Good Knives

cday23

Eli - America's test kitchen chose that specific sharpener as the best product of it's type on the market! There is a YouTube video on how and why they chose it. Unfortunately I can't find it right now. :(

CC I also watch ATK and CC and have made quite a few of their recipes and 97% of the time I am absolutely thrilled with the results. IMO they are the real deal.

If you hit the link to Amazon listed it says in stock. That $150 price can be hard to accept. Yes there is intellectual property involved but it probably cost $40 to make. When you compare it to your knife cost it almost seems better to just buy new knives when they get dull.

I bought mine and have been thrilled with the results of this sharpener. The annoying thing is after buying it I found it in a thrift store for $8.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Toe, how long do the victorinox knives stay sharp? Everything Ive read says to get a forged knife not a stamped one. Also was wandering how you liked the Fibrox handle.

Generally speaking, yes, forged is better than stamped. But that doesn't take into account other variables like the type of steel being used, and any other processes being used like heat treatment. I think Victorinox stamped knives are better than a lot of forged knives, but not all. I think 'Fibrox' is just a type of nylon, but it has a 'grippy' textured surface that I kinda like.

They're not quite top tier knives, but in terms of 'bang for your buck', they're probably the best value out there. Generally speaking, I'd only recommend spending more if you're planning to get serious about learning to properly sharpen them and use a steel (which is not for sharpening).

If you're looking for great sharpening on the cheap, I highly recommend the system I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS- ... +sharpener

Make sure you have some crappy knives to practice on because it does take a small learning curve to use properly, but the edge it creates is unbelievable. And you can use it on garden tools and anything that needs an edge, really.

Thanks for the quick reply Toe. I have just one more question now to anyone out there. I think I have narrowed it down to two knives right now. A friend of mine is going to Le Cordon Cooking School and said they use Mercer knives and they are very sharp and hold an edge. Not sure which one they use but the Genesis line is forged and the prices are comparable to the Victorinox which are stamped. Has anyone had or used the Mercer Genesis collection or even the Mercer Millenia which is there stamped version and cheaper than the Victorinox. I found a website called http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ that I think has pretty good prices. Anyone know of another site with good prices?

We purchased this set from Sanelli a couple years ago, couldn't be happier! http://www.costco.ca//.product.10328905 ... nt=Default

I agree with the comment that, for 90% of the time, you can get by with 2-3 knives. A good chef / Santoku with a good pairing knife is key.

My parents just purchased a set of Global knives, they seem to like it so far but I haven't had a chance to cook with them for more than a couple of minutes..

I have to agree on the Victorinox knives great knives for the money.. I have a handful of the pairing as well as 3 boning for general use and processing deer.. I may look into their chefs knife as I have a Rada Cooks Utility right now..

As far as sharpeners go I use a Lansky kit and it works great.. Recently picked up a Rada knife sharpener which is more like a butchers steel for in between sharpening and am impressed with it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

All great replies. It makes me chuckle because I have knives flying out my ears after 40 years in the food business.

Knives in the knife block currently; 8 & 10 " chef (rocker motion guy), 9" Filet, 6" Boner, 8" Utility (serrated), and carving. I keep a dozen paring knives in the drawer like silverware for the Kids. I have some high end stuff but I would get the heebee geebees when the wife and kids would use them. So I went to the restaurant supply store and bought some Victorinox knives. Thumbs up for value. Even the Dexter knives are good.

I lick my knives on the steel a couple times every time.....

My 2 cents most knives are good, just know how to keep them sharp.

I hate to admit this but, I'm too old to be embarrassed anymore. Someone gave me a ginzu knife (as seen on TV) about 15 years ago as a gift. It's still in the block. It's my go to bread knife. Good luck with your search

Thanks Toe & Remoh.

I ordered a Victorinox 8"Chef's & 4" pairing. Looking forward to getting them in.

I'm leaving the old knives in the block, but keeping the new ones tucked away in small drawer that nobody uses but me. Hopefully they'll remain sharp for a while. I'm trying to decide on how I'll sharpen them when the time comes.

Thanks Toe & Remoh.

I ordered a Victorinox 8"Chef's & 4" pairing. Looking forward to getting them in.

I'm leaving the old knives in the block, but keeping this tucked away in small drawer that nobody uses but me. Hopefully they'll remain sharp for a while. I'm trying to decide on how I'll sharpen them when the time comes.

Good choice, you will be happy. Everyone has a different way to sharpen knives. When I reach for a knife I always hit it on a steel "Steel", it's just my habit. If you are going to be a periodic style sharpener I could suggest a "Diamond" steel or an electric sharpener i.e, cusinart. Most chefs would frown on an electric sharpener but it's just an ego thing. I'm sure there is a video on youtube on how to use a steel. Keep your knives sharp, most knife accidents happen with dull knives.

Thanks Toe & Remoh.

I'm leaving the old knives in the block, but keeping this tucked away in small drawer that nobody uses but me. Hopefully they'll remain sharp for a while. I'm trying to decide on how I'll sharpen them when the time comes.

Good choice, you will be happy. Everyone has a different way to sharpen knives. When I reach for a knife I always hit it on a steel "Steel", it's just my habit. If you are going to be a periodic style sharpener I could suggest a "Diamond" steel or an electric sharpener i.e, cusinart. Most chefs would frown on an electric sharpener but it's just an ego thing. I'm sure there is a video on youtube on how to use a steel. Keep your knives sharp, most knife accidents happen with dull knives.

I've seen this play out to be true too many times: at work, at home, dressing out game and etc.

That electric Chef's Choice is looking like a strong contender.

Edit: the 8" chef's knife arrived today. The edge is flawless and extremely sharp. Handle isn't objectionable and actually is fairly decent.