My KJ adventures

jlindstrom

On 1/16/2017 at 0:27 PM, Marty said:

From personal experience, if you over heat Teflon it becomes a will stick pan. There is one of those urban legends where someones parakeet died when they over heated a Teflon. pan.

Got to love plain cast iron.

So, the adventures continued today.

I'd couple of my "first ones" today. It was my first low & slow on the Big Joe and it was my very first time _ever_ cooking beef short ribs.

I consulted lots of youtube clips on how to get do it right, but seems like everybody's got their own ideas [emoji16]

So what I did was remove the membrane under the ribs, covered the meat on all sides with a thin coat of mustard. Then put on my rub.

Loaded up the Big Joe, put both heat deflectors on the accessory rack and grates on top position.

I used Cuban lump with one chuck of whiskey barrel oak and two chunks of apple wood.

Once the kamado was at temp, I put on my ribs. Didn't touch them for next 3 hours and then wrapped in foil & drizzled with apple soda drink. Kept them on the heat, wrapped, for another 2 hours.

They came out with a crunchy bark & tasted pretty decent too.

The meat had dried out at the ends & underside a little. I think that's probably because it got a little too hot in the beginning between 280-300F in the dome. Next time I need to watch my temps better.

Here's the evidence for my first attempt:

fb649e4a268e6b5ba4cfe8aa32fd0805.jpg
b127d3b28b953fa9a1db48b5175ee1c8.jpg
80cf9f2b4236f941585bf21ce35ec4ee.jpg
212f1e767b110712ca3e0d049c8ab22f.jpg
acc92d7eb98d5d259fd39be37c376ce5.jpg
2afe6aecdd0a56a4445627903972951a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On the bright side, I just got a reason to get the KJ half moon CI grate. Maybe get pizza stone and the SS grate as well, while I'm at it.

I would definitely sacrifice my CI skillet to get the half moons I've been eyeing up! The Soapstone looks like the way to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did some spatchcock chicken tonight. Small bird, coated with crushed garlic infused olive oil & sprinkled with provencial herbs.

Spritzed with freshly squeezed orange/lemon/lime juice.

Taste was pretty good, though I charred the skin too much. Next time I'll knock down the temp some 50-100F on the dome.

Just for the sake of it, should probably calibrate the dome thermometer as well.

Even though this went to live&learn sector, was still a good cook. And was also the first time ever I spatchcocked a chicken.

Also it's become real evident how economic the KJ runs when doing lower temp cooks. High heat sear burns through coal like nobody's business though..

On 1/15/2017 at 1:26 PM, jlindstrom said:

I started my story in the "Joined the ranks" thread, but figured I'll start another thread to document my way & continuos learning of KJ and BBQ.

By now I've done several cooks on the Big Joe, most of then very succesfull and some, due to my errors, less so.

Today I decided to flip some burgers. So I had decent beef/pork grind mix & made my patties as usual. I don't like to add anything. Just quick shaping & coat with salt and pepper. Rest of the flavor comes from the grill.

Decided to try a little different though and chucked in my coated (teflon?) Weber CI. Put in a decent ammount of coal and let the Big Joe scream. Went inside to prep the patties and forgot to check on Joe.. when I got back to it, it was scream hot at 900F. And something smelled a litt funny.. burp the Joe and then I saw CI ruined. I had scorched the surface coating! And this while outside temp is around 15F.

I tell you, with decent lump this thing gets hot! 

Anyway, since CI is now toast, I grilled the burgers on the grate. Needless to say the grate was hot enough for the burgers not to stick :-D

Best part, the burgers still turned out fantastic. And I learned another lesson, when driving up temps to searing level.. don't walk away from the grill for too long.

On the bright side, I just got a reason to get the KJ half moon CI grate. Maybe get pizza stone and the SS grate as well, while I'm at it.

I'm never worried about too much heat with my soapstone.

Saw this video - it's the same soapstone that Kamado Joe uses.

Time for another first on the Big Joe.

Todays dinner was Picanha.

Beautifull sunny day, lots of snow around and temps at 23F.

Since I don't have Joetisserie, I scored the fat cap and cut the Picanha into thick steaks. Authentic Brazilian rub, just sea salt flakes.

So I salted the steaks and let them come up to temp for maybe two hours on desktop. They were sweating a bit.

Meanwhile heated up the Big Joe to about 450F. Put in the the divide and conquer system with x-rack. Put one half moon heat deflector on the x-rack and grill grates to high position.

Once Joe was stabilized & up to temp, I put the meat on the indirect side with the fat cap on on top and a probe in the largest chunk.

I pulled the meat at 130 internal temp and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing it.

The taste was something beyond belief. Didn't really know wether to cry or laugh out loud for joy. Some of the best meat I've honestly ever had. And the best thing of all, made by me!

So without further ado, here's some pics.

e686063e8899313093d8987b1775e2c4.jpg

And couple from morning walk, just to show the weather..

4b444170bf80456406c55a707403d119.jpg

b5b0b3be7a7d670c202956fb629d9182.jpg

On 16-1-2017 at 6:27 PM, Marty said:

From personal experience, if you over heat Teflon it becomes a will stick pan. There is one of those urban legends where someones parakeet did when they over heated a Teflon. pan.

Got to love plain cast iron.

Thats no urban legend. Overheating teflon will kill birds as will low concentrations carbon monoxide. 

4 hours ago, Mad Wally said:

Thats no urban legend. Overheating teflon will kill birds as will low concentrations carbon monoxide. 

Thanks for the confirmation. I did not want to quote that as a fact with out being sure. I an going to try a carbon steel pan for eggs. I have and have seasoned it twice but not used yet.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:42 AM, Patti said:

I'm never worried about too much heat with my soapstone.

Saw this video - it's the same soapstone that Kamado Joe uses.

Thanks for the video on soapstone. It just backs up what i already believed. It has been used in  wood stoves and is still used in wood stoves. It will be fine on a Kamado.

3 hours ago, Marty said:

I an going to try a carbon steel pan for eggs. I have and have seasoned it twice but not used yet.

Marty I have 3 carbon steel pans and do one last seasoning with onions and oil cook until onions are real black moving the onions all over and you will be set!

Garvin

1 minute ago, Garvinque said:

Marty I have 3 carbon steel pans and do one last seasoning with onions and oil cook until onions are real black moving the onions all over and you will be set!

Garvin

Thanks for the tip. The pan came with a recommendation to use salt and potato peels. That was what ATK recommended  also. But it just does not look ready. I will try your method.

Is there any best oil. I have been using Canola oil that we cook with.

27 minutes ago, Marty said:

Is there any best oil. I have been using Canola oil that we cook with.

I used peanut oil, but canola oil is just fine. I also did the potatoe peels with oil but was advised to do the onions afterward! What brand do you have?

Garvin