Sign in to follow this  
canadiangriller

30 day dry aged New York strip the finished product

The very idea of 'dry aged' confuses me.  I thought we were supposed to be seeking juicy, moist meat when served.  How can we achieve that if we dry it out first?  Someone set me straight, here.

On 4/13/2017 at 5:59 PM, mikewest said:

The very idea of 'dry aged' confuses me.  I thought we were supposed to be seeking juicy, moist meat when served.  How can we achieve that if we dry it out first?  Someone set me straight, here.

As it ages the natural enzymes act as a meat tenderizer of sorts. It's not dried out so much as tenderized and meatier tasting. But, yeah, some moisture has left. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Lydia
      Hi Aussie’s! If you’ve been skirting around the idea of getting a sous vide device, now is the time you should think of biting the bullet. Anova is on sale for $99 AUD https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=paid+social&utm_campaign_name=Conversions&utm_adset_name=Australia&utm_placement=Facebook_Mobile_Feed&utm_campaign_id=6103227441440&utm_ad_name=Price+You'll+<3+%3A%3A+Black+Image%3A%3A+%2499+AUD+CLEARANCE&utm_ad_id=6103273614040

• By LargeRedJoe
      I'm not into sous vide (yet) but I found this technique to be an interesting way to tackle an old standard. 

• By KamadoJosephine
      HEYYYYYY-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, KamadoJoooooo is baaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I've had a few reds, so I'm gonna make an extra effort to keep this one clean for the more delicate among us 

So a few months ago, I saw some big, fat steaks on sale at the local Woolies (for you seppo's, think Ralphs, etc).  Bought em, vac sealed em, froze em, and forgot about em...
      Until the weekend.
      Sunday night, threw one in the Sous Vide at 50C, and let it sit.

FOR 2 DAYS!!!!!

Yep, I have no fear.   2 Days.   Like a boss.

It came out, looking like this:

mmmmmm, who wouldn't want a piece of this...?

Whack on some olive oil, salt and pepper:

and chuck the bugger onto a 480C hot KJ:

1 sneaky 90 degree rotate late, I flipped it, and oooh yeaaaahhh babyyyyy:

2nd side done, back on the plate, back inside.  Drool on the floor was a slip hazard:

Here's a cross-section, specifically cut for y'all:

This dirt-cheap hunk of meat was the best steak I've had in a long time.  All hail the sous vide and the brutal smokey heat of my round red friend.  It was a melt-in-the-mouth steak, and I'm sitting here - fat, dumb and happy with a gutfull of steak and wine and joy 

Happy 2018!!!!
    • By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      Hi all,

I recently acquired a PicoBrew Pico Pro electric brewing device to review on my YouTube channel (The Pico Pro: A Hands-On Review) and discovered that it has a sous vide mode built-in.  I couldn't resist giving it a try as you can see in the video below.  Turned out perfectly medium rare and very juicy.  I just wish it had the charcoal flavor it was lacking.

• By KamadoJosephine
      I did brisket once before, and it turned out great.  Great, if you were in the mood for some beef jerky, that is...

Decided to follow a recipe I'd found on Serious Eats (which is one of my go-to sites for Sousing and Videing):
      http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html

Got a slab of brisket from my butcher.  In hindsight, it probably had a bit too much of the fat trimmed off it.  Cut it in half so it would fit into the vac bags (and also be size-appropriate for 4 people)

Rubbed it down with 50/50 salt & pepper mix.  Was listening to Doug Stanhope impersonating Bill Burr at the time, hence the Baaahhstaaawn "PEPPAAAAAHHH" in the thread title  

Vac sealed it, with the rub on it.

Into the sous vide for 36 hours at 155F, and then into the fridge for 3 days.

Out of the fridge ,coming up to room temp - Mmmm, appetising!!!

Pulled it out of the bag, patted down to remove excess moisture.  Recipe called for more rub, but I decided against it.  Might do it next time to get a better bark...

Threw it onto the grill at 300F (grill temp, as measured by my trusty Thermowerx Smoke).  Internal probe alarm set for 185F.  Threw in some spuds after 1 hour.  Alarm went off after about 2:15, and it went to 190F after 2:30.  Decided it was time to pull the bugger off and see how we went...

At this point, I was a giddy as a roofied cheerleader and forgot to take pics...  My most humble apologies...
      The meat was succulent - pulling apart with a fork and the most juicy slab of beefy goodness I've ever tasted.

The only small disappointment was the relatively thin and/or nonexistent bark.  The outside skin was tasty, and the bark-ish bits were very noice.

Made a Bourbon Whiskey sauce to go with it.  Not overly sweet, with a nice chili kick courtesy of some ghost pepper sauce.

Will definitely be doing the other half some time in the next 2 weeks, and will post the update in this thread.