My KJ adventures

jlindstrom

• 6 months later...

Well, it’s been a while since I last posted here. But fear not, the adventures have continued!

I’ve now had my Big Joe for a full year and it’s been used every week (except when travelling), usually 1-3 times per week. Everything’s been going smooth.

I’ve had one warranty claim, with the firebox divider splitting in half & also crack in the firebox. KJ took care of me like a champ. I was worried about that, since I live in Europe & have to deal through distributor. Still, first class service and the replacemet firebox was of the new style. I still have that in storage though, since I want to use the original one until full failure.

As you may have noticed in my other posts, I’ve also got a Joe Jr these days. It’s also used frequently for smaller cooks.

Yesterday I noticed the gasket on my Big Joe is falling apart. So ordered new gasket today and while I was at it, the Big Joetisserie was on sale... so ordered that as well :-D

New year & new adventures with a different spin lurk around the corner!

94922374-D7B6-4A65-9673-04E2938D6A3A.jpeg

BB873358-4F43-4AE5-A2BF-F74F9D480BB1.jpeg

F43819DA-DD3B-4B00-8145-D0BA27C9B051.jpeg

29DF8111-15E7-4D54-9ADB-E7C3861707B9.jpeg

4C17D025-0133-43ED-9990-90A852ADC2B7.jpeg

Great cooks. I enjoyed reading your adventures. I have had my KJ Classic for about 10 months, , but have not been as adventurous as you in my cooking. Mostly steaks, burgers, brats, and pork chops. Had a few failures with some roasts and baby back ribs. Wife seems to back off on my experimenting when I have a setback. She also is not as adventurous about what she will eat.

We did a couple of pizzas on the grill that came out good. I would also do a take and bake loaf of bread on the grill.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Golf Griller!

So I got my Big Joetisserie. The first cook with it was boneless leg of lamb. Came out pretty decent, but I’ve got long ways to go to master the art of rotisserie. Next thing lined up for that is boneless rib roast.

But before we get there, it’s a beautiful & crisp winter morning. What could be better for winter time grilling? It’s -8.5C or 16.7F outside. Luckily my Big Joe wasn’t frozen shut!

Managed to score a pretty darn decent chuck roast from local super market yesterday. After some online talks over facebook, I decided to go down the ”mini brisket” route with it. So coated it with local rub bran Poppamies & their slow food rub.

Big Joe is warming up as we speak & planning to use small hickory log for smoke.

F7C8477C-1E35-46FC-8498-05E63FB8B70A.jpeg

Turned out great. I foiled it mid-cook to avoid too crispy crust. Kept it a bit too long, so had to forget cutting slices. So end result was pulled beef.

Like so:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsbavec0j3jcqzf/chuck.MOV?dl=0

Also got some interesting things waiting for bbq.

Things on the list to try:

- deer ribs! Neighbor shot one and gave me the ribs :)

- spin some bird

- fish on the soapstone

- 4 bone rib roast (spin)

- my first brisket

- picanha (spin)

- spin pork neck

- beef short ribs

- spin spare ribs

So interesting times ahead!

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of Hot&Fast ribeye cooks lately. One on the Big Joe with soapstone & the other one on Junior with grates straight on top of the firebox.

Simpe cooks really: season, 450-500F, first 3 minutes per side and then additional 1 minute per side. Perfect medium & fantastic taste.

Here’s a few quick shots of the results.

95D65DE4-ECD4-416A-84F4-873FE52F91AF.jpeg

B962F934-E93D-4C17-9CD5-AC1B3246E98E.jpeg