Vision pro c $329 home depot floor model

Hi everyone. I was at home depot and spotted a vision C marked down to $469. It was a floor model and the last they had in stock. The top vent was broke and didn't have the interior 2x grill grate. I asked about lower pricing.  The manager came over and said they had ordered all the replacement parts for it and they would be in soon. I asked what the best they could do is and they said $100 off. I asked them to do better and they said $150 off. I agreed. I worked with the manager for a few minutes to check the status of the replacement parts order and they threw is some extra spare parts while they were at like a second cover, some extra wheels and bolts. 

I currently own a char griller akorn. I've had it for 3 years and it's starting to rust. I actually just got a new bottom as a replacement from chargriller CS beacuse the ash pan holder had rusted and broke. I haven't installed it yet because the clips still hold the ash pan on. 

With all that said I'm not sure if I'm gna keep the Vision. I know it's a great price but a little hesitant after reading up about the air leaks around the ash catch and vents. I will also need to buy new accessories for the vision including the lava stone and a few other items. I would like to go fully auto and get a PID controller for it. So people use those on a vision? I k ow they're papoluar with the akorn crowd. 

I figure I'll be all in about $450 with the stone , electric starter and a couple other accessories for the vision c. 

Should I take the plunge? 

I have a Vision and never use the starter.  Too unpredictable.  The fire usually gets too hot.  I have had some leakage on low and slow cooks but it never seems to affect the cook.  That is a great price.

7 minutes ago, BSA said:

I have a Vision and never use the starter.  Too unpredictable.  The fire usually gets too hot.  I have had some leakage on low and slow cooks but it never seems to affect the cook.  That is a great price.

What version do you have? What accessories. How do u setup charcoal for low and slow? Ring of fire or something else?

I have the Vision Pro S.. I load my lump over the air holes in the fire bowl and put one starter in the middle and light it.  Leave the grill open for 10 minutes to get it going.  You will have to play with your knobs to get the temp where you want it.  You may have a little problem with your fire going out while you learn the settings.  Big learning curve.  I usually shoot for 50 degrees under where I want it and start close by my vents down.  It is a learning curve but keep at it.  I have a deflector plate, a party q which I love for low and slow and the Maverick 732 to monitor my cooks.  I have probably spent way more on accessories than I paid for the grill!

21 hours ago, luca591 said:

Hi everyone. I was at home depot and spotted a vision C marked down to $469. It was a floor model and the last they had in stock. The top vent was broke and didn't have the interior 2x grill grate. I asked about lower pricing.  The manager came over and said they had ordered all the replacement parts for it and they would be in soon. I asked what the best they could do is and they said $100 off. I asked them to do better and they said $150 off. I agreed. I worked with the manager for a few minutes to check the status of the replacement parts order and they threw is some extra spare parts while they were at like a second cover, some extra wheels and bolts. 

I currently own a char griller akorn. I've had it for 3 years and it's starting to rust. I actually just got a new bottom as a replacement from chargriller CS beacuse the ash pan holder had rusted and broke. I haven't installed it yet because the clips still hold the ash pan on. 

With all that said I'm not sure if I'm gna keep the Vision. I know it's a great price but a little hesitant after reading up about the air leaks around the ash catch and vents. I will also need to buy new accessories for the vision including the lava stone and a few other items. I would like to go fully auto and get a PID controller for it. So people use those on a vision? I k ow they're papoluar with the akorn crowd. 

I figure I'll be all in about $450 with the stone , electric starter and a couple other accessories for the vision c. 

Should I take the plunge? 

My first kamado back in 2012 was a Vision Pro S.  I still own it and cook on it regularly.  Early on, I sealed the firestarter door shut with high temp silicone.  I also removed the "soft close" piston in the front--it really served no purpose for me and kind of got in the way of things.

Iv'e never cracked a firebox, never had trouble getting to or holding temperature, even as low as 200*.  Mine came with the CI top vent.

Early on I bought the CGS adjustable rack system and have used it exclusively ever since.  That was $$ well spent.

For about $450 all in, I'd say you are getting a very good deal.  

Should you take the plunge? Yes, you should.  I recommend you do it before someone else beats you to it.

Wow!  Awesome deal!  Even all in, you are doing great on price!  I use the electric starter on my S-series; I know there are faster and more efficient ways of starting, but the timing works well with my meal prep and grill start up rituals.  I'm running a CyberQ on my S-series also, the fan plugs in with an adapter to the electric starter door, and I love it!  Skip the Vision lava stone and get yourself the Ceramic Grill Store spider and stone.  I know you said you're an Akorn man, but the Vision is a great rig!

You should definitely go for it. Really the air leaks are just getting to understand your grill ,I am sure with the acorn it took some playing around to figure it out. With the ceramic it really holds the heat ,uses slightly more charcoal to get you there ,but once you are at temp it uses very little .If you think about it all the higher end vision grills are built with the electric igniter ,so if it was a real issue they would not build it that way. Sure the door might have some air leakage ,but you simply account for it by the amount you open the knob. Same as with a slider vent they have a lot of play in them.. If it is really leaking your grill will stay lit till it totally burns up all of the charcoal. The grills are not air tight. My grill is going on 4 years now still looks good, taken in Dec, I use the electric or charcoal chimney. Its up to you on the acc. but 2 pizza stones is all I have ever used ,I cook everything from the usual to breads and desserts even nuts .     

001.JPG

You will have a hard time finding a comparable ceramic at that price. Even with the purchase of accessories, vision brand, or not, you will still be ahead. It's a nice next step up from the acorn. 

In other words...another vote for keeping and enjoying. 

Im going on my 2nd year of having a vision b and couldn't be happier. Like almost any grill there's a learning curve, but that's all part of the fun. 

Thanks for all the input everyone. I already paid for it , I knew someone else was gna snatch it up. It's just a matter of if I go pick it up this weekend or cancel it. Can people link to the accessories they are using?  I read through the must have accessories thread and saw some good stuff there.  Do many people bother using an auto temp/PID controller?  On my akorn I broke several stones before I got the official akorn version. What are people using in their visions for ceramic stones?  Lastly I heard a rumour Vision was going out of business , anyone else here anything like that?