My KJ adventures

jlindstrom

I started my story in the "Joined the ranks" thread, but figured I'll start another thread to document my way & continuos learning of KJ and BBQ.

By now I've done several cooks on the Big Joe, most of then very succesfull and some, due to my errors, less so.

Today I decided to flip some burgers. So I had decent beef/pork grind mix & made my patties as usual. I don't like to add anything. Just quick shaping & coat with salt and pepper. Rest of the flavor comes from the grill.

Decided to try a little different though and chucked in my coated (teflon?) Weber CI. Put in a decent ammount of coal and let the Big Joe scream. Went inside to prep the patties and forgot to check on Joe.. when I got back to it, it was scream hot at 900F. And something smelled a litt funny.. burp the Joe and then I saw CI ruined. I had scorched the surface coating! And this while outside temp is around 15F.

I tell you, with decent lump this thing gets hot! 

Anyway, since CI is now toast, I grilled the burgers on the grate. Needless to say the grate was hot enough for the burgers not to stick :-D

Best part, the burgers still turned out fantastic. And I learned another lesson, when driving up temps to searing level.. don't walk away from the grill for too long.

On the bright side, I just got a reason to get the KJ half moon CI grate. Maybe get pizza stone and the SS grate as well, while I'm at it.

Glad all turned out well other than the CI bit the dust.  I am still waiting on my first Kamado KJ Classic which I will pick up next Sunday.  I have a lot to learn and looking at different accessories like a dual probe remote thermometer.   This may help me to avoid a situation and or ruin the meal.

Cheers and keep on smokin!

OR

7 hours ago, OpenRange said:

Glad all turned out well other than the CI bit the dust.  I am still waiting on my first Kamado KJ Classic which I will pick up next Sunday.  I have a lot to learn and looking at different accessories like a dual probe remote thermometer.   This may help me to avoid a situation and or ruin the meal.

Cheers and keep on smokin!

OR

Don't bring your classic home without the remote thermometer.  When you are on the kamado learning curve this will help you feel much more comfortable, being able to keep an eye on temps without standing in front of the grill.  I don't use mine anymore except for long cooks, but getting started it was a really big help.  Trust me, its worth the money.

Ok, did some checking and it wasn't teflon.. it was actually the weber porcelain enamel CI griddle. That means I must have been pushing over 1000F to kill the coating.. the thermometer in dome stops at 900F and I was hitting the limit.

Guess it just goes to show these things push out some serious heat if you let them run wild.

Today's burger day again, on the grate..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So it was burgers and salad for dinner today. Man... you try to do good and then they turn out awesome instead! [emoji23]

Tomorrow it's bone-in chicken breasts. I'll try to replicate the previous success, but got couple of different ideas for the marinade though.

Chicken time!

Fired up the Big Joe and threw in some bone-in, skin on chicken breasts.

The chicken was marinated for 6-7 hours inside a vacuum marinating container.

Teriyaki inspired marinade, like here: http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/recipes-teriyaki-chicken

Heated the BJ up to around 300F and threw in a big chunk of apple wood for smoke. Half heat deflector on top of the x-rack and grates on high position.

No marinade wiping, chicken in straight from the fridge. Pulled at 160F IT and foil wrapped to rest for 10min.

Some green salad & brussel sprouts and organic natural yoghurt & garlic dip. Makings of a healthy meal and a pretty damn tasty one as well!

And I got the photos to prove it too..

IMG_1338.thumb.JPG.7ac8812c499d16da13569

IMG_1339.thumb.JPG.89a25224b6fcd8477d4c9

IMG_1340.thumb.JPG.03da02491ffec123bd0f4

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.0075db290253f6bbf654d

No photos this time, but at least a report..

Grilled some salmon medallion steaks today. Grill was on high heat, accidentally - got distracted, but even so they came out perfect.

Simple seasoning: coat with olive oil, grind salt & pepper and that's it.

Had a chunk of apple amongst the coals.

Did two steaks on grate and two on small CI griddle. The CI was easy to flip and nothing got stuck.

With grate on direct heat, the salmon was sticking a little. But that may have been my poor spatula technique [emoji16]

Kept the steaks on for roughly 1 minute per side.

They came out nice & tasted fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Been in a terrible flu for the past two weeks. Started off as regular flu and then developed into sinus infection.. sucked the energy out of me. So basically Big Joe's been sitting unused for two weeks!!

Today I finally felt fit enough to fire up the bbq. Seared some quick beef tenderloin steaks & some zuchini. High heat & two minutes a side, let rest in foil.

Tasted pretty damn good with some fresh greens and a glass of Australian red wine!

85b94de1bfd34b9c106fbf38f36d4859.jpg12e8f1302d93280556cbf3a071087331.jpg