Disappointing Costco Prime Steaks

Jack.

19 hours ago, jackjumper101 said:

He did not offer a refund.

Im supersized because with their return policy he should of, My daughter works for Costco and she works in the returns dept. and you wouldn't believe what she see's,  For instants a customer returned a half eaten rack of ribs and he said they were dry, and they refunded them

5 minutes ago, JaxxQ said:

Im supersized because with their return policy he should of, My daughter works for Costco and she works in the returns dept. and you wouldn't believe what she see's,  For instants a customer returned a half eaten rack of ribs and he said they were dry, and they refunded them

LOL Jaxxq.

20 minutes ago, captio2000 said:

Interesting. I guess this explains why we've been disappointed in Costco NY Strip steaks. We DO love their filets which we grill wrapped in bacon.

I bought some strips a few weeks back and ended up freezing them for later. I haven't had their strips yet, so I'm interested to see how they come out. I was also planning a SV and sear.

We bought some Choice filets a while back and the package we got looked better than the Prime filets they had out. They were fantastic. One of the best steaks we had ever eaten. We've looked every trip since then and haven't found any that looked nearly as good (they look fine, but now we feel like it would be a step backwards and haven't picked any up lol)

25 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

I bought some strips a few weeks back and ended up freezing them for later. I haven't had their strips yet, so I'm interested to see how they come out. I was also planning a SV and sear.

I really think it's the SV combined with the machine tenderizing. Over tenderized which caused a complete breakdown of the meat tissue making for a really yucky texture. 

You should try one SV with sear and one straight grilling. That way you could prove my theory or not. 

1 minute ago, ckreef said:

I really think it's the SV combined with the machine tenderizing. Over tenderized which caused a complete breakdown of the meat tissue making for a really yucky texture. 

You should try one SV with sear and one straight grilling. That way you could prove my theory or not. 

If my steaks had been in the SV bath for a long period of time I might agree.  These 2" steaks were in 125* water for only 1 hour. 

Consumer Reports has an article about how mechanically tenderized  meat can be dangerous because it can drive pathogens form the exterior to the interior that will not reach killing temperatures for the correct amount of time.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/06/has-your-steak-been-mechanically-tenderized/index.htm

USDA recommends cooking a needled steak to 160 - no thanks.

That's where sousvide would come in handy. Hold the steak at 130 for long enough and you're good to go, while keeping it on the rare side.

Consumer Reports has an article about how mechanically tenderized  meat can be dangerous because it can drive pathogens form the exterior to the interior that will not reach killing temperatures for the correct amount of time.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/06/has-your-steak-been-mechanically-tenderized/index.htm

USDA recommends cooking a needled steak to 160 - no thanks.
That's where sousvide would come in handy. Hold the steak at 130 for long enough and you're good to go, while keeping it on the rare side.

I am, by nature a food safety nut, but I really think the problem is not needling ONE steak. If you were to do this at home the risk of that particular steak having harmful bacteria on the surface is extremely low. Same with grinding your own meat. The problem is when you start stabbing every steak you are then creating a greater risk, because they are not cleaning the needles between steaks, and the number of steaks they are selling is tremendous.

All that aside, I am one that wants the option of what I want done to the meat. If I want to tenderize it, then I want to be the one to do it. If not, I want that option also.

Dang Jack... Too spend the extra money on prime meat , and take the time and energy to treat and cook said prime beef correctly... And then, have it get mealy.... Just sucks!!! I haven't bought any meat from Costco yet... And might not, after reading about your bad experience...

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting an old thread... I finally had a chance to cook my Costco NY Strip steaks. They were choice.

I SV them at 137 for an hour, then put them on the searing grate for 1 minute per side, flippinf every 30 seconds. They came out great. We didn't notice any odd textures. 

Maybe, like the manager said, it's more pronounced on Prime cuts.

Interesting thread.  I sprung for a 4pk of CostCo prime strips a month ago, did 2 on the grill and froze the other 2, cooked those sous vide a couple weeks later.  I was pretty impressed with the quality, both ways (sous vide was better).

I had no idea CostCo was tenderizing, my jaccard leaves bigger marks!