Jack.

Disappointing Costco Prime Steaks

I cooked 2 Costco USDA Prime NY Strip steaks on Sunday and was VERY disappointed in the texture of the meat.  These were 2" Prime NY Strips, beautifully marbled, seasoned only with sea salt, cooked sous vide @ 125* for 1 hour, then quick seared on a 500* KJ Jr. When they came off the grill they looked absolutely perfect.

That's where the "perfect" ended.  When we tasted them, the texture was mealy and felt processed.  The taste was OK, but we really felt as if we were eating meat that had been machine tenderized.  I remembered a recent thread here where someone mentioned that Costco acknowledged running even its Prime cuts through a machine jacquard, but I had never experienced such pronounced and obvious effects.  Plus there were no visible punctures in the surface of the meat.

These were expensive steaks--2 cost about $37, so I went to Costco to complain.  The Manager confirmed that Costco runs all of its NY Strip, Ribeye, and Sirloin pre-cut steaks through a mechanized tenderizer and that "Sometimes it has an undesirable result especially on Prime cuts."  He did not offer a refund.  I asked if there were any cuts which were not machine tenderized and he said he "thought" the cryovacced primal ribeyes, strips and tenderloins were not.

This was my first negative experience with any Costco food product.  But, I think in the future I'll be buying my pre-cut steaks elsewhere. 

Live and learn.

At my local Costco the tenderloin steaks are the only option for steaks that are not mechanically tenderized. The packaging label does indicate whether or not the meat is mechanically tenderized. 

We typically buy a whole tenderloin, cut it into steaks, vacuum pack and freeze.

If I'm looking for a nice NY Strip or ribeyes, I go to a local butcher.

Cheers

Kirby

Thats to bad.. If you like us,  you can't afford to throw away money. I know ckreef will go to a Publix for their meats. Big cryopacs,  that is bone in. And we never buy meat that has the water and salt solution.Got some dry age steaks ckreef done in the freezer.. Looking forward to eating them. 

Sorry to read this Jack. I don't mind spending good money for good quality but it really irritates me when I spend it and not get the quality I am supposedly paying for. I am surprised the manager didn't offer you a refund or other sort of compensation. Especially since this did not seem much of a surprise to him. 

28 minutes ago, King19 said:

Also isn't there an issue with tenderize d beef and bacteria if you don't cook to 160?

I googled and you are correct and that disclaimer was to be available on all mechanically tenderized meats as of January 2016.  

This is all new to me, but I drink straight from the outside faucet sometimes even with the hose hooked up.  I have also been seen / accused allegedly of running with scissors though I DO always deny that!

Cheers,

OR

Interesting. My local Costco Prime purchases have been top shelf, and I could not be happier. Not sure how needle tenderizing could end up with the results you report--mealy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an aside, I have both a Sam's Club and a Costco membership, and Costco winds hands down on quality/taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, King19 said:

Also isn't there an issue with tenderize d beef and bacteria if you don't cook to 160?

Yes, there is risk, if bacteria on outside of meat needle tenderizing distributes throughout all the meat.    I will only cook steak to medium rare from steak I cut myself from whole primal cut.    The whole primal cuts are not tenderized at Costco.    Even the roasts get needle tenderized. 

This should be their new motto:

Costco - steaks for people who don't know how to cook steaks. 

I wonder if the SV along with the tenderizer is what did that. Most customers are just putting them straight on the grill. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I wonder if the SV along with the tenderizer is what did that. Most customers are just putting them straight on the grill. 

good question.  

i joined a fb a fb group to learn about sv from users and texture comes up in a lot of convos

In speaking with the butcher at Costco because  of such high volumes of meat Costco sells they have very little age on there steaks often it is only 7-10 days from the time the animal was slaughtered this includes there prime steaks  so  in order for Costco to have any kind of quality it has to be tenderized as  they just to have the time for the meat to tenderize properly.