Smoke Smell In Towels After Wrap

I have noticed it takes 5-6 washes to get the smoke smell out of towels that I use to wrap butts and briskets.

These are kinda thick premium towels.

Using Tide Pods and a fabric softener. That's not working very well. Have tried using Apple Cider Vinegar and Oxi Clean with no success.

I use butcher paper so some of the juice and moisture makes it's way to the towels more so than someone using foil.

How to get smoke smell out? What do you use?

Would it be better to just pick out towels just for wrapping meat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, coldfusion said:

I have noticed it takes 5-6 washes to get the smoke smell out of towels that I use to wrap butts and briskets.

These are kinda thick premium towels.

Using Tide Pods and a fabric softener. That's not working very well. Have tried using Apple Cider Vinegar and Oxi Clean with no success.

I use butcher paper so some of the juice and moisture makes it's way to the towels more so than someone using foil.

How to get smoke smell out? What do you use?

Would it be better to just pick out towels just for wrapping meat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea don't use the good shower towels - LOL 

Just an old BBQ towel will work. Oh wait I think you just made an old BBQ towel. Sort of like me cutting one of Mrs skreef's nice hand towels drying my new knives. It's now my knife towel. 

I don't see any mention of hot water. I also wrap in butcher paper and usually place two very thick towels under and two on top of the brisket- probably overkill. Use either Tide or Arm and Hammer detergent, bleach (because they are white), fabric softener sheets in the dryer (though the smell is long gone by then) and I have never had an issue with them smelling after the wash. No vinegar needed in my case. Though I would typically try white vinegar.

Now the stains from the brisket are another matter... lol

How about thinking about this the other way around?  I personally don't like perfumey detergents at all and don't use fabric softeners and dryer sheets because of that. Has anyone had a brisket or butt tainted by the smells of their towels?  Dryer sheets almost make me nauseous with how potent they are. I can't bear the thought of that mingled with smoked meat. 

As for the original question I would definitely have dedicated gear (towels) for this purpose. Then not so much a big deal if you can't overcome the smells and maybe not such a bad thing?  Would rather have a latent smoke smell than some sort of lavender mesquite hybrid. :) 

Here in Texas when you go to buy laundry detergent or dryer sheets "Smoked Meat" is one of the options along with Mountain Laurel and LIlly Field.  :-D

May not have been born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could!

Cheers,

OR

10 hours ago, Cagno said:

Why don't you add a layer of foil before wrapping with towels?

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

5 hours ago, UTVol said:

+1.  I've never had this issue.

The reason I don't use foil is that it defeats the purpose of using butcher paper- which breathes as opposed to foil - which steams.