Sign in to follow this  
Roberto_baggio7

New at dry aging. Does it look right?

Hi guys, I built myself a small dry aging fridge with fans and I have a rib roast in there for 21 days. Can you tell if my meat looks right? There is a lot of clear water in my salt pan...is that normal? I also don't notice a big shrink. Humidity is at 80. 

image.jpg

They look a bit red and moist on the outside but that could be your pictures. As for the salt pan don't know haven't ever used one. The clear liquid is probably the salt melting due to the humidity. The meat itself shouldn't be dripping. After the first week there shouldn't be any smell. 

After 21 days a hard crust should have formed. (The outside layer of the meat dried out). Here is my latest pulled out after 28 days. It looked about the same on day 21. Notice the end cap is really hard. 

DAYa.jpg

If it was me I would do away with the salt pan. Let the humidity come down a little and let it ride. As long as your temperature has been right the whole time there shouldn't be any problems. 

Yours definitely looks like it has more crust. I'll get rid of the salt pan if it's not needed. My temperature is on average 39 degrees. The reason I say average is that it's a self defrosting dridge so its literally changing temperature and fluctuation up and down every 10 seconds. Basically It goes from 32 degrees to 44 and then back down to 32 and all that happens constantly with the cycle lasting a couple of minutes. Since its a constant fluctuation I just calculate the average that the meat should be at which is 39-40 and that's what my average is. 

Yours definitely looks like it has more crust. I'll get rid of the salt pan if it's not needed. My temperature is on average 39 degrees. The reason I say average is that it's a self defrosting dridge so its literally changing temperature and fluctuation up and down every 10 seconds. Basically It goes from 32 degrees to 44 and then back down to 32 and all that happens constantly with the cycle lasting a couple of minutes. Since its a constant fluctuation I just calculate the average that the meat should be at which is 39-40 and that's what my average is. 

I I just out the salt...

here are better pictures with and without flash. What do you think?

the outside is hard but if I press on the meat it feels soft inside

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Alright. 30 days later and I start cutting it up. The meat has an intense odour...not sure if that's normal but it looks nice. The piece of meat was a rib roast and the bone was separated from the meat. As you can see in the picture, it looks like there's some rot by the bone...is this normal? Do you think it's safe to eat this?!? The meat itself looks nice. 

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, Roberto_baggio7 said:

Alright. 30 days later and I start cutting it up. The meat has an intense odour...not sure if that's normal but it looks nice. The piece of meat was a rib roast and the bone was separated from the meat. As you can see in the picture, it looks like there's some rot by the bone...is this normal? Do you think it's safe to eat this?!? The meat itself looks nice. 

image.jpg

Send it my way I'll test it and if you don't hear from me it killed me. 

On a serious note cut off any crust areas and eat the yummy middle steaks.