My KJ adventures

jlindstrom

Adventures contienue. Was a busy last week, but finally during weekend had time to do some bbq.

So I did some ribeyes, some pork neck and some picanha. All turned out nice.

The pork neck was a little experiment. I actually cooked it the same way as the picanha, turned out tasty.

It'll be another busy week this week and next week I'll be off to Canary islanda (Spain) for a week. So KJ Adventures will be running a little thin for next two weeks.

I'll try and get some fish done this week.

Ribeye:
54e48c78644d37213523d320f71bc791.jpg

Picanha prep:
825abbdf871d92c36c41b1aedbad8a2b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Spain and adventures continue.. have to say I was missing decent bbq meat during the week. We had a hotel package for all food, which turned out a bit of a mistake.

Anyway, since return I've done some tomahawk steak, burgers, salmon medallions.. it's all good! Today, time permitting, it'll be spare ribs time!

Winter has tuned into early spring, so bbq is only getting better with the weather finally starting to warm up [emoji106]

Sorry, forgot to take some photos..

Anyway, was Good Friday and that equals lamb roast.

Had relatives comes over and they brought some 5lbs herb marinated, lamb roast with them and asked me to bbq it. Was my pleasure - low&slow until 122F. Then wrapped in foil & cranked up the Big Joe to searing temps. Put the joint back in & gave it a good searing. Back to foil for rest.. end result 145F before carving. Turned out pretty darn good! Used apple wood chunk for smoke.

Today, rack of lamb per S60's recipe.

One of the best tasting dish I've done ever!

ce47b45ff7d5ca25f90dcb8a61120a44.jpg

25c441aeea8eec0bbae41e0412091b59.jpg

Dijon + garlic marinade, couple of branches of fesh rosemary. 6-7 hours in marinade.

Big joe to 450-500F, with half grill on indirect using divide&conquer.

First side on indirect and second side on direct. Pulled the racks at 122F and put them under a foil tent. Let carry over do it's job and rest for 15min.

Perfect medium rare when I cut them.

Taste was out of this world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today chicken wings. Coated with garlic + provence herbs rub, honey as binder.

45min indirect at 275F. Then direct for 10 mins at 350F. Pull the wings, dump in a bowl & pour over Sweet Baby Ray's chipotle bbq sauce. Quick toss & let rest.

For sides grilled zucchini coated with salt, pepper & gratinated with parmesan.

Excellent!

Today chicken wings. Coated with garlic + provence herbs rub, honey as binder.

45min indirect at 275F. Then direct for 10 mins at 350F. Pull the wings, dump in a bowl & pour over Sweet Baby Ray's chipotle bbq sauce. Quick toss & let rest.

For sides grilled zucchini coated with salt, pepper & gratinated with parmesan.

Excellent!

What a great spring day for bbq, sun shine and good food..

So today I did two different things. Had a leftover 2" pork neck steak from yesterday and 1lbs pork sirloin.

For the pork neck I tried something different. Rolled it in honey & coated with garlic rub and left to "marinate" for couple of hours.

The fired up the Big Joe and cranked up the heat to 265F. Half moon heat deflector in for low position & one half moon grate to high above it. Second half moon grate to low position, next to heat deflector. Threw in two chunks of apple wood and handful of JD whisky barrel chips. Put in the pork neck steak and left it there for two hours. After two hours flipped it and left it in for 1,5 hours. At 3,5h total I basted it with tennessee bourbon flavored bbq sauce and left to caramelize. After 15 minutes another flip & glaze the other side and leave for 15 minutes. At 4 hour markI pulled the steak & set resting wrapped in foil.

Second cook was pork tenderloin marinated in soy, honey, roasted sesame oil, garlic, fresh rosmary, salt and pepper.

This one I decided to do a reverse sear. So I set it next to the pork neck indirect at 265F. Turned it once and pulled same time as the pork neck, temping at 130F internal.

Then opened the vents on Big Joe pushing heatup to 500F and seared all sides of the tenderloin.

When I pulled the tenderloin for rest, it was reading 138F.

Both meats turned out great!

1c8afce1dbad3bf3d375c6211046454d.jpg50bc3b3059101239f81e8aa103184cdf.jpg

Bet someone thought the adventures have ended - you be wrong! [emoji23]

Adventures continue in many forms, wether Big Joe or my new Junior. Both excellent kamados!

Today weather turned nasty and spring turned into winterish weather, snowing & all. Regardless, I kept the coal burning. Tonights dinner was reverse seared tomahawk steak with garlic butter and potatoe wedges with garlic yoghurt dip sauce.

Only seasoning on the steak was salt and old whisky barrel chunks for smoke. Cooked the steak to IT of 125F, perfect medium rare.

166defbaa301448bdda32bcdd328f74d.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

No pictures this time, but last weekend was a "grilling galore" kind of weekend.

Started off friday with some chicken lollipops in the Joe Jr. Came out great with Porkmafia memphis mud for seasoning and apple wood for smoke.

For dinner smoked some well marbled sirloin steaks to 115F and then seared them with carbon steel pan on the grill. Used ghee on the pan with couple of garlic cloves and some fresh thyme. Came out perfect medium rare - I swear it was like out of sous vide! Flipped the steaks every 30 seconds, gave a real nice whole surface sear.

Saturday started off by smoking salmon on cedar planks for breakfast.

Come lunch time and second round of chicken lollipops was on order, together with some comp style chicken thighs. Trimmed these nice: took the skinss off and scraped out the extra fat from skins. Then seasoned the thighs and put the skins back on. Turned out real nice.

Dinner time was pork neck steaks, low&slow. Smoked them for 4 hours, basically treating them like ribs. Came out in nice break-apart tenderness.

Sunday was feeling a little tired having entertained people since friday afternoon, so kept things simple.. just did a boatload of sausages in the junior.

All in all, a great weekend of barbeque and good friends!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the adventures continue under a different tone this time.

Cooking has been great, no complaints there.

As I was cleaning my kamado last time, I noticed a crack in the firebox and also the firebox divider had been split in half. Took photos of the divider and tossed the parts in trash..

Doesn't stop grilling or affect it - no worries.

Filed a warranty claim to European distributor. They're currently out of stock for these parts, but will deliver as soon as they get parts.

Though a little bad news, this was somewhat expected and also why I paid for premium brand with premium warranty.

They'll take care of me and I'll be a happy camper!

Also tonight, my first ever sous vide attempt with anova and some chicken. The yardbird is in the bath atm and I'll grill it later today. Exciting times!

60F? That's T-shirt weather, my friend.

I knew it was midsummer time. My lodge was having a big celebration this weekend, but now we live five hours or so away so I wasn't able to make it.

yea, usually so. The photo was originally a bit of a show off for a friend who was spending his midsummer up north and reporting 35F temps.. had to pull his leg a bit [emoji23]

On that note, the deck is covered + glazed from one side so it was blocking the wind quite nicely. Combined with a decent sun shine, wasn't too bad...

Did some nice pork chops too.

aea7c5e5f652407a855d53a455573419.jpg
8e7a880da7c992533d64d583ed478969.jpg