Rotisserie for Vision Classic B?

Toolman_Johnny

KJ JoeTisserie Works like charm on my Vision Classic.

top two pics using a "fill-it-n-grill-it" basket.  Filled with CSR's... Worked great.  Even sauced at end to get some glazed set sauce.  Basket was a horrible sticky mess, but comes aperture to 4 pieces to throw into dish washer.  Come out good as new.

nest two pics are of a Tri-tip, using a Vortex to do reverse-sear rotisserie style.

last pic is just a side view showing the fir of the ring with the Vision Classic.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Toolman_Johnny said:

Doesn't look like you can close the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how it's designed.  That is how it is used on the KJ Classic.  It's a "wedge" shape, fat in front and thin in back.  So it seals/closes on top and bottom.  If it was a normal ring shape, like the stackers made for Weber's, you would have to disconnect the hinge of your Kamado to set it on top of the ring.  The wedge sharp forms complete ring, but allows for lid to close as normal, just propped up in the front a few inches.  Brilliant design!

bottom of the JT has a lip that sits on the lower gasket, venters pretty much in the middle of the lower gasket.  The the top of the JT is a flat surface for the lid of the grill to sit on. Weight of the lid keeps everything nice and secure, seesntially air tight, with the exception of the hole in the ring where the spit-rod goes through... again, just like it was designed for tha KJ Classic.  The air there is really minimal and does nothing significant to controlling your pit temp.

16 minutes ago, Cgriller64 said:

I am seriously considering getting a fill it grill it basket for my Jotisserie. Nice pics. Glad to see you are getting great results.

Love that basket.  That Rib cook was my first use of that basket, see how pretty the end peices are.  Come to think of it, those were regular bone-in spare ribs.  Have done CSR's as well and they work even better.  You can do just about anything in it.  I try to take the shape of the good into consideration.  You don't want to stuff it too full, or the food Wong "tumble"... outside peices get cooked and inside pieces don't.  When you leave space to tumble, everything moves around and gets cooked pretty evenly.  Did a bunch of chicken legs and the were insane.  Shape of legs just begs to be tumbled, alternating fat/skinny sides on top, etc... 

Takes a a couple tries to figure out how the two peices of the cage hook up with the two end caps, but after you do it a couple of times, it's really easy.  Basically opens like lady-bug wings... the rods on the ends of the basket stay IN the end plates right by each other, then the opposite side of each half circle cage clip in to the end plate.  This configuration works great top open one or the other while it's on the rod, on the grill, with the motor turned off.  Leave one half clipped as a bottom bowl, up clip the top and lift up, giving you access to most of the inside of the basket.  If you leave the set-up above the fire, you need to be quick with your tending to the basket... Otherwise you can just pull the rod and basket out and pug it on a try.  Only rime you really want/need to open the basket is to check food for done-ness or if you have something wedged where it's not tumbling.

really a cool versatile basket.  Stores in essentially half the space of the assembled barrel.  The two half round cages stack inside each othe and the two end plates can slip in to the slots.  Takes some storage space, but not a ton.  Dishwasher has taken care of any mess I've gotten on it so far.  If you're washing by hand, a good soak in hot soapy water would probably be your best bet.  It's a little expensive, but I really do think it's worth it.  A lot more bang for your buck than a lot of stuff I've bought in the last several years. 

1 minute ago, Cgriller64 said:

Hey rob nice pics. Looks like the Jotisserie works just fine on the Vision B. Do you use the kick ash when spinning? Also did you stain the handle and side tables or were they dark like that when you bought it?

My side tables got weathered really bad and looked ugly, so I sanded them down and stained with darker colour and then sealed with clear coat, I did same to handle so that it matched how the side tables looked.  Yes, I use kick ask basket when spinning.    

9 minutes ago, Toolman_Johnny said:

Thanks for all the pics and the great explanation. Will add the JT to my wish list as it's rather pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ the Jotisserie is well worth the price IMHO. It is my most used Kamado accessory.

2 hours ago, jphii said:

@JayhawkPharmer, is that just a bucket with the bottom cut out?

Its a Vortex.  Really awesome accessory.  It's a cylinder that's got a "cone" type of angle to it, where one end of the tube is tapered in, like a wide funnel.  They show four different ways to use it on their website.  

http://www.owensbbq.com/vortex.html

On a Kamado, I use it primarily in the two positions on the Tri-tip cook.  That was kindof an experiment, but showed real promise.  for the first part of the reverse sear I had the coals and wood around the outside of the Vortex, with the wide end pointing up.  The deflected the heat around/away from the center of the pit, where I had the Tri-tip spinning, indirect.  Once it smoked up to the IT I wanted, I took it off the grill (removed the spit-rod with meat and forks still on) and flipped the Vortex with the small side pointing up.  I used long tongs to move all of the coals into the center of the Vortex, so then all of the heat (and occasional flame) is directed straight up the center.  I let that get roaring hot and put the meat back on to spin for a few minutes to sear the outside... Maybe five or six slow rotating.  This would be a case where a variable speed motor would be handy.  Would be nice to kick up the speed when you have the heat kicked up.  My Carson Rodizio has a dial that basically adjusts the speed (with the weight of the food)... Really like that feature.

sorry for the long explanation.  No, it's not a bucket. ;)

Im sure people could make their own version of this, but I'm not that handy... And the price is right for the quality of metal and convenience of just buying from them.  Good people at that business.  

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, JayhawkPharmer said:

Its a Vortex.  Really awesome accessory.  It's a cylinder that's got a "cone" type of angle to it, where one end of the tube is tapered in, like a wide funnel.  They show four different ways to use it on their website.  

http://www.owensbbq.com/vortex.html

On a Kamado, I use it primarily in the two positions on the Tri-tip cook.  That was kindof an experiment, but showed real promise.  for the first part of the reverse sear I had the coals and wood around the outside of the Vortex, with the wide end pointing up.  The deflected the heat around/away from the center of the pit, where I had the Tri-tip spinning, indirect.  Once it smoked up to the IT I wanted, I took it off the grill (removed the spit-rod with meat and forks still on) and flipped the Vortex with the small side pointing up.  I used long tongs to move all of the coals into the center of the Vortex, so then all of the heat (and occasional flame) is directed straight up the center.  I let that get roaring hot and put the meat back on to spin for a few minutes to sear the outside... Maybe five or six slow rotating.  This would be a case where a variable speed motor would be handy.  Would be nice to kick up the speed when you have the heat kicked up.  My Carson Rodizio has a dial that basically adjusts the speed (with the weight of the food)... Really like that feature.

sorry for the long explanation.  No, it's not a bucket. ;)

Im sure people could make their own version of this, but I'm not that handy... And the price is right for the quality of metal and convenience of just buying from them.  Good people at that business.  

That is cool.  I just ordered one!