• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
newb24

Duluth Forge Kamado Grill

27 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, BC2 said:

You should be lasting much more than two hours. How much charcoal have you been loading? On that rig you should probably be filling it passed the holes around the sides of the firebox. Basically, fill it to just a few inches below where your deflector will rest.

Agree with BC2.  After reading through your posted I would be inclined to pull the thermometer out and make sure its correct.  Boil some water on the stove and put it in, you should be around 212 give or take for your elevation.  I think you have some leaks causing the coal burn or you're not loading enough in.  With leaks (gasket is non existent at this point) my KJ will run at 275 almost completely shut down for a low and slow to give you some perspective.

OK, so I think I see my problem, I was only filling it up to the first set of holes.

The Vision brand lump was a huge improvement over the Home Depot brand, there was some really nice sized pieces in that bag and I layered in the big ones on the bottom and then the rest medium sized up pretty full

Got it up to 250 and let it settle for 30 minutes and then put on a tri-tip from Sam's.   Turned out perfect in 2 hours flat.  I cranked everything open an reverse seared it.   I cooled it back down and put some italian sausage on the grill for an hour and it came out great as well. 

The new cooking rack system did awesome

Thanks to everyone for helping me out, next project is to tackle the new gasket material and play with the bottom vent and see what I can do about that.

I'm also getting a nice stainless stand made at work, wifey doesn't want a big table to I'll get it up off the ground some more.

No sign of the new handle yet, really is a large pain without one.  I dropped the lid from pretty far up today, thought for sure it would snap the top, but it didn't.

photos to come.

20 minutes ago, GLOCKer said:

Yeah, load her up with lump!!!!

+1...Always load her up for every cook.

So I closed everything up and let it snuff itself out, had a nice little pile of lump left over....cleaned it all up and it is ready for next time.

Thanks again to everyone....

Still waiting on that darn handle....come on Factory Buys Direct, keep the good karma going.

I think some wings are in order for my next attempt.

Awesome! I'm glad you figured it out. Have fun with your kamado!

Well Factory Direct did what they said and sent the handle.  I took a bit of a leap of faith with them and the Duluth Brand but I can say so far so good and they delivered on everything so far.

I'm really happy to make the switch from gas to Kamado style cooking!

I'll get some photos once I get my stand, change out the gaskets and put on the handle

35 minutes ago, newb24 said:

Well Factory Direct did what they said and sent the handle.  I took a bit of a leap of faith with them and the Duluth Brand but I can say so far so good and they delivered on everything so far.

That's good! Many cooks to come with that Kamado.

Garvin

So I figured I would give a 2 month update.....

I have used it as a grill several times over the last 2 months to cook some chicken and some steaks...

It takes me about 25 minutes to get it up to full grilling heat but it is well worth the time compared to gas grills as the taste is out of this world.

Yesterday I went for another pork shoulder and put it through the paces.   I got it all set up the night before with lump charcoal, prepped the shoulder, figured out how to use my maverick thermometer and woke up at 4:00 a.m.  by 5:00 a.m, had the temperature set, shoulder on and maverick in the house monitoring the temperature for me as I went back to bed for a couple of hours.

The only thing I did throughout the entire cook was fill up the water/drip pan once, other than that and 12 hours later, it was done.  I did hit quite a long stall at the 170 mark but let is chug through it without adding foil or anything and it finally burst through and finished up.  Let it sit wrapped up in the cooler for 2 hours and it fell apart.

I must say I'm super happy with the purchase and amazed at how well it works.  The temperature did fluctuate a few times throughout the day, from 225 through 250 but it really hovered at 235 for a majority of the cook.  I was going to change out the top vent and get a BBQ Guru but after this last cook, I don't see a need to change a thing.  I love the Vision brand lump charcoal from Sam's, it works very well for me.

Next step is to build something to get it to a more manageable height, it is sitting way too low.

Thanks for all the advice and comments to get me where I am.  

Tried to upload some photos but it won't let me.....nothing special, but come on now, what is a post without photos!

You could make a dry stacked cement block base with a paver top for fast and cheap for now. You also can make a 2x4 table for cheap and quick. I would have a very tough time cooking at the height that you show. i might get stuck down there LOL.

BURGER MEISTER and Big Dawg like this

OK, I shouldn't have come on here and bragged.   Finally was an awesome weekend here in the Midwest.   After my stupendous 12 hour cook, I closed everything up and forgot about it.  No rain in sight so i just left it alone uncovered.

Went to cut the grass the next day and was going to clean up the grates and ash and low and behold, the kamado is 150 degrees.

ugh....everything was closed up and tight and in all previous attempts the fire snuffed out fine.   I taped some aluminum foal over the top and shoved some foil in the bottom vent and closed it in there and it finally snuffed out.

So, I'm thinking I need to put some new felt around the lower vent and I may need to invest in a different top vent.

Problem is, the hole in the top is huge....

ID: 6.25"

OD (with felt): 7.5"

tall:  1"

Width of lip(without felt): .5"

Any ideas on getting an upgraded top cap or any other way to seal it up?