tube and the 5x8 maze so I haven't purchased a cold smoker.  I can see it's benefits but for me I already own something that does this for me.  If you are looking for things just to get this looks like a really neat tool.  Evaluate how much cold smoking you want.  

The double bottom drip pan is an amazing alternative to the deflector stone.  I really don't like deflectors as they absorb grease during cooks and can break etc and heavy.  The double bottom drip with a piece of foil makes for an easy clean up.  I think like I said above you don't have to have it or a deflector but again not sure about the 19".  I would likely grab it again.  

I will offer this advice to you.  If it's in stock... buy now.  You will wonder why you waited so long to get one in the first place.  Wanting to get one and waiting for delivery is torture lol.  Most say the same as you and order within a week after they make the decision to buy.  

I hope you you love it.  It is a quality built over engineered cooker and Dennis provides some of the best customer service I have ever seen 

Bosco thanks I'm looking at the double bottom drip pan as one of the accessories to get, I thought about it last night and the roti basket is perfect for me as I don't rotisserie food that often. HalfSmoke convinced me about the baking stone and CKreef on the size since his family is about the same size of people I cook for plus one-lol. For me the wait is something I have to do since my car is dying so that's first but my Birthday present to myself is the KK. I agree about a cover and while I have something to use I will get the cover Dennis produces because of the quality of materials used, I can hold off on the side tables for now and the stand isn't needed also going to build something myself.

Garvin