B4 I Get Carried Away

OpenRange

Howdy guys & gals!!

I am new to all this, but am getting ready to pick up my first Kamado and have my first cook under my belt.  I want to be ready so in your opinion what are the first accessories/necessities I will want to make sure I have before I light up?  

From what I am reading here it is never ending either more cookers, more mods or more accessories.  What I do know is if I try to keep up with y'all I will need MORE MONEY!!!  :-D

Cheers and happy smokin !!

OR

Reel me in IF you think I have gone nuts, but against most comments I bought a few things in anticipation of my KJ's arrival.  By the way already had the KJ lump.

Items received or on order:

Instant read thermometer

KAB

Thermoworks Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer

I just couldn't help myself !!  BTW I will be humbly accepting all contributions or donations for the cause.

Cheers,

OR

@OpenRange

All you need to start with is an instant read digital thermometer.  Start with that.  Learn how to control the temperature in your grill by practicing with it.  Burn a couple bags of cheap charcoal in the beginning just to learn how to get the grill to a temp you want and stabilize it there.  It's not hard to do.  

After you have some cooks under your belt, let your needs determine what you buy next.

1 hour ago, OpenRange said:

Reel me in IF you think I have gone nuts, but against most comments I bought a few things in anticipation of my KJ's arrival.  By the way already had the KJ lump.

Instant read thermometer

KAB

I just couldn't help myself !!  BTW I will be humbly accepting all contributions or donations for the cause.

Cheers,

OR

I agree with the main necessity being an instant read thermometer.  And I humbly agree with both of your other purchases.  Are the KAB and Smoke necessary?  No, of course not.  But will they significantly enhance your cooking experience?  Most likely.  I have a KAB in all of my Kamado's now, and really think of them as "part of the grill" now.  You could've done really well with a basic Maverick 732 (simpler and more user friendly than the 733 or 735)... But you I do really like my Smoke system.  Super user friendly... Great quality probes and wires, and the lanyard remote is really awesome.   Do as John recommends, blow through a couple of cheap bags of lump, get a good feel for controlling your heat, and throw on some cheap meat to get started.  The Smoke will help you monitor your temps, but won't do the work for you.  You'll find that once you get to a certain target temp, it's very consistent in holding that temp with little to no intervention.  When it's 2 degrees outside, you'll love being able to glance down at the Smoke remote and see where you're at, from the comfort of the inside.  And, when the weather is good, you can do yard work, play with the kids, hang out at the pool, etc... While keeping an eye on the remote.  With the super simple alarms to set for min and max temps, you can take a nap... Inside or outside in your favorite shady hammock spot.  So while the Smoke (or other remote thermometers) don't technically enhance your cook or the enjoy,met of the cook, they DO allow you to enjoy other activities or relax away from the grill without feeling the constant need to babysit your grill.  The Kamado  doesn't need constant monitoring by you manually, and probably doesn't need monitored at all for temp stability and control.  But the peace of mind they give you is worth every penny (IMO).

9 hours ago, OpenRange said:

Instant read thermometer

KAB

Cheers,

OR

All good items. You didn't go wrong with any of those. KAB and Smoke not really needed but you'll be glad you bought those. I've had Mavericks  before now I use a Smoke. Way better quality all around and easier to use. Well worth the extra money compared to a Maverick. 

BTW I think you need to contribute to my knife purchase. I have a feeling my purchase is going to be a bit larger than your extras.  :shock:

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

All good items. You didn't go wrong with any of those. KAB and Smoke not really needed but you'll be glad you bought those. I've had Mavericks  before now I use a Smoke. Way better quality all around and easier to use. Well worth the extra money compared to a Maverick. 

BTW I think you need to contribute to my knife purchase. I have a feeling my purchase is going to be a bit larger than your extras.  :shock:

Yes I believe you are correct on your comparison of $$ spent on mine VS your upcoming knife purchase.  You saw my naïveté on the subject of knives. 

I am definitely behind the curve!

Cheers,

OR

Its so easy to get GAS with kamado cooking.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

It starts with an instant read thermometer.

Then maybe a second one for the grill.

And before you know it, you have flavor injectors, leather pit gloves, special containers for making/ holding spice rubs, really cool tongs, a collection of sauce mops and brushes, spray bottles, extra boxes of butcher paper and aluminum foil, containers of different types of wood, and those bear claw things for pulled pork,

10 hours ago, Judge said:

Its so easy to get GAS with kamado cooking.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

It starts with an instant read thermometer.

Then maybe a second one for the grill.

And before you know it, you have flavor injectors, leather pit gloves, special containers for making/ holding spice rubs, really cool tongs, a collection of sauce mops and brushes, spray bottles, extra boxes of butcher paper and aluminum foil, containers of different types of wood, and those bear claw things for pulled pork,

Skip the Bear Claw things and get Meateakes instead.... They're awesome!

https://www.amazon.com/Meatrake-Perfect-Brisket-Effortless-Shredding/dp/B004P5B81Q

oh wait, we were supposed to DIS-courage you from buying stuff.  Put Meatrakes on your wishlist.  

When family or friends ask what you want for any holiday gift, give them a few different specific items you want.  Just know your audience.. And price range they want to spend on you.  I think most people appreciate the guaidance and relief of having to worry about finding "the right" gift for you.  AND, it can save you from getting a bunch of junk that you'll never use.  I dunno how many Christmases and birthdays it took for me, getting stuff that people thought were really thoughtful gifts, but all stuff I didn't need, already had or never wanted to begin with.  Now I just need to find someone that wants to "gift" me a Karubecue.  

17 hours ago, JayhawkPharmer said:

Skip the Bear Claw things and get Meateakes instead.... They're awesome!

https://www.amazon.com/Meatrake-Perfect-Brisket-Effortless-Shredding/dp/B004P5B81Q

oh wait, we were supposed to DIS-courage you from buying stuff.  Put Meatrakes on your wishlist.  

When family or friends ask what you want for any holiday gift, give them a few different specific items you want.  Just know your audience.. And price range they want to spend on you.  I think most people appreciate the guaidance and relief of having to worry about finding "the right" gift for you.  AND, it can save you from getting a bunch of junk that you'll never use.  I dunno how many Christmases and birthdays it took for me, getting stuff that people thought were really thoughtful gifts, but all stuff I didn't need, already had or never wanted to begin with.  Now I just need to find someone that wants to "gift" me a Karubecue.  

Ii am still waiting for someone to buy and use the Karubecue who is a member here. It is only a matter of time. LOL It sounds awesome as long as one has the time to spend tending it.

4 hours ago, Marty said:

Ii am still waiting for someone to buy and use the Karubecue who is a member here. It is only a matter of time. LOL It sounds awesome as long as one has the time to spend tending it.

Couple people here them.  There's a guy on another site that has posted an epic log of cooks over the last year or two...  Pretty cool site... "Letstalkbbq.com"--- I haven't joined the, bug seems like some good people with some good extinct and info.  Not much Kamado talk, but tons of every other type of outdoor cooking device.