BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

Recirculating Wort Chiller

That's what I love about homebrewing.  There is so much DIY stuff out there.  It amazes me.

But be careful with the wort chillers.  I was brewing a batch and didn't remove all the water from the chiller when I used it last.  Well it the worth chiller heated up quickly and boiled the residual water out  with force.  I hadn't hooked the hoses up to it yet (quick connects).  I was half hammered and talking about something that seemed way more important than paying attention to what I was doing.  Anyway, when 212F water comes screaming out of a copper tube you get really agile even when drunk!   I managed to dodge most of it except for the toe of my right shoe.  New Balance tennis shoe mesh doesn't stop boiling water.  The result was 2nd and 3rd deg burns to my big toe and top of my foot.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:45 PM, diver165 said:

That's what I love about homebrewing.  There is so much DIY stuff out there.  It amazes me.

But be careful with the wort chillers.  I was brewing a batch and didn't remove all the water from the chiller when I used it last.  Well it the worth chiller heated up quickly and boiled the residual water out  with force.  I hadn't hooked the hoses up to it yet (quick connects).  I was half hammered and talking about something that seemed way more important than paying attention to what I was doing.  Anyway, when 212F water comes screaming out of a copper tube you get really agile even when drunk!   I managed to dodge most of it except for the toe of my right shoe.  New Balance tennis shoe mesh doesn't stop boiling water.  The result was 2nd and 3rd deg burns to my big toe and top of my foot.

Whoa!  Wild!