kamadokirby

KJ Classic - Best Smashburger setup?

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice on which accessories to buy for doing smash burgers.

I have an older Kamado Joe Classic without the divide and conquer setup.

1. Cast Iron Griddle / Skillet / Pizza stone?

2. GrillGrates ?

3. Heavy Duty Spatula / Turner ?

Thanks!

Kirby

Half moon CI plate with a decent solid spatula will do it. When I say "solid" spatula, I'm talkin one with no holes in the blade and a study handle. You'll need something that can withstand the force of you pressing down on the handle and smashing the burger. A good, straight, edge you can sharpen is a plus; that will help you scrape them up with ease and make cleanup a breeze. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

Half moon CI plate with a decent solid spatula will do it. When I say "solid" spatula, I'm talkin one with no holes in the blade and a study handle. You'll need something that can withstand the force of you pressing down on the handle and smashing the burger. A good, straight, edge you can sharpen is a plus; that will help you scrape them up with ease and make cleanup a breeze. 

^^^^ Like Cue says. That's how I do it so it must be right :rofl:

+1 to the solid spatula, a good scraper (I use a bench scraper) and the parchment assist

Kenji uses a flat drywall or concrete trowel to smash. The one that is a flat rectangle with the handle on top. That would get all the pressure directly over the patty. Pretty inexpensive, too. If I didn't have a nice spatula, I'd consider picking up a trowel.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By odamaK
      I am looking for and original Kamado Joe Big Joe rolling stand or cart that came with the big joe. Looking to take my stand-alone Joe and put it into a cart. I am located in Canada, in the GTA in Ontario, please contact me if you have one you are willing to part with 

Thank you
    • By Kentuckyboy76
      Hello all, 

Just picked up a Kamado Grill to replace my old gas grill. Dived right in and did a 8 pound brisket this weekend. Looking forward to learning more!

• By Hulk
      Hey gang, I recently received my iKamand, and it works great.  I’m not able to find anyone selling extra probes for the unit for slot 2 and 3.  Has anyone had any luck?

Also, while I’m on the topic of iKamand, has anyone had success getting a DC to USB setup to work, so a cord doesn’t have to be drug across the patio?  The idea would be to use it with a usb battery back or something similar.

I left some pics to get your mouths watering while I wait for a response.

• By Donnie
      I need your help! I have been doing tons of research and I am down to either the XL Big Green Egg for $1,024 at my local dealer or the Kamado Joe Big Joe for $1,800. I know I would need to spend another $500 ish dollars for accessories for the BGE but it is still overall cheaper. The main thing I like about the Kamado Joe is the upgraded gasket, it seems like such a pain to worry about the felt gasket (maybe it's not that bad). The other features of the Kamado Joe are nice, but not that important to me like the ash tray and the air lift dome. I would love to hear your thought from both sides to try and help me decide. I really appreciate your help as I am excited to replace my pellet smoker and finally play with real fire! 
    • By AuMonkeyBoy
      Pecan top and oak everything else besides the drawers. Had some oak 4x4s that I cut down for the frame