Making my Magnetic Knife Bars

Ben S

I am in the process of making magnetic knife bars for my collection.  @John Setzler Inspired this project, thank you sir.  

For my birthday the wife took the kids and gave me time to clean my workshop and play down here.  I picked up a 24 inch piece of maple from HD and has some mahogany from another project.  

First I used forstner bits to remove material before routing. The waste from the forstner bits is larger pieces and does not coat the shop with a fine coat of dust.  

Then I used a 3/4 inch router bit to finish off the magnetic track.  I have also added the wall hanging hardware.  

Now I must clean up from the dust collection bag breaking(shop vac), sand the wood, and mount the magnets with epoxy.  Hopefully tomorrow I will wipe the wood down with mineral oil and hang them.  

Wife prefers the mahogany over the maple.  

If I was doing this more often I would build jigs and use the router for everything.  While these will look great hanging on the wall, I and only I know the backs look hacked.  

Hardware links to to be provided later. 

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

@Mewantkj really good start. 

So how thick is the material left behind?  On mine it was 3/32" wood covered with 3/32" felt. I used rectangular rare Earth magnets (neodym?) that were 1/2" W x 2" L.  They were rated at 16 lbs force and when 2 accidentally snapped together it was really, really hard to get them back apart. I was planning one long row with them end to end. It held the knives but not good enough for my liking. I ended up using two rows about 2" apart. 

Not sure if you have the magnets yet but it definitely takes a good amount of magnetic force to hold the knives. 

16 minutes ago, ckreef said:

@Mewantkj really good start. 

So how thick is the material left behind?  On mine it was 3/32" wood covered with 3/32" felt. I used rectangular rare Earth magnets (neodym?) that were 1/2" W x 2" L.  They were rated at 16 lbs force and when 2 accidentally snapped together it was really, really hard to get them back apart. I was planning one long row with them end to end. It held the knives but not good enough for my liking. I ended up using two rows about 2" apart. 

Not sure if you have the magnets yet but it definitely takes a good amount of magnetic force to hold the knives. 

his last pic shows the magnets hanging.

8 minutes ago, ckreef said:

That's funny - I thought it was some strange something. 

@Mewantkj did you hold a couple under there with your fingers to see what happens? 

I looked at various online instructions and saw what the pull force of the magnets were.  These are 1/2 x 1/8 in discs with a pull force of about 6-8 lbs. I plan on running a line of them along the grove alternating the polarity.

I have about 1/16-1/8 inch of wood between the magnets and the knife.  I have laid the magnets in with my heaviest knife on the other side, they hold it up no problem.  

I am out out at Home Depot now getting more sandpaper to finish this off. 

Parts

Keyhole hanger

http://www.woodworkingparts.com/keyhole-hanger/

Magnets 

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=119

I strongly advise ordering extra magnets, I had several magnets snap to double. I would also advice using epoxy with a longer work time. I used 5 minute epoxy, while I was rushing to get the magnets in, longer working time would have been nice. 

My last debate is the peice maple... do I order magnets for it and finish it off? Wife doesn't want it in the kitchen. It could make for good overflow knife storage (first world problems). 

17 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

I strongly advise ordering extra magnets, I had several magnets snap to double. I would also advice using epoxy with a longer work time. I used 5 minute epoxy, while I was rushing to get the magnets in, longer working time would have been nice. 

Got a good laugh out of that first sentence. A couple of mine snapped together. Took quite  a few cuss words to get them apart. Was only able to because of their rectangular shape and it wasn't easy. 

I ended up using 30 minute epoxy. 

1 minute ago, ckreef said:

Got a good laugh out of that first sentence. A couple of mine snapped together. Took quite  a few cuss words to get them apart. Was only able to because of their rectangular shape and it wasn't easy. 

I ended up using 30 minute epoxy. 

5 minute epoxy, gloves, and screwdriver... I only have 4-5 doubles on both bars.  All the magnets shipped cost about $25. 

19 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Looks really good but I think you could squeeze a couple of more in B)

I pulled everything out of the drawer except for the cleaver.  I will fix that and add the cleaver.  

I have ave my heart set on a gyuto or similar all purpose knife with a Japanese wa handle. I really like the balance point of these knives without the full tang combined with the light handle. 

My next project might be to rehandle my cheap Japanese knives with a homemade octagonal handle. 

IMG_2455.JPG

Better?